Weight lifting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Natural2JZ, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Ahh come on man lol, I walk in with a stick of gum, headphones(normal ones) and thats it. I can be guilty of the Hoarder sometimes.

2. Essemo

Essemo Member

any of you guys pin up? im always at the lifetime in woodberry or bloomington off of 494. anyone else go to any of these gyms?

3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Alright, Squats version 2.0.

I tried to focus more on going down and back and keeping my elbows pointed down more. I also tried to tighten up a bit. I warmed up on the bar again and did 1x5 at 135 and then bumped it up to 185 for 2x5. I wasn't nearly as stable at 185 and form slipped a little.

Compared to Wednesday, it looks like I was going down and back a bit better. Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4747/y66lylmcqgtleydypvfuya.mp4

PS - back is def gonna be sore this weekend...knees feel ok so far :)

4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

TMF is a pin-up model

Looks better, Jordan. Back angle is better. Elbow position is better. You're sitting back a bit better as well.

Before I get into what I think you can work on next time, rewatch your video, taking note of the following, and let me know what you see:
    1st set) Look at your upper back and arm angle. What do you notice?
    2nd set) Look at your feet. What do you notice?
    3rd set) Look at your knees. What do you notice?
    Can you also post your whole set including warmups?

Jerf likes this.
  5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Hey now, let's not blow my cover...oh wait.

1st set) Yea, I "forgot" about the arm angle until the last rep and moved them. I'm guessing it would be better to have my arm angle in line with my back angle, and also avoid hunching?
    2nd set) Ok, apparently I like to wiggle my toes. My feet looked a bit more stable throughout the rep, but I need to maintain the stability throughout the set.
    3rd set) Weeeeee! Yep, some definite side to side movement on my knees, but surprisingly, this is better than a couple weeks ago. I am consciously try to keep them stable, but I think it might be lack of strength at this point. Almost painful to watch.

And yea, next time I can post my warm-ups too. Ultimately, I'd like to go and train with you for a day or two but unfortunately I have a work trip that popped up next week. Perhaps after that.

6. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

What gym is that? We have nothing like that down here in mankato... jealous!

7. idget

1st) Arm angle is going to depend on your leverages, grip width, and mobility. Mine changes from set to set but the key is it's consistent the entire set. Torquing your elbows down helps tighten your upper back. So get your elbows and upper back set before you even take the bar out. Glad you caught the hunching. It starts with your setup. Watch your upper back as you take the bar out of the rack. See how your upper back folds over? 2 things you can do to help this. First is to work on your setup and walkout. Set the hooks a notch lower, get your hips under the bar, and squat the bar out rather than lifting it out with your back. Second, do some upper and middle back accessories. Face pulls, incline rows, seated scapula retractions, etc...

2nd) Watch it again and notice the front to back movement. Take note of when you are shifting your weight. Most of this is due to a quad dominance (shifting to your toes). Some of it can be helped with some flat, thin soled shoes. Do you have any shoes like that?

3rd) Yup, lots of caving. A lot of coaches use the "spread the floor" cue. Meaning to actively put pressure on the outside of your feet (keeping them flat of course) and to constantly press outward. This cue doesn't really help me much but it might help you. What helps me is to actively think about tracking my knees outward on the eccentric and concentric. Personally, I think it's just something you need to be consciously working on. You could do some assistance on the good girl/bad girl machine if you want... but come on, it's only pleasant when hot chicks use them. Based on the little I've seen, I'm thinking it's more fatigue than lack of strength. Remember, SL is a beginner program meant for the masses, so it balances outright strength and strength endurance.

What I meant by warm ups is can you list out all your squat sets. For example, did you go barx10, 95x10, 115x5 or something? Also, was 185x5x2 considered your working sets?

8. idget

The one TMF posted or mine? His looks like lifetime/LA/globogym.

9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ehh its the LA Fitness in Uptown. This location has the darn octagon plates, but that's not a problem for most lifts. They have a decent amount of equipment, but it's always packed after work, which is why I go in the morning.
    1 - Yea, I'll try a notch lower. I would imagine that concentrating on keeping my shoulders back will help too.
    2 - I see what you mean about the shifting. I have several pairs of Red Wing's with flat soles, but I'm not sure I want to go stomping in there with boots on lol. I'll probably just pick up a pair of chuck's...they are pretty cheap.
    --Otherwise I think if I concentrate on driving more towards my heels or keep balanced (and not allow myself to shift forward to my toes), this will help too. I actually did a quick search and found this article. Seems like a good argument to keep a balanced position over the feet:
    http://deansomerset.com/2010/07/09/squatting-through-the-heels-why-it-only-works-for-pirates/
    3 - I think this will be a good tip, along with continued conscious effort. No good girl/bad girl machines for me on squats...not going to through in the towel.
    Speaking of girls, actually when I went to the separate room with the mats to do abs, there was a line of 3 smokin hot chicks in yoga pants doing synchronized ab workouts right next to me. I had to try my damnedest not to be "the fisherman." There were some definite dromedary phalanges.

So as far as my sets, I did the barx10 (didn't record), 135x5x1, 185x5x2. I normally do the usual SL workout (barx5-10x1, lighter weightx5x1, and my work weightx5x5), but I was trying to not over-stress my back today.

I definitely appreciate all the help, thank you!

10. Medic_538

Only the YMCA is even close to a gym down here. Sucks because they are all about crossfit **** and are weeding out almost everything else....

11. idget

No problem, bud. I'm glad you find it helpful!

1) Shoulders back might help. Chest open and drive out of the hole with your chest up work for me. Picking and fixating on a spot 30deg higher than your neutral gaze might help to.
    2) What size shoe do you wear? Chucks are good as are adidas superstars, new balance minimus (the flatter ones... mt line? maybe mx?), some thin soled vans, etc... I personally don't like the "get on your heels" cue. It's more your midfoot. Think about leverage in the bench press where you want your wrists and elbows to line up. Now apply that to the squat with your ankles and center of mass.
    3) lol, yeah I had to start training at 5am when I was still training at the uofm rec to avoid all the distractions.

Re: warmups... use these as a way to practice form, to get acclimated to the weight, and to get blood pumping. For example you can take as many reps as you need with an empty car or 95lbs to get the blood flowing. You probably need around 115 for it to be heavy enough to practice good form. It'll benefit you to take smaller jumps to get acclimated to the weight. You can take a single or a double so you don't wear yourself out, but take some more intermediate jumps. You jumped 90lbs then 50lb and your max is what? 250?

For example, from Monday I went:
    barx5 (paused at the bottom to find depth and feel how stiff I am)
    barx10 (quick to get the blood flowing)
    135x10 (partials at the bottom bc my hips were tight)
    135x5 (here on did them normally)
    225x5
    275x3
    315x3
    345x1
    365x1
    385x1
    405x1 (working set)
    405x2 (working set)
    405x2 (working set)

12. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Not to side track, but on the subject of Dromedary Phalanges I prefer when hot chicks hop on the hip abductor machine. It's like the damn thing is playing peek a boo.

idget likes this.
  13. idget

How far are you from Hasting and Montgomery?
    This listing isn't always updated, but a few phone calls might get you some results:
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

14. idget

I prefer stiff legged deadlifts...

stiff indeed

Jerf likes this.
  15. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This video is blatantly ridiculous....but I'm not gonna complain. Not one bit. lol

16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll have to check out the shoe options.

And I haven't determined my true max yet, but when I got to 190 was when I had more back pain. I was assuming it was a form issue which is why I cut back the weight. I've had back problems since I was young (something about growing 6 inches in a year doesn't jive well with your body) but squats didn't bother it until I got into the heavier weights. Ive been to the doctor when I was younger, but haven't been back since...if the correct form doesn't help, it might be time to go back to the ol' doc.

17. idget

How are you breathing when you squat? Are you familiar with belly breathing? If you're breathing into your chest, it elongates the spine. Obviously, during a spine compressing movement like back squatting, this can become an issue. I'm certain a lot of it has to do with your upper back and core strength not being able to keep up with your leg strength, but there are other things that can come into play as well.

18. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I'm probably not belly breathing, but I know what you mean by that. I should clarify that it's lower back pain, but I'm sure that it is all related to upper back, core strength, etc.

19. Medic_538

So the wife is starting herbal life... don't ask. Too long of a story. Anyway, they offered me a free body scan. Not as accurate as a water assessment but it was free and so I did it. Here are the results.

Weight- 212.4 pds
    Full Body fat %- 18.5
    Total Body water%- 60.8
    Full Muscle Mass- 164.8 pds
    Full Bone Mass- 8.4
    Basal Metabolic Rate/age- 2312/27
    Visceral Fat- 7
    Physique Rating- 6

So basically I am healthy but hold a lot of weight in my stomach area. It also broke the weight down by each extremity and my core. It was nice to see and have something to use as a comparasion.

20. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Not bad, How tall are you?

21. Medic_538

36 years old and 5 foot 11.

I didn't think it was that bad either. It was reiterated to me that I am not eating nearly as much as I should be. I still can't figure that out. I am not taking enough protein in nor carbs, not even fat...... FTW!

22. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Yeah It's amazing how few calories some people take in or how many they eat. Measuring is a good thing to do, it will surprise you. When I first starting tracking things I think I was taking in 1900 calories a day, and maybe 80 grams of protein per day. I was skinny fat back then. I was 5'11 145 and looked like I would lose a fight with a 3rd grader. Now I still wear the same pants I did then and I weigh 193lbs, mainly by focusing and tracking. I have gotten lazy though and don't write it down, but everytime I pick something up I usually know roughly how many calories are in it, and how many I have already taken in for the day becuase I usually eat some of the same stuff everyday.

23. Medic_538

Skinny Fat! Ha, that is funny. My wife get's so pissed when I tell her if I don't go to the gym I lose weight... She said, so let me get this strainght you lose weight because you don't exercise?

24. idget

Nice, medic.

Dexa scan?

You probably won't see defined abs unless you get down to high 180s. It took 8% for me to get my abs where I wanted them. Belly fat is usually the last to go unfortunately.

25. Medic_538

26. Silvertooth86

Silvertooth86 Member

Anyone here ever lift down in Mankato, MN? My cousins and I go to the Anytime down there.

27. Medic_538

Nope! lol

I use the YMCA but it is getting over run by dip****s and children that need their ass beat. I am looking at Anytime on Monday. It is half what I pay now.

How is the selection of free weights and how are their benches ie, incline? decline? Over head press available?

28. idget

In general those bio-impedence scales are precise but not accurate. They work great for tracking progress if you stay consistent with diet, hydration, time of weigh-in, etc... but there's a wide margin of error with those.

-Dexa is the way to go but expensive, hard to find, and most places require a doctor's note.
    -Bod pod is also good, but not for bodybuilders or anyone who is on a diet that manipulates glycogen. The test is quick and cheap. Most University's have one for public use.
    -Hydrostatic is also very good. It's more accurate than bod pod when it comes to glycogen. Downside is it's a pain in the ass and not many places do it.
    -Calipers can also be good if the operator knows what they're doing. These are general thought of as an additional tool to one or more of the above.
    -Bio impedance (ranging from the home scales you can get from target, the handhelds, the combo scale/handheld, etc...) are consistent and precise, but not very accurate. In short, they send an electric signal through your body and calculate your composition based off of your height/weight/gender inputs and the time it takes the signal to pass through your body. It doesn't take into account your hydration, glycogen depleted/full state, etc...

I'd take the results with a grain of salt. If you want to track progress at home, you can get a similar scale (they range from $30 to $300+) and just stay consistent with weigh ins (in the morning, after you piss, etc...). The mirror and how your clothes fit will also be useful tools. I bet with a little bit of macro tweaking you can easily get to where you want to be. Just remember the old saying "abs are made in the kitchen."

29. Essemo

Essemo Member

I know I already said this, but anyone go to LifeTime?
    i went to anytime for a year, I can tell you that you need to check out a few of them around you because with each having different owners, there are different equipment at each one. For example the one in Bursville had a lot of shoulder machines, but no dip machine or even bars to do dips, but the one in Coonrapids had almost no shoulder machines, but had bars to do dips. Overall though all anytimes do have free weights(dumbells from like 2lbs to 110 I believe) and benchpress racks. HOWEVER, be sure to read the rules of each gym, I know the one in St.Paul off of shepherd road did not allow dropping of weights at all, or grunting of any kind!! I also once went there during a saturday around noon and was told by a worker that maybe it would be best if I came back at a later time because some of the older people were getting intimidated. (im not that huge either) so thats why I made the switch to timeline, to me it's well worth the price!

30. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I actually know the owners of that one and the reason they don't allow is because the tenants above them have complained so many times that they actually have threatened to take them to court.

31. Essemo

Essemo Member

ya they had signs posted everywhere about that. I actually didn't mind the no dropping weight rule. If I had lived in those apartments I would be just as angry haha overall though the St.Paul one was the nicest anytime I had been to. VERY CLEAN!

32. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Boom! I take my CPT test April 27th at 8:30am

33. Medic_538

So I joined Anytime in Mankato and still have the YMCA for the time being. Anyone really think there is a difference in weight's? Anytime has the rubber coated ones and the Y has the weider weights. I feel like the ones at anytime are lighter... Is it just my imagination?

34. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

NO it is not just you. I did that once as well. I never weighed them but yes the metal felt heavier.

35. idget

The bar could be lighter. Some of those bright silver bars are 35lbs. Squatted the other day with a 65lb bar and was wondering why 405 felt so damn heavy. Had me windmilling like crazy too. Stupid 8.5' long bar lol

36. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Wayy off topic, but I just had to say something. I received my order from bb.com yesterday for my protein and they had 2 sample packs with hydroxycut elite in it, I decided to try it today and wow it works too good! I took it about 10 this morning and I have soo much energy and actually focused and the appetite supressant works too well. It's time to eat and I am not interested at all. So anybody who wants a pick up in the day and looking to shed some pounds this may be the way to go, or you can just hire me (cough, cough):D

37. Medic_538

It's cuz 405 is heavy.... Damn that's alot.

38. Essemo

Essemo Member

a lot of people at my work take that and they love it as well! From what Iv heard its the best stuff out there for weight loss

39. idget

Ec(a) stack is still king.

solomon likes this.
  40. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Alright Sheenis, Jerf, etc...after a long hiatus (haven't lifted since June/July) and only focusing on cardio this summer, it's time to get back to the gym since the weather is turning crappy outside.

I figure I might as well start with good habits this fall. I squatted last night and I experience some back/knee pain right on my first set :mad:

Here's a vid from my last set. Advice? I was trying to emphasize going down and back (practically on my heels) and my back is very arched :unsure:

41. idget

Probably poor mobility. Especially in your hips. Do some agile 8 or similar pre-squat. Tighten up. A lot. Big belly breathe, squeeze your ass, and pull through the bar.

Watch your set again. First time around just watch your hips. Second tie around just watch your knees. Use more hips, it's not a knee extension exercise. Work on your timing as well. There's a weird hitch as you break your hips, then your knees, then try to reach back but end up sitting down near the hole. Same on the way up. You aren't shifting forward as bad as last time I saw you squat but it definitely looks like you're trying to get out of the hole by activating your quads and calves first. Pause bottom squats after your working sets can help with that. They force you to use your posterior chain out of the bottom.

42. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ok cool, thanks for the quick response. I think watching some good examples might be helpful as well - Mehdi (Strong lifts guy) has some good instructional videos, but any others that you recommend? I know there are a lot out there, but not all are necessarily best.

43. idget

I'm not a huge fan of internet coaching/teaching. Every coach has a different philosophy and game plan... look at the rippetoe squat controversy. Also you can't really get your point across accurately when you're talking to the masses yet every person has different leverages, weaknesses, needs different cues, etc... But the sytycs series is good.

Just nail down the basics right now imho. Get tight, generate tension, be explosive. You look like a wet noodle and you're kinda just going through the motions. Work on mobility and strengthen your hips, hamstrings, and middle back. Get some time under the bar and you'll eventually "feel" what's going on and will be able to adjust. It takes years to get technically proficient so build up a good foundation by focusing on flexibility and tightness. Those two things will keep you safe and efficient.

Your setup looks a lot better.

44. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the advice Sheen. I'm sticking with it, still a bit of knee pain and back pain, but I think the back pain is getting better. I've really been trying to focus on belling breathing and keeping my core tight throughout the lift and pulling through the bar. I've also been trying to go down and back but make sure I keep my weight even on my feet as I push back up.

Jordan's next question of the day: do any of you use any additional supplements, like this AminoX stuff? http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/aminox.html

I got a free sample of Hydroxycut and AminoX in my last protein shipment. I tried a hydroxycut and the **** make me bounce off the walls...and I'm not exactly trying to lose weight. Won't be taking that again.

I tried the AminoX this morning, drank it on the way to my workout. I still feel pretty energized now, but I'm not sure if it will really be useful long term or bad for my health? Anyone use AminoX or recommend anything else? I'm mainly looking to lean out and build strength.

45. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

I use AminoX right now actually. It gives you a nice little jolt and helps with the recovery of your workouts. Im not professional in this section but its basically a blend of BCAA's and Amino Acids that are broken down by the body and are used as protein I believe.
    I think Sheen has a better recommendation to be honest. the one he sent me is pinned on my chrome browser at home.