What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Replaced the cabin air filter in our 03 WRX. Completely overlooked doing this for a number of years. When I pulled it out, I almost needed to bring in a rake and leaf blower to help with the mess. Nasty!

Takalak and tangledupinblu like this.
  2. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

Most of it came off pretty easily after covering the area with soapy water and few passes from a pressure washer. It actually got inside the little area between the door where the mirror attaches and dripped all the way down to the bottom so that was fun to clean. I guess I should be happy it was a frozen dairy beverage and not something worse.

Right after the wash
    [​IMG]

And this morning
    [​IMG]

I'm still finding little bits here and there, like on the tires. Overall, would not recommend coating car is frozen dairy products

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

So frozen dairy products are not the new plastidip?

4. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not, unless you like the smell of day old, no longer frozen dairy products in which case you are in for a treat

5. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Went up north to the lady friends cabin. Summer tires weren't working well on the gravel but still had a blast.

Annnd the aftermath
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    derp, subie-roo and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Just refinished some wheels I picked up from @TheCocaColaMan. Thanks dude!

Attached Files:

7. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

not really today, but the last few weeks I've gotten some opportunities to do several things that I might as well share with the community.
    ~Took the Buggy to the St John Hospital and had my 4th Child. My only girl.
    ~Timing belt and Water pump, thermostat. corrected the corner belt guides that were causing the cover to not sit correctly. also replaced the stock center belt guide with a Tomei one that allows more clearance for thicker belts. The last belt had a groove cut into it from incorrect guide gaps.:( Then painted the cover WRB.
    ~ Cut up a blitz FMIC kit and put that in so the plumbing suited my fancy; replacing my beautiful but prime real estate consuming GS TMIC that I welded. (I think someone on here may be buying it, so that makes me happy.)
    ~Shaved a bunch of unused mounts off of my stock plenum. Looks much smoother.
    ~Removed all the fuel components under the bonnet except the fuel filter (kinda wish replaced that as well)
    ~ Plumbed a flow through parallel set up with Radium rails and dampeners, Russell -6AN lines and fittings. AEM FPR. I never want to smell fuel leaks again in the middle of winter from the recalled stock series ran lines.(Fingers Crossed)
    ~ Modified my own custom coolant expansion tank to be relocated directly in front of the pass side shock tower.
    ~Finished for the time being my custom steel tube bumper. Mounted my oem fogs. Completed the 20's ford rad shroud grill section as well as the other removable panels to keep the insides a little cleaner. Prolly a little more aerodynamic as well I assume. but most of all it will be strong enough for me to be comfortable in both the summer and our panel breaking winters, knowing my fmic is protected. There will be a "hood ornament/badge" that will directly reflect my childhood so stay tuned for that.
    ~I have things at powder coat and have some special vinyl wrap on its way. ill be wrapping my hood, trunk, flares, side skirts, roof rack fairing, and if I have enough my front lip. Im going with vinyl because I have rock chips on both my hood and my trunk that I want to seal up as cheap as possible and not looking like trash. This will also let me even more lazy and not do body work on my flares, just wrap them! :bounce: never wrapped before so wish me luck. I got some high quality di-noc so hopefully that tech helps.

~Soon as things get back from powder ill be putting it all back together and adding the GS Crank pulley, GS3Port Boost Controller Solenoid, phenolics, and I have an appointment with JMA to tune this girl on the 14th. Its about time to drive her now. til' then I wait

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  8. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hot damn. I'd ask for pics but I'm assuming that'd defeat the purpose of that surprise element you mentioned elsewhere. Looking forward to seeing this at the GS hangout, tho.

Also, congrats on #4. Is your car the one with 3 car seats across the back seat all the time? That's impressive. We have a hard enough time making just one (rear facing) work and having enough room to be comfortable.

Takalak likes this.
  9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yeah, he's a tall mofo just like you!

My guess on the emblem/logo/badge is...
    IMG_0614.GIF
    Thundercats yo!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  10. Takalak

Yeah Mr. Krazylegz Children's car seats are a nuisance but once they are big enough to face forward, it changes the game.
    Tangledupinblu. What I have in mind had a lot larger grasp on my childhood than the Thundercats did. so I say you take that one. to tell the truth that emblem is probably cooler than what I'm doing. lol

tangledupinblu likes this.
  11. tangledupinblu

Guess number two...
    IMG_0617.JPG

Takalak likes this.
  12. Takalak

Naw, still keeping it in the cartoon world

13. Krazylegz1485

[​IMG]

tangledupinblu, pillboy and Takalak like this.
  14. Takalak

what is that!? lol

15. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I think it's a BMW.

16. tangledupinblu

That was fantastic! Thank you!
    Guess number 3...
    IMG_0618.JPG
    :)

Takalak likes this.
  17. tangledupinblu

Ambiguously Gay Duo!!
    IMG_0619.JPG

Cotts612, pillboy and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  18. Takalak

no but you guessed my hood piece :eek::bounce:

19. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Bought @Takalak 's G/S TMIC and mounted it.... It does take up alot of realestate but well worth it.
    Took it for a test spin and was hitting 1.2psi more @ peak boost over the STI unit I removed.
    Needless to say THANKS to a great dude and a great deal!

20. tangledupinblu

James is a samurai...and you just bought his intercooler...because of this, your car now has samurai powers as well...congrats!

Takalak and MrBlue like this.
  21. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Soooo your sayin i'm drivin a SAMUREX!:bounce:

22. Takalak

U guys are hilarious. Yeah im glad i could show some Minnesota Nice to a guy who recently resided elsewhere though. #bugeyesarethebest

MrBlue likes this.
  23. MidnightImpreza

Finished the white wheels. Went "tuner" with some blue lugs. However, I can't upload the picture. It's only 2.36 MB. The requirements say 5 MB max. Wtf?

TheCocaColaMan likes this.
  24. MidnightImpreza

Now I got it. 20170909_153554.jpg 20170909_153530.jpg

25. Takalak

Happy to report I got all the engine bay stuff buttoned up. She's Purdy to me again. I still need to reinstall the rear sway but all she needs now is a oil change and coolant fill so I can test the new fuel system. Anybody know what psi to run the fpr at off the top off their head?

MrBlue and tangledupinblu like this.
  26. Flipndabrd

Flipndabrd Well-Known Member

Installed a Kicker Hideaway sub under the passenger seat of the Forester. I'm underwhelmed with the performance of the sub. The install is clean though.

Takalak and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  27. GrumbleRumble

GrumbleRumble Well-Known Member

I tried the Hideaway as well. I'm underwhelmed/disappointed too, with the added weirdness that when the bass does hit I start diagnosing it like, "Oh man, where is that new vibration coming from?" :facepalm:

My butt-dyno needs a recalibration

28. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Attempted to replace the cabin air filter on our 05 LGT. Took everything apart. (its a bit of a chore on this model) Got to it and realized my car doesn't have one and secondly if it did, there is a metal bracket is in the way preventing or at the very least seriously hindering a replacing of it. There are retro fit kits available as I understand it. I think I am better off without one.

Takalak likes this.
  29. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

Finally got around to installing my STI spoiler over the weekend, back looks a lot better now. Thanks Jesse and @MN_XV_712 for help on the install!

Attached Files:

30. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

43 psi

31. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Winter prep with some OEM mud guards

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Battery died over the weekend and the OEM tie-down wouldn't fit. Picked up the mail today and this beaut from Alluminati was waiting in my mailbox.
    tie down.jpg

33. tangledupinblu

Picked up some new shoes for the WRX!
    IMG_0696.JPG

Was going to buy from Tire Rack, but Discount matched their price and even threw in the "replacement warranty". 4 new General Altimax Arctic...$458 out the door=(4 new tires, dismount and discard old, mount and balance new, replacement warranty) Ready fur dah snowz :)

Takalak, Cotts612, jubella2 and 2 others like this.
  34. JasonoJordan

Get me a set while your at it.

35. tangledupinblu

They are offloading last years inventory to stock up with the new stuff before the snow flies.

36. JasonoJordan

Thanks. I called discount to see if they can hook me up on my fav snow tire. Cooper Weathermaster. They show them on their website for $95ea special order. Would be awesome if I can get them at that price. Normal price on them are around $130 a tire.

37. JasonoJordan

*Update* They can get them. $95 a tire. +$13 a tire for certs. Ordered 4.

38. Krazylegz1485

So Discount is the place to go right now for a snow tire deal... Hot damn.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  39. tangledupinblu

Yus

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  40. JasonoJordan

If you have the discount credit line card you also get $50 MIRB back with a set of 4 tires purchased.

41. Takalak

Drove the buggy to JMA today for a tune. Fried my fuel pump then had the infamous misfire appear out of nowhere. So I left it to them to sort out. Figured they have the procedure down pat by now. Ugh. Just want it done. Hoping it's just plugs and not $400.00 for new coils cu my wife would be PISSED. Hoping to get it back on Monday. Let's all pray now together... Awesome thanks.

42. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

BOOO, Dislike

Takalak and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  43. Krazylegz1485

Man. Must've jinxed yourself by saying you'd drive it tonight. My condolences to you and your car.

MrBlue and Takalak like this.
  44. Takalak

The BamBlu Buggy is back in my possession once again. apparently Jessie from JMA called me a few times on Friday that they had it all buttoned up, but I was too busy with the family's last weekend of Dad's baby leave.
    I was explaining a dynometer to my wife as a vehicle's exam. You bring in what you have built and see if it passes the test. So with that in mind I see to it as my car failed its fuel pump section and got 3 out of 4 on the coil pack section. And because I didn't ace the coil packs then I in turn fail the spark plug section as well.
    If you followed that, then u would now know that I needed a new fuel pump(255), and a new coil pack, and keeping things proper got new spark plugs. These were the things that caused me to not flawlessly dyno tune.
    I give myself a B+. My car didn't blow up and is back on the road.
    she definitely runs smoother than ever before. I asked for a conservative 18psi and thats what both the dyno graphs said however my wideband was reading 19 and 20. Not sure what this means. Would hate to have a faulty gauge. Im gonna call them up and ask these and some other questions I have but so far; after a few hours of having it back; I am well pleased.
    Back to the readouts. Like I said both of them said 18psi. One had a peak HP of 280 and the other 250. This makes no sense to me. I am probably suffering from unfamiliarity since I haven't been on a dyno for several years. I have an open source tune so no multiple octane maps on an Accessport. hmm.
    Now just need to wrap the rest of the things I wish to wrap and she will be cool. Until winter comes... then she goes to ice cold lol had to

Ps Im really scared of breaking my transmission now if I really am at 280. I don't launch her, or even really speed shift at all, but man talk about driving on eggshells...or something like that.

45. JasonoJordan

If your on the stock 02 trans then yea you should be scared lol. I didn't drive it hard at all by anymeans and had my 2nd gear go just pulling out on a highway slowly shifting from 1st to 2nd with no real load. Blew my mind at the time as well.

Takalak likes this.