VB 4.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by WRX1, Jan 14, 2010.

1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

First off, thanks for the kind words on the upgrade. It does mean a lot to me with the amount of time I have into getting this all squared away.

With that out of the way, on to the issues. Yes there is some.

IE6 is just starting to get some fixes. Originally VB did not want to support it at all, and now they are making provisions to help out. So if you are on IE6, you get what you get. It will get better as VB releases more updates (another big one in 3-4 weeks).

The front page. Please use MNSubaru.com. There is no "news" forum anymore, so most news will be posted right on the front page. There is also going to be a couple of more sections to the front page, but those are things that I need to create after the site goes live. So it is coming, but I have a few other things that need to be done first. As for the "must be logged in" bit, I will have to look into that. Everyone has permission to see the front page, so I must be missing a check box (there is about 43598734590342983425 of them).

Theme issues. Yep a few there also. I will keep searching the stylevars looking for the places to make the changes. Again there is 498743593249845398324 different ones that I have to go through to find the correct spot and get the correct color. I think I have something for the "quick reply" box, but as I type this, it looks like I also have to hit up the new thread box.

Banner/Header. First off, big thanks go to mctenold. But we are still looking for some other choices for that and for the forum icons. Any changes will get implemented as we can make them. If someone comes up with a kick ass header tomorrow, I can get it online in minutes.

Blogs. I think i have them currently turned off. The idea on those is for a "builder blog". It will be a nice place for someone to document their current project, and I am not talking stage 2 cars (sorry). I am looking at Carl, Piddster, Meyhem83, Fuji, etc. You will have to create a write-up for the mods/officers to go over and from there we will open up the blog for you to document your build.

Other issues. There will be some and I will try and get them sorted out as quick as I can. There is still some issues with VB 4.0 itself, so some things will be on hold until VB releases the fix.

So in general, it is a work in progress. I will keep knocking out the issues that pop up. So please bear with us as we get everything up and running at 100%.

Russ

2. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Looks like the "not logged in" on the front page is a VB bug that is being fixed for the next update. As long as you get the new cookie from the site and you are logged in, everything will be fine. It is just a front page bug that VB needs to fix.

Russ

3. ricetiva

ricetiva Well-Known Member

when i click my book mark for mnsubaru, it sends me to mnsoc and wont let me see the page, and i can see threads by only clicking the whats new button!

4. seal

seal Member

Russ,the site looks great.

5. DougAnd

DougAnd Well-Known Member

Russ, this looks slick. Nice job.

6. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of your hard work Russ and Ryan.

7. n1ck

n1ck Well-Known Member

Everyone should pretty much just quit using IE6 at this point, it's a scourge on the internet. I know some people are stuck at work, however.

8. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

As Russ stated in a different thread, change all your bookmarks. The old links will NOT be restored. SO, start over. Click to http://mnsubaru.com and then reset your bookmarks.

9. ofspunk7

So you can go on Amazon, for about $12 get a SanDisk 4 GB Cruzer Micro with U3. It is a Thumb/Flash drive with software and internet browser on it. This allows you to use a better browser than what most work computers have on them. As well the internet use is encrypted. So they can see that you are using the internet but they can't tell what sites you are going to (unless they do a lot of work). One of the tech guys @ my work hooked me up with it. Hope to have it on Tuesday, and it is an easy fix for those of us with IE6

10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

That is the hard way.

Portableapps.com

The you can install all or part of any of the items in the suite. and a 4GB drive for $12 is highway robbery. I told you I can hook you up.

Russ

11. ofspunk7

Well that is what i get for not understanding.... i thought you were just saying that you get a good deal at costco. i didn't know that you meant that you had some to sell me.... oh well. the drive was like $7 but with shipping it was $12. Best Buy had the same one for like $35. So i thought i was getting a sweet deal... maybe not! I guess i know where to go when i need more. thanks man, i totally misunderstood what you were saying.

12. ricetiva

ricetiva Well-Known Member

well i would have done this, but i clicked my bookmark and it worked! lol so im happy now! :)

13. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

Great job, the site looks fantastic. It's neat, clean, attractive, and not overly fussy. I can tell you've put a lot of time and effort into it.

14. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill New Member

I like it, took me a few minutes to figure out where everything was, but then again I am relatively new to the site as well...I will say this is the most functional site update I have seen in a long time....Every other forum I have been on has had a lot of issues.....Great job!

15. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, props go mainly to Russ and Ryan for testing and work on the dev site prior to the site update. I'm impressed, too :).

16. zyklon

zyklon Well-Known Member

Looks great guys! One thing, after clicking the "new posts" button, and reading a thread or 2, threads that are marked as "read" don't become "un-bold" anymore. Is there some kind of visual cue for what you've read and what you haven't?

17. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the theads in the "new posts" section remain bolded even after you've read them. However, if you go to the actual forum that the thread is located, it will be unbolded.

18. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I go by the icon. The icon works fine.

19. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

same here.. after what 4yrs on this site and no changes to teh forum setup it is a fun time going through and getting the feel of teh new layout..

again.. Great work guys... love it... I love the dark themes, but as has been said the new posts in threads icon could use a better shade so it stands out a little better, but it is very livable as is too

20. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

One note:

What's with the text wrapping so early?

Also: The icons/avatars are much wider than they actually are (if that makes any sense?)

21. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill New Member

I think that might just be you Eli, I'm not having a problem with the dark theme, which I prefer to the default BTW, much easier on the eyes

22. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

The text wrapping is a VB bug. It is supposed to be fixed in the next update. It seems like it happens more with a smaller screen. My laptop is almost every other post, on my 24" monitor, it almost never happens.

As for the av thing, I think that VB just puts the box there for as large as the av can be, not how big the av actually is.

Russ

23. xBrian

xBrian Well-Known Member

Looks quite professional now. Less teenage boy surfs the net and more adult professional looking. It will take some getting used to for me. But definatly a change for the better. Nice work!

24. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Well-Known Member

not to add another problem to the fix it list but i noticed then when you edit a post or even start typing a post when you go to highlight it you cannot see what you are highlighting, its like its the same color as the text box background...just thought i would point that out. keep up the good work site looks great! and i second the teenage boy comment^^^

25. Zrxhooligan

Zrxhooligan Member

I just noticed that the post count isn't moving. I think I'm on my 6th 62 post..... sorry if you already know this.

edit: now its changing.....

26. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

looks great russ. Only thing I dont like is... I knew the other site now have to learn the new layout.. lol

Thanks for all the work you put into making the upgrade.

27. Matt D.

Matt D. New Member

The text wrapping seems to be random, but it's always the same posts and not always an entire thread. Just strange. I've seen some vB4 forums not have this issue at all.

28. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

It is fixed in the latest version of VB that I am still testing. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to get the latest update installed.

Russ

29. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

Thanks Russ.