Vf34 and ewg on a stock wrx

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by WWRX2002, Jan 14, 2017.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I have been using modded stock injectors for 8 years. They all flow tested around 780cc. The people that i have seen modding injectors around here usually flow test them.

Cost many moons ago was about $250 for modded stockers. I'm sure that has gone up over the years? Those ones that Joe posted for $400 would probably be your best bang for the buck and won't be as much of a headache as getting your own modded.

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Witchhunter is showing $25 per, plus you provide the injectors of course, and probably shipping to and fro.

They also say if you want 4 that are really closely matched, you're better off sending them like 8 and they'll pick the best matching 4. Only downside is they'll keep the other 4 in lieu of charging to mod them.

3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

There's a right way and a wrong way to modify a car.

The right way involves selecting the correct parts in connection with all aspects of your build, and getting a proper custom tune. This will increase your reliability (although it will be less reliable than stock).

The wrong way involves not doing your research, cutting corners to save money, and taking the easiest way to quick power. This way will be a lot less reliable than stock.

Finding the cheapest route for your build can quickly turn into the "wrong way" and you will have a higher probability of a bigger failure, that will cost you more money than the "right way" in the long run. [ok fine, even the "right way" can fail, but it is less likely than the "wrong way."]

When it comes to injectors, yes, you can mod your stock injectors to save money. You should definitely get them flow tested prior to using them, and ensure they are close together in flow (you'll have to research the tolerance, but I want to say the flow rate should be within 5-10% of each other).

If injectors do not have similar/close flow rates, one or several cylinders might get more or less fuel in relation to the others, resulting in one cylinder running extra lean (leads to detonation) or rich (you can wash out the cylinder). Definitely not situations that you want. The tuner can not program a certain injector to spray more fuel than another injector...the same settings are applied to all injectors.

Modded injectors also do not have a great spray pattern. When you "mod" stock injectors, you are cutting off the caps that have the spray pattern. Fuel basically sprays everywhere, and you may not get proper atomization of the fuel. With good aftermarket injectors, they still have caps that control the proper spray pattern for best atomization.

I'm a fan of Injector Dynamics, as was my tuner (they have extremely helpful tools for tuners). More info here...read to your heart's desire here: http://injectordynamics.com/the-library/

In short, they are better than others because they use brand new cores (not recycled injector cores, which apparently DW does) and have helpful tools for the tuner. They outline several other differentiations in their library.

The way to make the "right way" more economical (cheaper), is to buy used parts...which requires patience (for the right parts to come up for sale). Time is money...so if you don't have extra money, wait the extra time for the right used parts to come up for sale :)

And if you buy used injectors...you still need to get them cleaned and flow tested. There are a few local places in the twin cities that do cleaning and testing.

Good luck on the build man. Many of us (myself included) have been down the build path before and have made poor decisions in the past that we've learned from...we're all just trying to help. And my final disclaimer, when it comes to modding anything, don't take any single person's word for granted. Do your research, fact check, and then make an informed decision based on your research.

4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

This, myself included went the cheap quick power route. It ended with a blown transmission...then a blown diff...then a blown axle...the list goes on. Nothing makes up for proper planning.

TMF and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Oh yea, you bring up another good point...the transmission. I believe @WWRX2002 has a 2002 WRX, right? FYI, the transmissions in the 02's specifically are glass. Sure, they can last if you treat them nicely, but add more power and start doing mad pulls? Good bye. Better start a budget for a new transmission, just to be safe.

I'm not trying to be an a**hole, just providing you with information that you should be aware of.

6. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Better to sound like an a**hole and give good information than do nothing at all and let them spend a small fortune on finding out by themselves.

Krazylegz1485 and TMF like this.
  7. JasonoJordan

I treated mine nicely and still had mine go on a mundane shift from 2nd to third gear.

8. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Yea I heard the 2002 wrx Trans is glass and dude it's fine I'm here to learn. So transmission wise what would be a good upgrade and I'm not going to do much racing on this transmission in just wanted a fun DD

9. JasonoJordan

STI 6speed swap would be ideal. Another option is taking a bad transmission and having ppg gears put into it.

10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

03+ wrx stock transmission. I would recommend against an STI 6-speed due to cost, hassle, and too much shifting for DD. PPG's are also an option, but also $$$$ and not that reliable.

11. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

How well do those Moore transmission "blast plates" work? It sounds like the main issue with the 5mt is case flexing and supposedly these plates reinforce the weak spots. They claim they've dyno tested them over 750 hp :unsure:

12. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

I've got some modded injectors I want to sell if you're interested. I've also got some five-O 1200cc injectors as well that I need to sell

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  13. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother putting any money into a 5 speed.

14. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

So 03 and up transmission got it. Pmed for fuel injectors

15. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

What's $300 if they actually work? I just know they exist, haven't had any first hand experience with them.

16. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Closer to $400 and you can sometimes find a 02-05 replacement trans for similar. Not a lot of user reviews on them. Tough call. Speaks to what TMF mentioned earlier re: taking a systems approach when modifying a car. Helps to have some tangible outcomes in mind as well.

to the OP... Assuming your vf34 has the wastegate welded shut, you're probably better off selling it and using that money towards a modular upgrade path at the moment... i.e. start with the uppipe, downpipe, and tune. Decide from there. Should be close to breaking even with used hardware.

TMF likes this.