Welcoming the new (to me) LGT

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by dhanso312, Aug 17, 2013.

1. dhanso312

dhanso312 Well-Known Member

So after selling my WRX I knew I either wanted an 05 LGT or 04 FXT.. Ultimately I wanted an LGT just for the, I will say "class" and something that I would be happy to show up to an interview in (as I will soon be doing such).

I had been talking with a guy down in Nebraska about his LGT for the past two months while I was living out of state and never thought I would get the opportunity to throw him an offer.. it was "too good to be true" type of deal in my book.

So onto the good stuff:
    Today I met the guy in Sioux City Iowa after negotiating a price for an '05 Legacy GT unlimited (lacks the leather seats and sunroof), but still was pretty thrilled about the new purchase.

Car details:
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Unlimited
    Color: SWP
    Miles: 86,000
    Transmission: 5SP Manual
    Mods: Nada... yet
    Wheels: Some knock off Drag wheels of some sort that are round and seems to roll on the road, and also the stockers for some winters come that time.

Ultimately I would love to keep it roughly this way minus new(er) wheels, suspension (coils or struts/springs) leaning towards the latter, short shifter and new shift knob, and a boost gauge.. of course these are just thoughts I have in my head. Start out with the cheap and make my way up to the more expensive is the plan. I have no need to track/race it and make it all crazy, just something practical that I will be able to drive reliably for a considerable amount of time.

Now for some photos.. I will start with the one that I took with my phone today right as I bought it.. Tomorrow (or so) will come more from the DSLR.

Of course MNSubaru stickers will be thrown on there for extra horsepower.

Anywhooooo.. that's the story. I'm sure she's happy to be in the club. More will come as I think of it.. and as I work on it.

Immediate plans are stated above, first things first I need to get Yakima Q-towers for my bike as I have everything minus the towers.. so as we progress I will continue the post.

Dan

Attached Files:

• LGT.jpg
      LGT.jpg
      File size:
      511.9 KB
      Views:
    Freddy, turkeylord, Weird0 and 2 others like this.
  2. Thomas84

Thomas84 Active Member

Nice ride! I think your first mod should be MNSubaru stickers. They usually add about 40 hp.

3. dhanso312

Haha, that's what I've heard. I think it is generally 20HP each, so your math is correct. Thanks for the compliment. I'm pretty excited for the new ride.

4. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Welcome!, we have a 09 SWP spec b and love it! You should check to see if the filter is still in the oil feed line to the turbo. If it is remove it !

phi11 likes this.
  5. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

And the cat in the Uppipe... Then cross your fingers

phi11 likes this.
  6. dhanso312

I have been looking into this, you're talking about the banjo bolt correct? I will check that out sometime soon here. Thanks for the heads up

This one, however, is new to me. I can look around on the forums to see if I can find it. If it is an easy explanation, would you mind PMing me?

7. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

Yes he's referring to the banjo bolt... But I suggest removing all three banjo screens... 2 are fairly easy (front of engine by where the head meets the block) the other one is a PITA w/out removing the snail...

As for the Uppipe... Just replace it with STI, 08+ WRX/LGT or aftermarket Uppipe

8. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Maintenance/fluid change should be done soon and the timing belt is due in the next year or so

Any noise coming from the back might be the wheel bearings and there is a recall for the brake lines if the previous owner never took it in

9. dhanso312

Doesn't sound too hard to do. Once I get some cash flow back to the pocket I will do the uppipe, probably around October or so when I can get into a garage. Thanks for the tips and points here.

All were just recently done, the guy was a mechanic and as was the original owner. The guy I purchased it from just did wheel bearings this week actually. I will look into the brake lines as well. Thanks for the information.

10. dhanso312

I guess if someone wants to move this to general discussion they can. I swear photos will be here sometime. Wasn't sure on where to put it at first. Thanks again to all helping out here with the transition.

One question I have, the passenger detection goes off all the time. I tried the 20 clicks in 30 seconds deal but couldn't seem to get it to work. Any other ideas on what I could do minus just buckling the seatbelt.. that's what I'm doing right now, but don't want to do that forever.

11. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Turn the ignition to the on position.
    insert and remove the buckle 20 times as fast and as sooth as you can.
    Turn the ignition to the off position.
    Turn the ignition back on and the chime should be gone.

turkeylord likes this.
  12. dhanso312

I will give it another whirl, there is a pretty good chance I am doing it wrong (hence the chime is still there). Will keep everything posted here.

13. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Everything under the seat plugged in? The seat belt trick will work until the next time the ECU is reset.

14. dhanso312

Gave it another whirl about an hour ago.. worked like a charm. Not too sure what I did different, but no more chime.

bikerboy likes this.
  15. dhanso312

Whoo yeahh.. a few photos!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Weird0 likes this.
  16. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Redo last photo with window down and door closed.. ;)

Great shots, Dan!

Windchaser likes this.
  17. Weird0

Weird0 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new ride Dan!

18. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I really dig the white.

Fatboy Walrus likes this.
  19. dhanso312

I knew someone would comment on the open door haha. Didn't realize it until I was doing some processing. Thanks Chris.

Thanks, I'm really quite happy with it.

Thanks! As am I. It is my first white car so getting used to how easily dirty it gets will be something new. But that's just minor.

20. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

Also the chiming will come back if you ever un plug the battery..if you want to permanently get rid of it you can either open up the part where the seat belt clicks into and unplug the sensor..(there is a thread about this on lgt.com) or you can remove the seat and unplug it from underneath there. welcome to the lgt club! have you thought about exhaust options?

21. dhanso312

For right now I'm just going to leave it as it is. I will look into that thread though. I haven't really thought too much about exhaust options yet minus the exhausting of my bank account purchasing the car did. Probably going to keep it fairly stock until next summer or so. It all depends on the dollars I have around that time.

22. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

Lovely!

SWP master race

23. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

Car looks great in person too, congrats again!

24. Jim C

Jim C Active Member

Nice car!

25. dhanso312

First mod everyone.. Cobb shift knob. Looking to buy a Cobb or Kartboy short shifter here. Once I gather some money I will start looking into suspension. Leaning towards STi shocks and Swift springs? Anyone have input on something of that sort.

26. Ctracey218

Cobb double adjustable ss .. I love mine. Just sayin

27. dhanso312

That's the one I was looking at. There was a guy that had one for sale on a different forum but ended up selling it to a local guy. I will keep my eyes out for one of them here.

28. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

Congrats. Love the white.

29. dhanso312

Thanks! I'm really loving the car all around. Currently bidding on some q towers to get the roof rack back up there.

30. dhanso312

And with that being said, I just won new-ish Q-Towers, clips, and pads on eBay for $105. That's a steal in my book. Pics will follow come install time.

Ctracey218 likes this.
  31. dhanso312

What I've got coming in within the next week here..
    Cobb Shift Knob - Blue
    Yakima Roof Rack accessories (Q-Towers)
    Grimmspeed TGV Deletes - A tune shortly to follow

Come payday.. if that ever comes..
    Cobb adjustable short shifter
    Prosport Boost Gauge (possibly)

Ultimately save for suspension goodies.

32. Ctracey218

33. dhanso312

34. dhanso312

Well I'm a genius and didn't realize the core charge for the TGV stuff.. bought the service not the actual core. Core has now been ordered and will *hopefully* be here within the next three weeks. I will then do as planned and put them in.. ship back my cores.

Go Dan Go :facepalm:

35. that-dude

that-dude Well-Known Member

nice! +1 for the no sunroof and no leather seat.

36. dhanso312

So, got my Q-Towers int the mail today and got everything together. Pretty thrilled to be able to throw the bike up on top rather than inside. However, somewhere down the line I will be looking to buy a bigger (wider) fairing as the one I have fits well with wagons.. not so much with the naked roof. If anyone wants to trade or buy mine PM me.

In the mean time here is a quick photo from about 10 minutes ago.

[​IMG]

37. dhanso312

So today mid-drive to class my car decided to go into limp mode; threw a P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “D/E” Voltage Rationality. It was great.

From what I've gotten after searching the interwebz is the car is actually a transformer (not really). However what I have found is it is somewhat common, but no one has a definite answer. Many say it is the accelerator sensor or the throttle position sensor. I have cleaned the accelerator sensor at the pedal, but need a little bit more time to get to the throttle body. So I'm going to do that after class. It appears many get this after driving 50-100 miles every after something goes wrong. I'm hoping it ins't anything significant as the whole limp mode is not a very fast way to travel.

What I understand is it could be anything from the ECM to just the accelerator sensor all the way to the whole accelerator assembly which could cost upwards of $1,400.. I'm going to see how everything goes here and will keep everyone posted on what happens within the next week or so.

If anyone has ideas on what it could be or what needs to be done so I don't have to worry about this please let me know. It is very annoying and frustrating not knowing. Feel free to post here or shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
    Dan

38. turkeylord

We could swap in my pedal assy and see if the problem goes away...

39. dhanso312

I'm going to check and see what happens here for the next few days. From what I've read it isn't an everyday thing. It kind of happens out-of-the-blue type of deal. I will keep you posted if that does end up needing to be done. Thanks!

turkeylord likes this.
  40. dhanso312

Keeping it somewhat updated.. Turkeylord helped me put in the GS TGV deletes this past weekend. Going to see Nuke next weekend for a road tune to take care of the CELs. While I'm home I will also be changing my oil, dealing with my disgustingly dark tail lights, and general cleaning of everything. Next on the list of things I would like to do (purchases): Fix my airbox (or lack there of), Cobbs SS, new Uppipe, look for winter tires for the OEM LGT wheels (let me know if you've got some), and maybe a boost gauge by Prosport..

That's as far as I've thought. I will get some fresh photos soon here. Maybe even today as it is a mighty fine Fall day.

turkeylord likes this.
  41. Ctracey218

I might have the boost gauge you are looking for!

42. dhanso312

Fo realz? White and red electronic prosport one?

Ctracey218 likes this.
  43. dhanso312

So just to get everyone caught up here...

Been pulled over twice in the past two weeks for tint. Thankfully they've both been warnings, but need to get that fixed. I think I'm going to try the prescription approach as I do get rather significant migraines and light is like the devil when they're going in full force.

What's been done:
    -Winter mode has been executed.. well 75% winter wheels and tires are on. Need to drill holes for my mudflaps and put those on around Christma... Holiday time.
    -Smoked tail lights have been un-smoked. Used carb cleaner and then used a headlight restore kit on them. They look good as new and don't seem to have any side effects from using the carb cleaner as some have experienced.
    -Just purchased (about 2 minutes ago) a Prosport electric boost gauge as Cyber Monday saved me 50%. I'll post pics when that's up. Probably won't be for a few days after I receive it. After holiday time I hope to buy an oil pressure gauge and put both gauges in the little opening above the radio.
    -STi uppipe is in my possession.. just needs to get put in. That'll happen whenever it's relatively warm-ish (in my garage) over my winter break.

Stuff for the future:
    -Cobb STS
    -Downpipe/full exhuast
    -Perrin TMIC... Let's just say, I hope to be stage 2 by the next summer. (yes this is a bit of an outlook).
    -Around April I'll be doing suspension, summer wheels, and tires.
    -Suspension will more than likely be Bilsteins with Swift springs
    -Wheels will hopefully be CTracey's Rotas if he's still got them around then.
    -The rest is unknown. Just slowly but surely making progress..
    -Oh yes, and more than likely will be doing a clutch and timing belt shizzz come next summer as well.
    -$$$$$$$$...$

Ctracey218 and turkeylord like this.
  44. dhanso312

Oh yes, and a winter-ish mode. It's currently snowing up here so I'll get some fresh snow pics sometime here. 2013-11-30 19.37.04.jpg

turkeylord likes this.
  45. turkeylord

Or the next time you're in Fargo... Jussayin...