What did you do to your subaru today?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by PRA4SNO, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Did you buy the precut fog covers? Or a sheet?

2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I bought them precut from Lamin-x. I did end up shaving off a little bit from both lights with a razor blade.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

That's how it looked when I used it. I was also very wtf about it.

euro likes this.
  4. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Got one winter tire and the u brace back on the car before my 7 year old harbor freight impact finally exploded. Little by little, i think I'll finally buy a lift next year

Remaining tasks
    - 3 winter wheels
    - u brace final bolt
    - shifter bushings

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

If you're in the market for a decently affordable, kick a$s new impact:

https://www.amazon.com/AIRCAT-1150-...mpact&qid=1637108842&qsid=134-9000473-2899401

According to Amazon I bought mine in October of 2013. Spent multiple years in a semi truck shop with me and it's still going strong.

pinjasaur and euro like this.
  6. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I would but my compressor wouldn't keep up with an air impact. Going to try a cordless electric until i get my new out garage built with a big boy compressor.

pinjasaur likes this.
  7. Krazylegz1485

Cotts612 and euro like this.
  8. tangledupinblu

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  9. Krazylegz1485

It's nuts. I had to replace the rear axle on our (c)rusty 92 GMC truck a few years ago. My u bolts were so bad there was absolutely no hope of saving them. Cut em off with a cut off wheel and went to U-pull to source some "new", just barely less rusty ones. If I didn't have the impact at that point I don't think I would've been able to go home with any... Haha.

10. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my other driving factor for chosing cordless was saving time at upull. It's nice to be able to zip them off or snap them off in seconds.

Speaking of which, i need to make another run to see if the ls3 is still there.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Put them mudflaps on, looks good!
    20211123_163059.jpg

12. Krazylegz1485

Brought home my newest ****wagon last week. Shell has 199k on it and was significantly worse in person than I was hoping for based on the description and pics. Motor is freshly gone through and the tranny is new to the car. Said it needed a radiator and a turbo back to be "finished". Got all that and more sitting around at home so Plan A was to slap it together and go.

Car hasn't been driven in 2+ years so everything is crusty. Interior was half gutted and it's just a mess in general. So onto Plan B, which is putting the motor into the silver one to hopefully resurrect that pile to winter warrior status.

Silver one hasn't been driven in about 2 months due to what I'm assuming is burnt valve(s) round 2. Idles like crap and the cylinder 3 misfire and flashing cel is a daily occurrence. I've been searching for a suitable replacement for a while now with not much luck. The market is still ridiculous and I kinda gave up hope for the time being.

That said, $1600 for a (hopefully) healthy motor and another shell to sell parts from (and turn into yard art) sounds like a good bandaid for now.

Also hoping to put Forester XT struts on the silver one, so if anybody has some tips/secrets on that they wanna share, feel free!

Screenshot_20211201-131712.png

Attached Files:

13. tangledupinblu

WAGOOOOONS!!!

Cotts612, MrBlue and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  14. Butthau5

How are them rear strut towers looking lol?

15. Krazylegz1485

I noticed he never answered you. Haha. They're about what you can expect from what I could see. Thing's on lowering springs of some sort so you can hardly see into the wheel wells.

Butthau5 likes this.
  16. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Been chipping away at my Saabaru todo-baru™ list for the past couple weeks and finally got it wrapped up just in time to miss my goal of beating the snow.

Highlights include a non-dented RR door, shifter goodies incl. red bushings for 乇乂T尺卂 hrsprs, fresh OEM coolant to replace the nastiness, and a new battery to replace the one from 2014.

Attached Files:

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. Butthau5

Well the driver side looks nice :cool:

pinjasaur likes this.
  18. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Worked on my winter car this weekend (just in time, right?).

My 2000, 350+k mile Outback. It was parked this summer due to a blown strut mount. When the Forester was done, I went to pull the Outback in the garage, and a brake line blew. So, 2 new sections of NiCopp brake line (yes, I keep this stuff on the shelf in my garage. I need to start stocking the stainless flare nuts, too). Cut, flared the stock lines back under the back seat, and used unions from there back to the first section of rubber line along the frame rail. The BE/BH fuel tank (and likely all newer cars) is further forward than the older cars that I'm used to, so I had to rethink my routing. I ended up fishing it across over the crossmember behind the fuel tank. Was annoying to do, but the end result is better, I think.

Then I removed the front strut to replace the mount (in a reminder to do these in pairs, I had already done the other one about a year earlier....). It literally fell apart. Assembled strut/spring/upper perch fell out, with the rubber mount still bolted to the body. All the balls were gone from the bearing. Yikes. I bought this spring compressor when I was doing the Forester suspension, and it is so slick. Clamp one end in the bench vice, lay the strut on it, and I can take much of the tension off just by spinning the nut by hand.

AND, found and began coordinating another project (THAT'S what I need.....but this one is for my wife). Hopefully I'll have news on that over the weekend.

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  19. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

Started on my widebody project for the GC last night. Definitely going to have my hands full over the winter... and spring... maybe summer. Taking my time on this intentionally (to get it perfect) and unintentionally (work, wife, kids).

Projects details-
    2000 2.5rs sedan
    ABW 22b 60mm widebody kit

20. tangledupinblu

Can’t wait for pics in the winter...spring...summer...or fall. Whenever they happen!

21. Krazylegz1485

All you have to do is call!

22. tangledupinblu

I was wondering if anyone would post that! Now I know, I’ve got a friend!

23. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Tailgaters, right?
    51743235432_9dbe9dbba4_c.jpg

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.
  24. Krazylegz1485

I've gotten myself with that a couple times.

tangledupinblu and pinjasaur like this.
  25. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Well, it was a few days ago, but I don't get online much.

Drove down for Christmas. 1/2 mile from my Uncle's house in Farmington, and the exhaust in my wife's '04 Outback VDC gets considerably louder, followed by the unmistakable "ting ting" of the exhaust dragging on the ground. I said F it, and finished the drive. And then spent about 10 minutes of Christmas day with my car parked crooked on the curb of a very nice neighborhood, laying underneath my car using a coat hanger to keep the midpipe (of which the rear flange had broken off) off the ground.

Oh well, annoying, but in the grand scheme of things, pretty minor. I'll weld it back up in the next few days.

tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  26. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Could 100% be worse. on my VDC the exhaust did the same thing so my dad volunteered to weld it up after I did lunch with him since we were only a couple miles from their house. I grabbed his car, went back to work, he took the wagon to weld the exhaust on the lift.

Driving it onto the lift the exhaust caught, shifted the car over, slipped off the lift and sheered the hydraulic line to the lift, that sprayed fluid everywhere (car, garage, etc...), car slammed into the post and dented its fender.

Approximately 4 hours and $250 later, the lift was fixed and the exhaust was welded. Lol

27. tangledupinblu

Hahaha, that sucks!

28. curly2k3

I was at work during it all, not sure who had a worse day still.

29. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

DOH!!

Well...I haven't fixed mine yet, so it could still all go wrong.

30. curly2k3

It was a pretty fun wagon, I'd entertain the idea of another at some point.

No idea what's up with my OBS tho, battery said LOL-F-U yesterday, today just crank, no start. Smelled like it was getting fuel, had spark, no notta. Fairly glad I kept the TL at this point too. lol

31. tangledupinblu

How many cars do you have in the stable right now? And how many engines are in the back of them?

32. curly2k3

GTI which doesn't move in the winter, it hibernates... GC8 which hasn't moved under its own power in a decade, OBS which is apparently dead at the moment, TL which loves to drain the battery if it isn't driven at least every week or two, then the wife's Jetta.

33. tangledupinblu

Well that answered the least important question.

34. curly2k3

No MR/RR cars. ;)

35. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

We drove our '04 VDC yesterday morning, and I went back out to move it last night at about 8pm, and it wouldn't start. Very strong crank, no fire. It would pop over on starting fluid. After a brief panic about trying to diagnose fuel pressure issues (I do not have a pressure gauge), I decided to check codes. P0118 would not clear, and the coolant temp read -40. Check in the FSM, and the fail-safe is to default to 70C/158F. I went back out to check the sensor, and found this:
    [​IMG]
    2022-01-22_08-55-29
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

Wires are completely chewed-through. Luckily, I'm a hoarder, and with a few minutes of shoveling I was able to get to my parts engine and cut the pigtail off it, but I think in order to make the repair, I'm going to have to remove (or at least lift) the fuel rail on that side. So that's my project for tonight....

Krazylegz1485 and silver03 like this.
  36. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

@Chux You really do have all the fun

37. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Was able to get the hatch struts replaced today. Easy enough, just required a 2nd set of hands to do reasonably safely.

Attached Files:

38. euro

euro Well-Known Member

What other people don't balance the hatch on their heads?

39. Krazylegz1485

Right? Or make like hacksaw Jim Duggan and use a 2x4.

40. tangledupinblu

At least with the pigtail you could make it a bit I get? It looks like a pretty short connection

Also, a 2x4 makes perfect sense to prop the hatch:D

41. tangledupinblu

Man, it’s been a LONG time since anyone said that they were out hooning the Subie in the snow on this thread. Because old

42. Krazylegz1485

Because broke down... Haha.

I got the motor pulled out of the white car before Christmas in preparation to then pull the motor out of the silver car and do the swaparu. However, my shop quickly got filled up by crap from the wife's flower shop and also a huge ass project (building a walk in cooler from scratch...) that has not only taken up my shop space but also damn near all of my free time. Good times.

Finishing up the last of the ceiling and wall panels today hopefully and will start assembling them as soon as we can get the rest transported to the flower shop.

The whole issue here is that she had to move the shop with a minimal timeframe (building owner raised her rent an absurd amount with basically no notice). The cooler at the old place was also old and instead of attempting to move the entire thing we're building our own. Only downside is it's basically going to be a freestanding structure and there's not enough room to build it on site. Plus it's expensive to build even doing all of the work myself, so the goal was to basically design it so it could be assembled on site (and subsequently disassembled almost as easily for when the time comes to move again).

Long story short, she's up and running the new shop (Toni's Flowers) on the west side of Anoka (in the old DMV location) and will soon be taking orders for Valentine's day if anybody is in need. I mentioned making a 10% off code for Subaru peeps that could be put in when ordering online, so I think she might make that happen as well.

Anywho, the majority of my hooning so far this winter has been done in our truck (00 K3500 crew cab long box w/ a 454) or her shop van (03 E250 w/ a 4.6). Either one has actually been pretty fun. The truck is so long it's actually really easy to keep control when sideways.

Cotts612 and pinjasaur like this.
  43. tangledupinblu

Hahaha, my main hooning has been in the 2500 Chevy Express.

44. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

FUN!!

twitch, twitch

Both of the PCV hoses going to the LH valve cover, which had to be removed to get the fuel rail cover off, crumbled in my hands. That sucked. But, with some extra length in the pigtail, I was able to repair it and reroute it around the injectors, so I didn't have to remove the rail.

45. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Mocked up wheels on my latest flat engined project.
    20220122_160735.jpg 20220123_090317.jpg 20220123_090231.jpg