What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

*thumbs down*

2. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Got the Prodrive grille cleaned up and painted, finished it off with a new emblem and grille badge (I did end up painting the fog covers too). Gotta say I really like how it turned out.

Before:
    20171115_195936.jpg

After:
    20171115_195327.jpg

Takalak, Jason C, silver03 and 5 others like this.
  3. tangledupinblu

Looks fantastic!! Did Dennis paint them?

Have him call me for his stuffz!

4. pleiades

Thanks! And no, I don't make it that way very often lately so I had it done at another shop over by you. I told him to get a hold of you but I'll text you his new number.

5. tangledupinblu

Cool! That ProDrive grille looks better than i was expecting! Glad that you grabbed it

6. pleiades

Same here. For a while there I wasn't sure if I really should've but I'm glad I did. Kind of a subtle change in style from stock but it made a big difference.

7. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

That car is super hot!

pleiades likes this.
  8. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Got some new all season tires. Just waiting for some snow. Also gotta get Astro start installed. Got a unit from last non subaru ride that rolled.

Attached Files:

9. pleiades

I know, way late to the party but I thought I'd reply anyway since I have the tails tinted on both my bugeye and my Pilot. The biggest issue I usually see is people doing a DIY job using a rattle can of Plastidip or VHT or something. In most cases it looks like they just kept adding coats until the lens is pitch black with no apparent consideration for how much light can still come through. I've tried that method myself and would never recommend it. Headlights are never a good idea no matter how you go about it.
    The WRX and Pilot were both done at a body shop using clearcoat that was tinted with a little black, spraying just enough to give full coverage but still keep them visible. They're not totally blacked out and it seems to have had a minimal effect on light output. I know any amount of tint could be potentially unsafe and/or illegal, but I also think that comes in varying degrees depending on how it's done.

20171121_203928.jpg
    20171121_202351.jpg

I'm not trying to say it's a good idea or that there's really any right way of doing it, I guess just a "that doesn't seem like a good idea but whatever" way and a "holy sh*t I can't believe someone would do that" kind of way. As far as why people do it, the only reason there ever can be is purely for aesthetics. Just like a slammed or lifted suspension, a nifty body kit, or limo tinted windows, it can make a car or truck look cool, but usually sacrifices driveability and safety. There's almost always a trade-off to modifications like that. The part people struggle with is maintaining any restraint and ending up amplifying those downsides (i.e. exaggerated camber, stretched butthole tires, and pitch black lights), all in an attempt to look cool but really just bringing hate and ridicule on themselves.
    Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into an essay. Started off just wanting to show that not every car with tinted lights is as bad as that Charger you saw and got carried away.

Jason C likes this.
  10. tangledupinblu

When i had my tail lights professionally tinted i went with film so that it could “easily” be removed. I also upgraded my lights to a MUCH brighter LED with the flashing feature (blinks 3 times and then comes on solid). I think that you can tint tails “safely” with the right products and research. And i would never tint my headlights. I feel like I already need to drive around with my high beams on as it is!>old man eyes...lol

Unfortunately, most people that do it only care that it looks cool...not so much about how well they work.

pleiades likes this.
  11. pleiades

My thoughts as well. I've been meaning to swap in LEDs on both cars too, I'm sure I will be sometime soon.

12. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

2 new front axles on the LGT today and a fancy tow truck ride for the Outback to JM Auto for headgaskets :(

13. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be hating on cars or the people who have tinted lights. A little tint can make things look nice as in your example. I have no doubt I could easily spot your brake and turn signals in broad daylight. That Charger I saw was just plain ridiculous. I couldn't tell if he was braking or signaling a turn. Might as well not even have lights at all.
    I do agree with LED lights. Those are rather brighter than comparable incandescent bulbs. I installed the low rear JDM fog light and had to wrap the LED bulb in several layers of window tint to bring the brightness down otherwise it was as bright as the brake lights.

pleiades likes this.
  14. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

BRZ wheels on an 01 Forester.

[​IMG]

jubella2, tangledupinblu and pleiades like this.
  15. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Washed them both… in my driveway on November 27!

tangledupinblu and pleiades like this.
  16. Jason C

Wow... That is one seriously sharp bugeye. Got more photos of it?

pleiades likes this.
  17. pleiades

Thanks! With the new lights, grille, etc just that picture and this one. Won't be driving it again until spring so I'll have to wait until then to get better ones. 20171116_192418.jpg
    And an old shot of the rear, nothing changed back there since then. 2017-02-02 13.59.46.jpg

Takalak, ocie, Jason C and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jason C

Very cool. Yeah, the tinted rear lights look good on the bug. So since you swapped to a front intercooler, does the hood just have a Evo-style vent? Does that serve to pull more air through the intercooler?

19. pleiades

Yeah, it's a "reverse cowl" hood from Kaminari. Not sure how much it really helps airflow through the coolers, but the scoop no longer served a purpose and didn't exactly help my drag coefficient. When my car got hail damaged the hood needed to be replaced anyway so I went that route. Hail was the same excuse I gave my wife for getting that Velocity trunk lid with integrated lip spoiler. It only got a few dings on it, but I really liked that trunk.

Krazylegz1485 and jubella2 like this.
  20. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

I upgraded my stock stereo from the 2016 WRX to a stock stereo from a 2016 forester. Sounds like a basic change, but man does the 2016 WRX stereo suck... $170 all in for the radio and a harness and about 40 minutes of install time. Radio sounds much better and bluetooth doesn't take 45 seconds to connect.

Anyone want to buy a used 2016 WRX stereo? It's better than a kick in the pants...

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  21. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Well... not me...but my dad replaced his AW 02 WRX Wagon with a 2018 DGM STi today, and man is it beautiful! I went out with them to see it as they signed the paper, and per usual, I enjoyed just walking around the showroom sitting in all of the cars too! A big shout out to @Squiggly for his help with the process and helping him get exactly what he wanted!
    upload_2017-12-2_12-34-10.png
    upload_2017-12-2_12-34-27.png

Side note:
    I think it's safe to say (and I know I'm close to beating a dead horse with this...) that every other model in the line up has more comfortable seats than the Forester.

TMF, jubella2 and pleiades like this.
  22. tangledupinblu

Mike is good stuff! Congratulations on the new addition!

Edit: what happened to the wagon?

23. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to assume your dad is pretty bad ass.

24. silver03

Are you getting the 02WRX wagon?

Takalak likes this.
  25. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Mike is good stuff! Congratulations on the new addition!

Edit: what happened to the wagon?[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! We were are quite excited to get it! As far as the wagon goes, I think the current plan is that he will hang on to it for the winter to have that to send through the snow and junk, and then we will see in the spring... There is a part of me that would love to turn it in to a project, but we will see. I would like to keep focusing on the FJ Cruiser but may be able to work a little on both. The '02 does need some TLC for the typical rust and probably some new rear calipers (one is sticking shut currently) but it could be a fun little car to have around... more to come soon I hope!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  26. silver03

I took my LGT to JM for valve cover gaskets and turbo oil drain hose. New grimmspeed gaskets installed and a banjo bolt removed for good measure. A couple of thoughts:
    1. First time I have ever (bought car 4/07) taken her to a shop where not one, but two guys had their hands on her...at the same time!
    2. I think the car enjoyed being taken apart for only three hours instead of the twelve I would have required. I told her not to get used it.
    3. I have to admit it was kind of nice having all day Saturday to do other things.

ocie, housemusic1, MrBlue and 3 others like this.
  27. tangledupinblu

:bounce: Isn’t it great!!

28. subie-roo

1740FF18-3E89-451C-AAB5-2EDDE2698537.jpeg Santa’s newest reindeer

29. subie-roo

JM is great like that! They had both my wagons this week and did an excellent job as always!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  30. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

so I got photo bucket to work once. now it just won't. sorry for being ignorant of this tech stuff. I just wanted to show my car :facepalm:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  31. Takalak

32. Takalak

ok so here is what happened last time the tools were used...all my tools lol thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Mnelson, Cotts612, MN_XV_712 and 3 others like this.
  33. tangledupinblu

Aaaaaallll daaaaaayyyyy booooiiiii! Looking good mang! More pics of the completed front end? Side shot would be awesome!

Takalak likes this.
  34. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Mad Max comes to mind.... Looks good man!
    Giant beer can is a high points item:bounce:

Takalak likes this.
  35. tangledupinblu

Fosters? Australian fo beeyah!

MrBlue and Takalak like this.
  36. Takalak

[​IMG]
    Besides the bay work, the exterior got a retrofit face lift and the black bamboo treatment. I should be the only subie lookin like it does:uhhuh:

37. tangledupinblu

One of a kind, i like it!!

38. Takalak

Yeah that was because it was somewhat overlooked and didnt want to slow up the sew up. plus i had about 50 of them just laying around lol

MrBlue likes this.
  39. tangledupinblu

Practicality! Lol

40. Takalak

[​IMG]
    I made the bumper with mounting holes for all the fab'd panels including the grille. so this one will be used for winter and im hoping to be adding other seasonal grills to change it up ever so often throughout her daily drives. No more bustin plastic on the ice chunk littered roads!

41. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Did a bit of exploring in it today. [​IMG]

Takalak, JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  42. tangledupinblu

I like how you mounted the lip underneath. She’s lookin nasty! Needs plow attachment...?:)

43. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Working on it...

Takalak likes this.
  44. Takalak

This looks like a fun road

45. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Bought some x ice tires from my buddy with the spt for dirt cheap and tossed them on last night. So glad I did with the snow that fell overnight.

The wheels are 17x9 and just barely fit around the brakes. The wheel weights are about 15mm from the peak of the caliper.

The tires grip well but not the best. I would guess it's because they are used but I'm just glad I got to work this morning!

Enjoy this potato of the wheels and tires.

[​IMG]

Takalak, tangledupinblu and subie-roo like this.