Walnut Blasting

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by jonny8852, Jun 3, 2021.

1. jonny8852

jonny8852 Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 wrx with almost 80k on it with a MAP OTS e30 tune. I am starting To get some feedback knock which then leads to some fine knock learning woth a reading of -5 to -8.

I have a protune at up to see if that fixes it but I want to see what are some other options before i do that. Does anyone know of a shop or someone that offers walnut blasting?

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I know sci performance (vw/audi shop) does walnut blasting but i don't know if the more specialized shops are willing to service non-brand specific engines

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I have a walnut tree, but the nuts have not dropped yet for this season. They start dropping in August and peak in September. Best time for picking up nuts is usually after a very windy day. Free for the taking.

4. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I believe I saw a post saying JM now offers walnut blasting

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Humor me, what is the walnut blasting for?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I believe it is to remove carbon deposits from the back of valves in direct injected engines. With port injection the air fuel mix washes over the backside of the valves and keeps them clean. Some engines now use a combination of port and direct injection.

phi11 and euro like this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Exactly what pillboy said, gdi engines get super carbon baked after so many miles and then bs like this happens (my veloster exhaust valve)
    20210514_153830.jpg

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yikes! Thanks for the info. I am familiar with all types of media blasting. Haven’t heard about using it in engines. Very cool

euro likes this.