What does this look like?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by FuJi K, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Looks like oil! :D

Maybe its your valve cover gasket.

3. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Looks bad. :eek:

4. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ya, that looks like oil coming out of your spark plug hole. Pull the plug and check it out. It could be as simple as the plug is loose to stuff I don't want to post.

Russ

5. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Remeber the post where I said it was mis-firing.... that was in cylinder #2..... now it was misfiring just for this happened. Then the engine died on me, and we found oil coming out of the spark plugs.

Russ.... possibilities?

6. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

So the motor doesn't run?? Pull the plugs and do a compression test. That will tell you alot.

Russ

7. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

OIL OUT OF THE SPARK PLUGS!!!!! what were you doing? poor subi engine. (time for the ej20 swap)

8. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

It'll start up, idle for few seconds then choke and die. But I'll do a compression test and what's needed

9. mattdesmond

mattdesmond Guest

I have a compression tester if you want to use it. You basically replace one spark plug at a time with the compression tester to find out how much compression each cylinder has. If one is severely lower than the others, you're screwed. You're also screwed if they are all below spec.

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Matt, I'll be looking forward to using your com. tester. :)
    This mis-firing occured only at high rpm with load in 3rd gear. maybe this is when the crank case is putting lots more oil pressure thus a weak seal at the valve cover gasket breaking?

My car is still not with me and I'll be checking it out were I parked it last night. Would OIL come out if I took off the valve conver? I know I took one off before on my mom's Leggy but I don't remembered if we drained the oil before doing so...

11. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FuJi K

Matt, I'll be looking forward to using your com. tester. :)
    This mis-firing occured only at high rpm with load in 3rd gear. maybe this is when the crank case is putting lots more oil pressure thus a weak seal at the valve cover gasket breaking?

My car is still not with me and I'll be checking it out were I parked it last night. Would OIL come out if I took off the valve conver? I know I took one off before on my mom's Leggy but I don't remembered if we drained the oil before doing so...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, first of all. I think you drive that poor little car a little too hard. [xx(]
    I have heard that if you put in wrong sized plugs, that can lead to a leak and/or wear down the threads. Thus, the oily substance coming out there. With an older engine you can have blow-by from the cylinder walls being worn. Ford F-150's have had problems with the wrong sized plugs installed at teh factory and them BLOWING OUT! Smell that stuff and see what it smells like.

EDIT: Yes oil will drain out when you take off the valve covers as far as I know.

12. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

in a way, I do drive the car a bit hard....hahah! "a bit[/bit] hard"

I guess I'll be getting those copper NGK plugs.., What's the pricing on those? Could I get them at Fleet Farm? Where?

We got her towed home tonight and she's sitting where she left 24hrs before. lol My brother aggreed that the crank case is putting lots more oil pressure thus a weak seal at the valve cover gasket breaking or what not. It's NOT blowing out burnt oil from the back at all.

We'll see tomorrow. BTW, the car is in FWD mode. I'll be building up my 5spd AWD tranny with RA gears and 4.444 final drive with NEW syncros. I'll be searching for that dial guage and shimming specifications.

13. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

ide also say it may be a valve cover gasket, i say spring for the denso iridium plugs though, just because! also is your car smoking at all? that would mean oil in the cylinder, or coolent!...you never know, it is the newer style 2.2, the one that is externally identical to a 2.5!

14. Substeroo

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FuJi K

in a way, I do drive the car a bit hard....hahah! "a bit[/bit] hard"

I guess I'll be getting those copper NGK plugs.., What's the pricing on those? Could I get them at Fleet Farm? Where?

We got her towed home tonight and she's sitting where she left 24hrs before. lol My brother aggreed that the crank case is putting lots more oil pressure thus a weak seal at the valve cover gasket breaking or what not. It's NOT blowing out burnt oil from the back at all.

We'll see tomorrow. BTW, the car is in FWD mode. I'll be building up my 5spd AWD tranny with RA gears and 4.444 final drive with NEW syncros. I'll be searching for that dial guage and shimming specifications.

What's going on w/your rear diff right now? Todd was saying something about it being bad to use FWD because of the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds. Although, he may have been referring to dyno testing only. hmmm... Honestly, I think the standard NGK plugs would work fine on your car.

15. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

IMHO its the O-ring that the is on the valve cover that seals the spark plug galley. The plug could be a little loose and the preasure is pushing the oil out of the galley.

Sorry Fue I dont have a compression tester.

16. morganm

morganm New Member

Start right where you see the leak coming from. Pull out that spark plug wire. Put a socket on your spark plug and feel if its loose. Hopefully it's that simple. If it's tight then pull the plug and look at the electrode and threads near the tip. Note its condition and report back :mrgreen:

If you want you could come over and we'll look at it. Then you can pick up those cylinder heads also ;)

You will NOT leak out ALL your oil from pulling the valve cover. You will drip some thats cought up in there but the majority of it drains down into the pan. You should not have to drain your oil pan. Throw down some cardboard below the engine, pull it off, and you will have minimal mess.

Later

17. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Substeroo
    What's going on w/your rear diff right now? Todd was saying something about it being bad to use FWD because of the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds.
    hahaha I have a 5spd FWD Leggy tranny in my car right now.

Matt, I aggree that it is possibly the O-ring around the plug galley. Too much oil pressure from hig RPMs causing it to break or what not. Too much heat probably making it hard and probably cracking afterwards.

18. kickin_81

You should have properly warmed up your engine before performing any of your stunts. (You know what I'm talking about, Mr. MPH limiter) :p

19. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Substeroo
    What's going on w/your rear diff right now? Todd was saying something about it being bad to use FWD because of the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds.
    hahaha I have a 5spd FWD Leggy tranny in my car right now.

Matt, I aggree that it is possibly the O-ring around the plug galley. Too much oil pressure from hig RPMs causing it to break or what not. Too much heat probably making it hard and probably cracking afterwards.

I would spray some brake cleaner in there and get the oil out befor you pull the plug or the valve cover. Make sure you also clean the S/P boot as that is what most likly causing your mis-fire.

20. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Well....what I found out that the spark plugs are just fine, needed a little regapping but they're not wet from oil I don't think, more like fuel.

I'm going to do a Compression test. Gonna borrow from my auto tech teacher. If it has bad pistons or something...I'll be saving up for the STi shortblock.

What's the compression that I should be looking for?? I'll be looking at the ALL DATA at my auto tech teachers desk but post away if you know it. It MIGHT be my heads too, who knows...

EDIT: Could I take out the heads with the engine still on the car? Unbolt engine mounts and tilt engine with floor jack.... Probably have to do a leak test with Keroscene

21. morganm

morganm New Member

Good idea with the compression and leak down tests. Could call a stealership up and ask service dept. to look in the FSM for compression numbers.

Heads should come off in engine bay easily. All the EJ22 heads I've pulled were with the engine in the car. I think they are way easier to do than my EA82 heads. EJ heads you can pull with the valve covers on!

22. kickin_81

23. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by morganm

EJ heads you can pull with the valve covers on!

I beg to differ! You have to pull the cams out to get to the head studs. Please check your information!

24. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by morganm

EJ heads you can pull with the valve covers on!

I beg to differ! You have to pull the cams out to get to the head studs. Please check your information!

Okay, every EJ22 and EJ18 I've pulled heads on I didnt have to touch the valve covers....

better?

25. bikerboy

Still dont believe it. So all the head studs are external on those? The only external studs I can think of in all the motors I have done are v-twin motorcycles. Interesting

26. AWDimprezaL

you've pulled the older ones, the newer ones look identical to a 2.5

27. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

Still dont believe it. So all the head studs are external on those? The only external studs I can think of in all the motors I have done are v-twin motorcycles. Interesting

Well belive it cuz I'm not just making stuff up here. I've physicly pulled these heads with my two bare hands. Two of the heads are on my shelf in my garage right now; valve train fully assembled and untouched when I removed the heads. They werent studs either; really long head bolts.

AWDimprezaL: correct; these are first gen EJ I'm talk'n about here. ;)

28. bikerboy

I have never done any work on phase 1 motors just phase 2 that is interesting stuff. So they would have to be SOHC with rockers then correct?

29. morganm

morganm New Member

I have never done any work on phase 1 motors just phase 2 that is interesting stuff. So they would have to be SOHC with rockers then correct?

Correct, SOHC. I haven't pulled heads on an DOHC EJ before. Only seen one in person really :p Looked BIG :eek:

30. kickin_81

I've seen Morgan's EJ22 heads in his garage. They were assembled. :?:

31. AWDimprezaL

phaze one power!:D

32. ricqik

ricqik Guest

Okies, so here's the deal. Spark plugs and wires and coilpack all work. Crank sensor and cam sensor all work. Injectors all work because it starts everytime I crank it.

Every crank it'll start up and come to idle. It'll idle for a bit and then choke and die. Seems like something it blocking it from breathing or something. It's getting fuel because it starts up every time.

Don't know if it really is the fuel pressure regulator...

33. morganm

morganm New Member

Mass Airflow Sensor

Dont rely on some codes to save you. Do an OHMs resistance test on each pin of the MAF and check it against OEM specifications.

34. bikerboy

Mass Airflow Sensor

Dont rely on some codes to save you. Do an OHMs resistance test on each pin of the MAF and check it against OEM specifications.

I would start there as well, but first check the air filter to make sure it is fairly clean and not oily. If it is clean them test the MAF

Good one Morgan

35. AWDimprezaL

i would definatly say maf...i forgot to plug mine back in when i put my intake on....it idled for about 2 seconds then died

36. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I'll clean the MAF and see what happens first. (Brake cleaner, and I won't touch because it's fragile)
    I don't know how many OHMS it should read...

37. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Cleaning the MAF didn't help...
    mmm....

38. bikerboy

Is the MAF the same in your car Fuji? If so swap it out and see i fthat is it.

39. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Whoa, are we talking about MY99 MAF sensors? I've got a few of those sitting around, one new in the box. Dunno if it's the same one for non-2.5 engines though.

40. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Yes, we're talking about the MY99 MAF sensors. IF you're willing to come give me a call Garret. e-mailed you...

41. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Are there ANY electrical solenoids anyone can think of besides the fuses?

42. Substeroo

On the opposite thought pattern, could it be running too rich? I know it's fuel injected but who knows?

43. AWDimprezaL

its definatly rich, i smelled it when he fired it up...STINKY! but still a badass wagon nonetheless

44. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Erick...any updates? We're all waiting on the MAF. Ireally hope it is the maf.....other than that....I'm really clueless because of all the things we've checked already....

If you think something should be checked, then do point it out so I can take a look.

45. AWDimprezaL

nope, the master tech is on vacation! ide say if the MAF doesnt work then get it brought to the shop[xx(] wish i could be more help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.