What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

Finished my new condenser install and charged up my AC system; blowing ~43degF air out of the vents and no funny noises. Bonus, the new condenser is black and looks way better, so it was all worth it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_20180825_2119082.jpg

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

When I registered my 4Runner as a collector (~10 years ago), I had to sign a very vaguely worded (i.e. unenforceable) form that said it would only be driven for testing, or to/from automotive events/shows, etc. At the time, my neighbor drove on collector plates year round, his beater pickup in the winter, and Grand Torino in the summer, his wife's DD had regular plates, but was in his name. Never heard a word.

I registered my Celica for collector plates this April (still don't have the plates...), and I had to sign no such form. We had to look up the plate number for another car in my name, and that's it. I don't drive it when there's salt on the road, but in the 4 months when that's not a problem, I drive it like crazy, drove it to Ojibwe Forests Rally last weekend.

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Stock light configuration on my '04 Outback, has a dual-filament bulb on the bottom to function as running and turn lights, and top one just as turn. Whenever I see these cars, I'm not a fan that the headlight is the top light, and the running light is the bottom one, just looks a little weird.

[​IMG]
    20180828_193222
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Also, this spring I found myself in a campground wishing I had just enough light to navigate slowly without turning on the headlights and lighting up other peoples' tents. Bright switchback running lights seemed like the answer.

So, I stopped at UPull and got some extra dual-filament sockets/pigtails, only took a moment with the dremel to open up one notch in the housing to get the socket to fit. Then splice the 3 wires in, install switchback bulbs.

Now my running lights look like this:
    [​IMG]
    20180828_195314
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

And turns like this:
    [​IMG]
    20180828_195329
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

That looks great!

5. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Brakes, oil and air filter on the wife's 11 outback. And while I was at it she scrubbed and shined the wheels.

IMG_20180825_162513838.jpg IMG_20180825_163524761.jpg

jubella2 likes this.
  6. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

BC9B175E-3ADC-4635-B5D5-B3AD9785DFCA.jpeg This happened today :D

Mnelson, ryjacobs, pleiades and 7 others like this.
  7. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Got new KYB struts on all 4 corners and the steering rack replaced on my 06 2.5i. I guess it is 12 years old and just over 235k miles. But drives like new now! Look out highway 35w!

8. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

oh well, this will divulge non-flattering things about me...but i finally got around to
    replacing the fuel filter on my 99 OB after purchasing it (filter) at least two years ago:rolleyes:
    i quickly remembered why i didn't finish the job then--durn those old lines didn't want
    to come off! after struggling a good bit i looked online and discovered that pouring boiling
    hot water on them was recommended...worked like a charm:thumbup: now i just hope that helps
    my low idle issue...

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

We're out in Pennsylvania visiting my brother, his wife and their little 6mo old.
    He had some ISC coilovers sitting around waiting for a home so we gave them one. Now all he needs is to fix his rims, mount some tires and it'll be one good looking outback.
    Attach10495_20180902_222119-01.jpg IMG_20180902_221257782-01.jpg IMG_20180902_153146396.jpg

Attached Files:

jubella2 and pcwerk like this.
  10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I got this wrecked SVX this summer, primarily for the rear suspension. Pulled the engine and transmission a few weeks ago. Pulled the one good body panel (passenger door) and a couple other little things this weekend, and last night I hooked up a strap to my 4Runner and pulled the SVX up onto it's side to work on the underside.
    [​IMG]
    20181001_185102
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    20181002_180450
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    20181002_180831
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

When I went to unbolt the driveshaft, I figured out why the rear axles were cut/disconnected, the diff is seized solid. Couldn't get to the 4th bolt, dropped the diff with the shaft still attached. Got the exhaust, rear diff, and driveshaft off completely, and got a bunch of the subframe bolts to crack loose. Then applied copious amounts of BG penetrating oil.

jubella2, JaloP and Eazy_E_Rich like this.
  11. tangledupinblu

Took the wife up the north shore to a resort north of Two Harbors for our 5 year anniversary. Took this pic at Devil’s Kettle north of Grand Marais:)
    322087C0-335B-4E23-825A-086FFBE85029.jpeg
    00C719FC-B684-47CA-BF14-748B34D68C7D.jpeg

joebush44, Chux, jubella2 and 3 others like this.
  12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

13. tangledupinblu

Ridin dirty! The RSVX is an amazing car.

14. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Took off the "Brotiforms" and put the stock winter set back on the Legacy today. Had to do it a little earlier than planned because of this giant piece of shrapnel my wife picked up somewhere. Haven't pulled it out yet so I might be able to plug it but worst case I have until spring to replace it I guess... Screenshot_20181009-193710_Gallery.jpg

15. tangledupinblu

:eek:

16. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Ask @MrBlue about plugging tires. This should be no problem...

MrBlue likes this.
  17. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

HaHa, 2 stiches of bailing wire and 14 plugs.... still holding pressure like a new tire!!!

18. Krazylegz1485

Was planning to come on here tonight posting another "halp!" thread but instead get to share a success story instead. Yay!

Plan was to meet the wife's parents in Cambridge for dinner. Wife calls to say we're leaving the house, they're in Blaine yet and the car's running like crap I guess (somewhat recently inherited an 08 Legacy). CEL and cruise light both on. I turn around and get the scan tool, just in case.

Fast forward to after dinner. Go run the codes. Car running super rough at idle.
    -p0301
    -p0302
    -p0420
    -p0026
    -p0028

Damn... So not really sure where to go from there. For s's & g's I pop the hood while it's running, thinking I'd maybe look for some obvious signs of head gasket failure or something. Nothing. But hey, what's that clicking sound? Oh that? That's just the spark plug wires arcing back to the coil pack. Grabbed it back a ways and pulled it as far away as I could get it (to stop the arc), idle smoothed right out.

Long story long, get some new plug wires at O'Reilly's across town. Put them in in the parking lot and thing purrs like a kitty. Hooray for tool-less repairs!

JuStaWRX, MrBlue, Cotts612 and 2 others like this.
  19. Krazylegz1485

One more quick story.

I pick the kid (18 months now) up from daycare on Mondays. Daycare lady's house is a townhouse. Walk in to the entry way, you can see the living room straight ahead, and then kitchen is out of view around the corner.

Anywho, this week I walk in to get him. As soon as the door closes he yells "dada!". I can't see him, nor him me. She gets him out of his seat and he comes running around to the door. She follows a little behind, laughing. I ask "how did he know...?"

"It's the car. All the kids know."

This kid's got potential!

jubella2, pillboy, JuStaWRX and 4 others like this.
  20. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Ha! I picked up my son (2 years old) from daycare the other day and he told me "I Papa's car, down the street" Which translates to: "I heard Papa's car coming from down the street".

21. pho_real

pho_real Well-Known Member

I got a rental for the past couple days, first day i pick up my son in rental he says, "this car is so relaxing". I'm guessing he likes the quietness for once. lol :( Nearly broke my heart. I just have a simple stg 2 on an 04 wrx, 3" non catted to a perrin twin tip.

pillboy and Fienix like this.
  22. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

My cats know when I get home because of the rumbles. The girlfriend says they come running from wherever they are, right to the front door! That's another reason she calls my car "big kitty" lol

jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.
  23. Cotts612

I rolled 180k on the Subie this week! I have conflicting emotions about it. Super happy I'm at 180k without anything major breaking, but also bummed that it has 180k. :facepalm: Oh well.

20181011_173912.jpg

24. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Congratulations. My stepdaughter was over last night with our old 2002 Outback...she's now at 249,xxx miles.

Cotts612 likes this.
  25. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Five year anniversary and he takes a picture of his car...:facepalm:.

26. Krazylegz1485

Do we want to know what the other reason is?

jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.
  27. Cotts612

Lol she thinks it sounds like a cat purring when idling. Sorry, nothing dirty there :(

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  28. tangledupinblu

It’s all about perspective. Sounds dirty to me!

MidnightImpreza, pillboy and Cotts612 like this.
  29. 007

007 Active Member

EFD767F1-E9E7-47E5-966E-1B7702E86ADA.jpeg 08BD04AD-6DBA-47AE-B6E5-98E74FBC99D8.jpeg Installed the Seibon Carbon wing on the WRX. It is a copy of the OEM 2015+ WRX standard low trunk wing....but ever so slightly larger.
    It is too expensive in my opinion (around $375 shipped) but I have to say it is a flawless piece and looks great on the car. Very nice carbon weave and thick clear coat.
    Entire install takes maybe 20 minutes.
    Better pictures on the way. Bottom one got rotated and I have no idea how.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  30. 007

007 Active Member

3AD11124-252F-4D34-A0DD-A33AFC21ACE6.jpeg Had an opportunity to take a nice picture when I got out of the grocery store this morning........then snow happened. Wing is white with snow. Sheesh. Still on summer tires. Switching at the end of October.

Attached Files:

JuStaWRX likes this.
  31. tangledupinblu

My winters went on today! I’m not doing any curb checking because i waited too long again this year!

Spoiler looks sweet btw!!

32. 007

007 Active Member

Thanks Blu! Sooooo. Exactly how bad are the summer tires? I was going to wait but now I may do it today. Not bad in rain so far but I think the cold is here to stay.

33. Krazylegz1485

Supposed to be sunny and warm ish for the next several days. You'll be fine. Plus you have awd, where the Blu man is running rear only these days.

007 likes this.
  34. tangledupinblu

With a 1/4 or 1/2” of snow(on pavement), not great! The cold is definitely here to stay. I usually put them on when the high’s are near 60 degrees during the day. Summer rubbers are usually pretty hard and lack grip when the weather is below 50 or 60 degrees.
    097953D1-4E3D-4283-BF27-88DB5D3ACC94.jpeg
    This is true! But when i crashed the back end into the curb, i had AWD sucka!!:frantic: WUT!?

35. Krazylegz1485

You were either driving too fast or too furious... Maybe both?!

pleiades likes this.
  36. tangledupinblu

Probably both. But nope, my summers were like slicks in the snow. All seasons, not a big deal. Summers....CRASH BANG BOOM!:eek:

37. Krazylegz1485

Got my brand new R2's mounted up this weekend. Also picked up some 15" steelies a while back so I finally got around to mounting these Pirelli rally tires that I was gifted by one rad sir @Navar Hren some time ago.

[​IMG]

My goal was to put the rally tires on the WRX for when I get to the Cedar Lake spectator drags again, but ain't nobody got time (aka money) to get some Method race wheels that clear the brakes, so I settled on some $20 steelies and they're now busting trails out in the back woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. Krazylegz1485

I have a feeling I'd be in the same boat if it snowed randomly right now. Pretty sure I'm down to the wear bars...

39. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Oh f*** yeah! Glad to see those finally mounted up and getting used. Kick the crap out of them, but expect very few miles if you track any pavement.

40. Krazylegz1485

I drove them on the road in front of our place and damn do they howl. Only got into 3rd briefly so maybe 40 mph. Just laughing the whole time. Needless to say they'll probably never leave the yard.

Navar Hren likes this.
  41. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Couldn't take the dash rattle anymore. It was driving me insane and was worst at cruising RPMs. So ripped apart the dash to try to find the source.

IMG_20181016_181145.jpg

After 40 minutes of trying to locate this stupid f*cking rattle I decided to expand my search to the A-pillars. Nothing. Defrost vent trim. Nothing. Took the wipers off, no dice. Started taking the shroud off between windshield and hood, no change.

Decided to take my search to the engine bay and lo and behold, the source of my madness was these two lines above the intercooler. I zipped tied them together and zip tied some gasket material where it was rubbing and my sanity has returned.

IMG_20181016_181801.jpg

42. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

I also only had 1 screw leftover when putting the dash back together, which I believe is a personal best.

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  43. tangledupinblu

You may have also avoided future headaches as well. Mine rubbed in a similar fashion and it actually wore clean through the aluminum hard pipe. Leaving a dime sized hole in it. Make sure whatever you stuff between there is padded. I used black foam after replacing the pipe, which i zip tied on.

Now have a cold beer and relax. I’m glad that we didn’t have to place a reservation for the padded room for you. ;)

44. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Wow, I would have never guessed it could wear through. That would be miserable. I may get some foam in there also, but for now the gasket is doing its job. I'll just have to keep an eye on it so that doesn't wear through as well.

Next up is the rear spoiler rattle/squeak.

Mmmmm... beer.

45. tangledupinblu

I know right!?