What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Drove the Foz home on Tuesday after finally figuring out the misfire issue. Turns out the passenger intake AVCS solenoid was stuck :facepalm:. She's running amazing otherwise. It still has the previous tune on it with 99% of the mods still here. the only changes now are a 2.0, EWG, and a bigger + hardwired FP. Need to figure out a place to get it tuned as soon as I can. RS might be my choice since they're closer out, appointment wise, than JM.

On another note, the car has finally been washed after almost 2 years. JBP looks as gorgeous as always in the Sun.
    IMG_20210406_193347.jpg
    received_1240886729664012.jpg

2. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

What intercooler is that?

3. MinnesotaFTW

I don't remember the brand, but it's an eBay STI intercooler. I snagged an AWIC set to replace it though.

4. Butthau5

Does the ebay one weigh like 400 pounds? If yes p sure the bugeye I got came with the same one lol

5. MinnesotaFTW

It's not too particularly heavy, but it is a bit thicker than OEM.

6. Butthau5

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I knew you that could do it! Lol. Looking good

8. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Butthau5 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  9. MinnesotaFTW

Bet you like seeing at night now lol!

10. Butthau5

It really hides the gaping hole in the bumper cover.

11. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

6362237B-C82A-4DC2-A9CE-2AB5A6625C06.jpeg
    Summer wheels are on, almost ready to fire it up for the season. Still need to install a new GS TMIC. Tune attempt #2 scheduled for mid-May!

12. Butthau5

Is that a cherry blossom jdm impreza badge? Jealous

13. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

It’s the pink Pleiades badge. I assume an OEM part from a decade+ ago. Didn’t realize until now they’re not as available as the “i” badge!

Butthau5 and tangledupinblu like this.
  14. MinnesotaFTW

Ran another 8qt of OEM ATF through my trans today for a total of 16qt this past week. Also figured out the minor coolant leak wasn't actually a leak, and just dripping excess fluid cause I can't fill the system correctly apparently. All fixed now!

It's all ready for the legendary Nuke tune on wed :)

Butthau5 and euro like this.
  15. MinnesotaFTW

Bit of a double post... but did a quick little upgrade tonight. Wahlbro 255 -> AEM 340.

Just need to hardwire it and install FuelPro and I'll be ready for an E85 (eventually).

[​IMG]

Butthau5 likes this.
  16. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Just got the WRX back from JM last week! She's got a clean bill of health after a new timing belt and the usual front end goodies. Turned out my valve cover gaskets had a small leak that's all fixed too, now I'm going to have to get used the the car not smelling like burnt oil when I pull in the garage!

They also installed the Black w/Blue Text Rally Armour mud flaps I've had sitting around my garage for like 3 years woot... Turns out kids are great but horrible for wrenching time.

Put new spark plugs in at the same time, should be all set for another 30,000 miles!

17. Butthau5

I'm also doing valve cover gaskets. Fun times. Snapchat-1210593765.jpg

Attached Files:

18. tangledupinblu

Salvaged the front lip after it got ripped off in our first snowfall last year. And put on the summers. At this point, it still feels a little too soon for the summers, but the car only comes out on weekends as I’ve acquired a work van that I bring home every night.:thumbup:
    75FA28DA-4AF6-4FBD-B9CC-81ADC0E92E0A.jpeg
    Now she just needs a bath.

19. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Plated it today!
    20210512_105225_HDR~2.jpg

20. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Ha excellent. How long did it take to get the custom plates?

21. Butthau5

22. euro

euro Well-Known Member

2.5 months, my temp tags were expired and they were going to charge me an additional "filing fee" which i might have forgone

My screenname pretty much everywhere except here is Absoluteyeti or absyeti. My buddy called me an absolute yeti because i was sweating in our office kept at 55 degrees. The name stuck.

Euro was from when i first signed up at eurowerks in 2011. I didn't know what to pick so I hail mary'd "euro" figuring it would be taken, unfortunately it wasn't and i was stuck with it till the end of eurowerks

23. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

New wheels + tires on the FXT today. First time having "nice" wheels. IMG_20210527_170835.jpg

24. tangledupinblu

They look great!:thumbup:

pinjasaur likes this.
  25. Butthau5

Now put it on wrx suspension. That's what I always wanted a forester for lol. I just think they look so cool that way.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  26. MinnesotaFTW

Another new FXT tires post. Winter tires do not fair well in 90 degree weather LOL. IMG_20210518_131126.jpg

27. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

My mom's 2012 Impreza tripped a P2764 about a week ago. Sure enough, torque converter solenoid tested at about 3 ohms, not 13. Subaru doesn't sell the solenoids, they want you to spend $800 on a valve body (Miller Hill stocks it, as so many are being done under warranty).

Punch the valve body part number into Amazon, and about 20 listings for converter solenoids pop up. I spent $100 on one, then bought the cover gasket and orings from Subaru.

These are on top of the engine. Remove the pitch stopper and bracket, and throttle body, and there it is. The cover has 2 steel dowel pins in the aluminum housing, so that took a couple hours of screwing around to get that to wiggle loose, but everything else went well.

Once the body is out, here's the gaping hole in the top of the trans:
    [​IMG]
    20210616_212603
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

And, the culprit:
    [​IMG]
    20210616_210238
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

The Android app "ActiveOBD", couple with my Carista ELM OBD Bluetooth dongle let me read the lockup data from the ECU. I've driven it several times and all seems well. I haven't driven it enough to clear the Permanent code, but the Pending and Confirmed codes have not come back.

At the end of the day, probably took me 5 or 6 hours (2 of which just fighting with that cover). Only lost a few ounces of fluid (although it's kinda dark, probably got hot on the freeway with the converter unlocked, luckily my mom pulled over when the AT temp light came on solid as to not cause serious damage). About $150 repair.

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  28. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

An eventful weekend for my Subarus...

Driver's window motor in my '00 daily quit on Friday, with the window open. So I scrambled to weld up the exhaust and reassemble the LF brake caliper (I had it apart as one of the pistons was seized) on the '01 Forester so I could move it outside and put the Outback in.

Sunday we drove my wife's '04 Outback VDC up to 2 harbors, picked up my car trailer and a big pile of Toyota parts (I asked for the control arms, the guy torched the frame off and gave me the whole front end...).

I discovered that the window motors are side specific, but the same for many models. So instead of pulling one from a complete parts car (and sacrificing my watertight storage), I disassembled the my spare Forester door to remove the motor. I started disassembling the door in the '00, but waved the white flag at about 11:30 last night. So I moved the car seats to my '04 35th, it has it's issues, but should be able to get me to work.

This morning, when I came to the first intersection on my drive, I hit the turn signals and the gauge cluster shut off. I didn't think much of it, car still ran great. But by about halfway down the road, I realized that the alternator must not have been charging, as lights were getting dim. I made it into work with several misfires towards the end. I found a blown fuse, and I guess I'm driving home without using any turn signals....

29. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

You should buy a bicycle.

That post made me tired and all I had to do was read it.

30. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Sacrificed a couple more fuses (couldn't find anyone with an ATM breaker in town), and figured out it was just the LH turn signal that blows the fuse.

So I removed the access in the rear cargo area to the LH turn signal, and there's a F(*@#$%ing next in there, and the wire is chewed off. My in-laws (drove their RV up from South Carolina and are parked in our driveway) drove this car yesterday....so either my father-in-law doesn't use his turn signals, or this critter chewed the wire last night. Either one is plausible.

31. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

It's like a Subaru sitcom! Damn the luck. Hope things turn around for you.

Krazylegz1485 and pillboy like this.
  32. pillboy

I know where my money is.

33. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Drove it to Minnesota. I’m here all week if anyone wants to do Subaru things (or non Subaru things) :)

upload_2021-6-29_13-42-57.jpeg

34. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Fixed the window lift motor on the '00, and repaired the shorted/cut taillight, turn signal and radio wiring on the '04.

Did battle with the '01 Forester last night. Got the one front caliper piston un-stuck. Had to order a caliper kit, but I put it together with the old seals and no dust boots for a short test drive to the neighbor lady's house to feed her cats (not even remotely joking. She's very nice, but the smell you are imagining is correct).

Then I started tearing the front suspension apart. New struts should be here today or tomorrow, and I already have new inner axle boots. With copious use of the air hammer, I was able to get one axle out of the hub. But not the other one. Haven't decided if I want to pull the whole assembly and try to rig it up in the press. Or maybe put it back together and drive it some without the axle nut. I have a spare axle that came with the other Forester, so I could steal a knuckle off something and replace the whole thing.

35. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Technically not a subaru but i committed to cutting patch panels from the 71 fastback today to fix the 70 fastback. I don't forsee the car surviving outside until i have the time and money to properly address the chassis issues. It will live on attached to the 70 fastback which will eventually get a complete respray.

20210629_122426_HDR~2.jpg

36. pillboy

You're a good neighbor. If you don't have pets you have no idea how much that means to her to be able to trust you to do that.

MidnightImpreza likes this.
  37. tangledupinblu

Sounds like a bit of a “rabbit hole” Matt:D

Chux likes this.
  38. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, we've always had cats, although mine don't get canned food every day. But I get it. She's a very nice person, and I'm happy to help, but I was chuckling to myself as I typed that as it sounds like a sitcom bit.

39. pillboy

A show about nothing.

MidnightImpreza likes this.
  40. MinnesotaFTW

IMG_20210701_192936.jpg IMG_20210701_192930.jpg

Front driver axle replacement today. Didn't realize I had a torn boot till axle grease was everywhere. Decided to just replace the axle because I have no idea how long I've been driving around with a torn boot. Took a LOT quicker than I expected, for my first axle job. Wanted to install my H&R Triple Cs but I doubt I'll have enough time to get an alignment before I head down to Texas for work :(

silver03, Krazylegz1485 and pinjasaur like this.
  41. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Do you have the jack stands on the pinch weld? Man I'd be afraid to do that on my car... Haha.

42. tangledupinblu

It would probably go right through the floor.

43. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Yep, same here! I never use the pinch weld to jack my car up.

44. MinnesotaFTW

Stands on the pinch welds are fine, they have reinforced sections just for them. I add a microfiber towel folded up so it doesn't put every inch of pressure on the metal jack. Just don't go jacking up your car from the pinch welds, then you're asking to go through the door haha.

45. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I know they're somewhat intended for that, I'm just not gonna try it on my old thang. Haha. I'll stick with the subframe until I have something a little newer/cleaner.

We used rags on top of stands like that on the nice cars when I worked in the body/restoration shop (to protect the paint). Another one of those things I'll maybe do down the road. That whole newer/cleaner/nicer thing... Haha.

Butthau5 and MinnesotaFTW like this.