What does this look like?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by FuJi K, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

oh yeah...one of the mechanics said to change your fuel filter. its only a couple of bucks

2. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

pcv valve too maybe.

3. morganm

morganm New Member

Call up a dealership, ask for Service department, and get a tech to look in the FSM for your year/make/model for the OHM resistance specs for your MAF. Make sure he gives you the specs for each PIN on the MAF.

I'd do the same resistance test on Crank Position Sensor and Cam Position Sensor. These are vital parts of your ignition system for your EFI engine.

4. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the MAF sensor because even with it disconnected, it still has the same symtoms. The car should run/idle still with or without the MAF connected.

Could it be the water temp sensor? What other sensors should I look for?

5. AWDimprezaL

try the coolent temp sensor i guess, or tow it in and have them diagnos it, and then you can fix it

6. morganm

morganm New Member

ECU doesnt look at coolant temp untill its in open loop (full operating temp)

Did you do OHMs resistance test on Crank Position and Cam Position sensors? Those are KEY to your engine running. With out an distrubutor to dictate spark timing your computer relies on those 2 sensors.

7. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Your problem is pretty common, or the leak part anyways. There are spark plug hole boots right behind the valve cover that may leak when the crack, or move from the original position. The fix is get the valve cover gaskets(2), and the plug seals(4), and dont forget the bolt seals(10). That'll fix both sides. E-mail me about the miss and i'll help ya there too. See ya later, Brian....

8. AWDimprezaL

brian, it leaks but doesnt stay running...ide say he should have it towed to our work, then you can work on it!

9. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by driftin240

Hey guys, Your problem is pretty common, or the leak part anyways. There are spark plug hole boots right behind the valve cover that may leak when the crack, or move from the original position. The fix is get the valve cover gaskets(2), and the plug seals(4), and dont forget the bolt seals(10). That'll fix both sides. E-mail me about the miss and i'll help ya there too. See ya later, Brian....

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Thank you for the info, because my car leaks a bit inside the seal of the spark plug canal, too.

10. kickin_81

11. morganm

morganm New Member

Hah supprised nobody (including myself) have said this yet

VACUME LEAK :cool:

Might have bumped one off by accident when doing that thar tranny swap. Its easy to do; especially the fat 5/8 ID hoses up under the intake snorkel between MAF and TB. Whole mess of them buggers under there. One might even just be severly cracked or a plastic fitting might be breaking apart.

12. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

so.....I ghettoly rigged the MAF that Noah gave me onto my stock harness. The first crank it started but then a CEL came up and the engine stalled again as it would. I then turned the wires around and then told Lee to crank her up. She started and stayed on.

LOTS OF SMILES yO!

SO I guess I need a NEW MAF. Thanks Matt for the input on it being the problem.

The o-rings on the spark plug area is normal wear and tear, so that's wasn't the problem. I also need a new oil seal...so I'll be getting that along with a new timing belt since I'll be messing around in there.

Thanks everyone!

13. kickin_81

Fuji, when you're going to perform that on your car, let me know so I can come help. I need to learn this stuff and do it for my car, too. :)

14. AWDimprezaL

the beast wagon is alive!...er will be alive!;)

15. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by morganm

Mass Airflow Sensor

Dont rely on some codes to save you. Do an OHMs resistance test on each pin of the MAF and check it against OEM specifications.

Yep, what he said ;)

16. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Fong, when it gets warmer I'll do my timing belt and the oil seal on the oil pump.

The o-rings aren't that hard to do I think. Becaue IMO they only require you to take off the valve cover and replace the o-rings. I've done a valve cover gasket replacement on my Mom's Leggy but not the o-rings.

First I'll be fixing this MAF then I'll do the timing belt and oil seal this spring when it gets warmer. I'll probably not do the o-rings because I might swap the heads for the ones I got from Morgan. I'll most likely get those cams on those heads grined by DeltaCam. Then I'll be working on my equal length exhaust and so forth. But before the head swap, I'll be saving for some tranny or making my press so I can take apart my tranny and start depressing things and pressing things in.

17. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

MAF sensor is in and it feels great, except the fact that it's FWD...

anyway...carry on....Go play GT4!

18. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FuJi K

MAF sensor is in and it feels great, except the fact that it's FWD...

anyway...carry on....Go play GT4!

WOOT!

Glad to hear you got it running! :mrgreen:

19. kickin_81

Good! Now go do some more doughnuts in your neighborhood. I'm kidding. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.