What Do U Hate About U Subaru?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by TheWRX, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Worst part of my subaru...Glove rattles, wait, ripped that out. Cupholders suck, wait don't have those anymore. Glass tranny, s'ok, stock one makes a nice piece in the storage garage. ****ty stereo, gone. Seat belts that are easy to complain about, gone

Best part of owning a subaru: Ripping everything out that i dont like and not caring 'cause it started life already ugly and it's "fast". Hopefully figure out my engine swap this winter and make it really Fast.

3. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

piston slap...

4. w_o_t_boy

w_o_t_boy Well-Known Member

It sucks money out of my wallet because its never fast enough.

5. 1fastwagon

1fastwagon New Member

there's not a lot really:
    -the STi wing...it's more of a love hate relationship.
    -no folding rear seats
    -roll-ons with a buddy's volvo s60r proved that I need to add a little power (safe roll-ons mind you)
    -could have done without the 20% tint, but I didn't choose to do that and it's not subaru's fault.

I've been through 4 cars in the past 4 years and this by far is the most fun, and the one that I look forward to driving each day.

6. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I don't think I hate anything yet. But I think I would have liked a sunroof and a folding rear seat would be handy and yeah the stereo sucks but I don't use it much anyway.

7. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

No FOLD-DOWN REAR SEAT!!!!!
    No tUrb0zZz, Weak transmission, tiny brakes, crappy factory tires and battery, and it hasn't lived up to the "subie gets you laid" phrase yet.

8. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Insurance! $190/mo with a clean record! Damn you fools that crash cars.... :rant:

9. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Get a wagon. I'm only paying like $575 for 6 mo.

25 and kinda sorta clean record. Geico says it's clean, but when I try to get quotes from others it shows the ticket I got from when I went into the ditch in WA in 2003.

It was only like $650 last month (when I was 24).

10. drewsinavich

drewsinavich New Member

-My list- (in order)
    the car payment
    speakers are weak-recently corrected that problem
    dash or glove box squeeking-seems common
    boost gauge in the way of outside temp display
    no push button trunk unlock on remote

11. kimmigt

kimmigt Subie Godess

^+1234567 There is nothing I hate about my LGT! :biggrin:

I do wish I had more money to spend on it, but it's not my Subie's fault I'm poor. :emo:

12. STi hog

STi hog Well-Known Member

the thing i hate about my subaru is the MPG eating my wallet out clean...yet again it is a STI but i do hate the cup holders

13. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Who needs cupholders? wear a beer hat.

14. carl

carl Well-Known Member

camelbak ;)

15. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

I really cant find much to hate on my 06 besides the front end, which eventually grew on me.

The cupholders are better, they eliminated that one that spills crap on your stereo and added another one down by the shifter, but they're further back. The annoying center console is now further back too so its not in my way like it was on my 02

I would change:

-stock shifter bushings on my OEM short shifter. rubbery and clunky in 1-2 shifts

-tires suck balls

-comes with inadequate front and rear swaybars

-springs that come from granpaland

-run a bit more than 11.5psi stock

16. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

Love My Car!!!

This was the first Subi I have owned and I have been loving it! I had test driven the 02's when they first came out and loved them back then, but couldn't afford it... :eek: But now I can and now I am!

There are very few things I could take away or add but a few of them include:

-I miss my sun roof I had in previous cars!
    -cup holders (but I've gotten around this)
    -+1 more on the lack of an trunk release on auto key fob
    -+1 more on auto up/down on all windows (i've never had this feature though)
    -always wanting to spend and do more with it!!! ;)

These are all little things that don't really bother me and I expected these deficiancies the moment I was looking at them, but I always look forward to my next drive in my car! Never gets old to me!

17. tofuboy

tofuboy Active Member

It's not an 22B.:biggrin:

18. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Damn the laggin ECU or was it the overtightend knock sensor? DAMN The knock sensor!

19. sidebrake

sidebrake New Member

+1 haha!

I would say poor gas mileage and excessive body roll. (I came off a car w/ coilovers, so I guess I have high expectations. :ugh: )

20. ImportImage

ImportImage Vendor

and i thought someone would say "sti came with 7 less hp than we thought it would" lol

21. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

^^^ its in the way subaru rates is HP, not that it actually lost hp

22. ImportImage

ImportImage Vendor

i know....it was a joke :)

23. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I think he was joking you ignignort :biggrin:

24. ImportImage

ImportImage Vendor

what i hated about my 03 was the stupid antenna....aside from that i loved it!

25. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

come to your party and then talk smack

26. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Transmission (5MT) sucks in many respects
    Lighting (like the bugeye style, hate the light pattern)
    The way snow builds up in the wheel wells so fast
    Paying for premuim gas
    Weight (my wife's Altima with the 3.5L and tons more space
    weighs only 100lbs more... And it has 250hp and serious low-end torque, if it could grip frum dig it'd smoke my WRX, replacing the stock tires might be enough to do it)

27. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

...The wife could only think of this.

28. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Oh one more thing... the damn clutch shudder in the cold from the factory throw-out bearing problem.

29. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

man you people harbor alot of hate over some pretty small things. frankly there is nothing about my car that i cannot stand. sure somethings are kind of a nussance. like how my dash sounds likes its gonna explode in the cold, but this is partly my doing. running on 9k/8k springs will loosen things up a bit, plus having a tool chest in the glove box doesnt help. the only thing that kinda gets me worked up are the little seat belt holders on the coupes. i have broken both of mine, and found out that they are made by nissan (not really subarus problem) but you cant remove these orelse the seat belt doesnt sit right.

for those ofyou complaining about lag, you should get smaller turbos and give your old ones to me. cause you dont know lag till you run a NA 2.2l through a 4eat. and those of you BMing over folding seats, all i can say is HA! lol. seriously though i <3 my car. it does everything i want it to and more, and it has ALWAYS started/worked for me.

30. bovaddict

bovaddict Well-Known Member

how expensive they are when you want them and how cheap they are once you buy something else..

how EVERY used one ive driven i dont think hasnt seen a 6k launch at every stop light assuming the owner could stop from driving 120+ everywhere he was going

31. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

The trunk sucks! It looks big but man try putting in a stroller in the that thing or a cooler. Its deep but the space opening sucks!!

32. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The shredded ds rear tire. Changed it in the loading dock at the H.C. Government Center at 1:30 this morning! 3-17's and one doughnut...got milk? Never thought I would drive 50mph on 94 west.:( Lucky,no damage to rim,something to be thankful for!?

33. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Let me know when they make a STi Wagon..... No desire to step down from the STi.

;)

34. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

that it rattles like crazy with a modest ammount of bass(1 10" JL), that and the fact that I'm still all stock...

35. hofit

hofit Well-Known Member

'04 STi so...
    No heated seats
    No sunroof

Other than that, I love it!

36. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Heated seats are easy and pretty cheap to do.

The sunroof you'll have to live without, though.

37. AWD_PWNZ

AWD_PWNZ New Member

No HID
    Crap cup holders that spill everything
    Damn heated seats keeping my ass all warm lol (JK I love this)

Other then that I am really nothing but happy with my suby. I have only owned if for a few months but I seriously love her. I sort of wish I would have got a sti but I am still happy with my REX.

38. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

same here too haha
    try a forester or a wagon (damnit, should've waited for new forester)

39. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

'02 Forester, owned 2 Forester(an L for 1 year, S for 2 years now)-

Main gripes with the vehicle:

-uber mushy bushings everywhere(zero feel/crispness)

I'm used to old, worn out cars, but this is rediculous. Luckily I'm working on the remedy soon enough with the help of Kartboy, Whiteline and whoever else I can find.

-fuel door doesn't stay closed...ever, apparently a common problem(both of my Foresters and have seen others)

Fix? Beats me. You can bend the metal latch thingy a little, but it just makes the door harder to close.

-stock ECU tune makes for goofy engine behavior

This bugged me from very early on. The car always felt like it was missing power that it should have had, and power delivery was goofy through the power band. An I-Speed reflash smoothing things out and unlocked that power and just made everything more refined.

-ABS

I was raised 10 years without it on every surface from asphalt to ice. I "drove" into a ditch at about 20mph the second day I owned the car braking into a corner during some safe spirited driving. The lock happy rear drum brakes of my old L + loose gravel = zero brake power(death trap, F/R bias was horrible). Dealt with it for a year, very bad. Without ABS, it was pretty fun on gravel, easy to rotate. I was raised on the disk/drum configuration. It works well enough on its own, but when paired to ABS, it's bad, really really bad. Luckily my current S model with full disk brakes fairs a whole lot better, lightyears better, but even after 3 years, I still hate ABS. Fix? At some point I'll wire an on/off switch into the system. Can't just pull a fuse like some of you guys. 5sp + cruise = 2 fuses(one for front ABS, one for rear ABS, you read that correctly). One is tied to the solinoid which oddly only affects the front ABS and the other is tied into cruise and high/low beam headlights/fog lights and rear ABS, all gone if you pull the fuse... I just need to find a wiring diagram which I have yet to come across.

-Limited rear visability

Just a minor complaint, lots of head rests and chassis pillars tend to limit ease of backing up. Although it's not all that bad overall, it's a noticable annoyance every time I back up.

-5sp manual transmission

One of the harder trannies to shift smoothly and consistantly. The only other brand that comes to mind is VW, test drove a Jetta and was similarly hard to sync and drive smooth. Owned/driven/test driven over a dozen manual transmissions, most can be driven smoothout without thought. Not a Subaru. I wouldn't call it bad, but I will call it unnatural. I could also gripe about the notchiness and the very poor winter usability till the fluid warms up. When cold enough, you can not shift gears without double clutching, and for some reason 2nd gear becomes unusable unless stopped for the first few minutes(read will not go in), only 2nd though, all others fine, same with both Foresters. Synthetic oil helps a LOT, allows a good 30 degree colder use without much trouble.

-cold weather tick

An annoyance really. It's normal for our cars, but it really shouldn't be.

That seems like a lot of things to gripe about the car, but in the overall spectrum of what could be bad with a car, it's pretty minor stuff. It's not cheap junk. There's no intervals of regular catastrophic failure of some critical part evey 50,000 miles. The car is solidly built and has great reliability. It's utilitarian; it's functional. It has a superb awd system that I have yet to be able to get stuck. The 2.5L is one of the torqiest 4 bangers I've driven. Just little things could make it a bit better.

40. RobertCarvell

RobertCarvell Active Member

gripes

gas milege

rear seats do not fold

flooded on starting after short drives

that it is wrecked....

41. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe is the slow-ratio steering rack (MY00 RS2.5). It makes it feel like you're steering a cruise ship or something. By comparison, my big honkin' full-size Chevy feels nimbler, in spite of being much longer and an order of magnitude heavier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.