When putting on the Winters?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by zapman, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

When is everyone planing on puting on their winter tires? This is the first year I have full fledged winter tires and not allseasons fro the winter and i dont' want to put them on too early and wear them out before winter even starts.

2. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

When it snows and acually starts to stick.

3. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

It's really up to you. You could put them on when the weather is consistently below freezing every night. That way if it were to ever rain during the day and freeze overnight, you'd want traction.

4. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....about the first accumulating snowfall.... :p

Seriously, it depends on your situation. I have a separate set of snows/wheels that will take 20min to swap when it is time. Some have to use the wheels their summer tires are on. In that case, I would think mid-Nov is a good rule-of-thumb. Some people travel or live up North and that is a factor as well....

Bottom line.... YMMV. ;)

5. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

yeah i have 2 sets of rims so thats not an issue (18" winter rims FTW!!) and like you chin i have all the stuff to swap them out quickly.

i was just worried about geting caught off gaurd with my stock sti tires/rims on :(

I had also been at college the last 5 yrs so i would change them out in mid-early october just becuase i was worried we would get snow and i would have been 4 hrs away from my tires.

6. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

I'm rollin on uber pimp RE92's (the super awesome hyper mega 2006 WRX kind with the 45 sidewall) until the snow sticks. then I'll sell the RE92's and keep the wheels, powdercoat those black, and put some nice azenis' on there and get them all ready for next spring.

Good thing I got a nice set of RS 6 spokes with fresh snows on them. But theyre a waste of tread until snow is on the ground.

7. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

+1 here

8. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

did you finally buy snows for your sti?

9. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

no no no

Driving the Blazer this winter.

10. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

winter tires actually wear out alot slower than normal tires from my experience. i put over 15k on my winter tires on dry pavement in one season and the thread basically looks the same.

11. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

^not mine, my winters wear a lot faster then my summer tires

12. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

really? i guess everyone has their own experience.....mine barely moved and my azenis already showed some thread wear and i just got them late summer.

13. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

well today I bought some brand new Kumho I'Zen Stud.... without studs... for $200 four tires.... I know Kumho's but hey... they gots to be better than the stock tires that came on my 03 WRX 3 yrs ago...

14. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I put my sisters winter tires on in mid november.

15. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

+1 for waiting for the first snow fall that sticks

16. hofit

hofit Well-Known Member

I've got Rota Boost 17X8 in Bronze with LM-25's coming next week. They are going on when they show up cause I want to see the rims on my car.

17. hercules

hercules New Member

agree! kickin81 fongolina knows how long i have my snoweys on heeheh....

18. TrisNiN

TrisNiN Well-Known Member

I actually just did mine tonight, but I will be out of town until November...

19. redheat86

redheat86 Well-Known Member

I did mine last night as well.

20. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

When? When it snows and the snow STAYS. The next few snow days (whenever they are) you don't need to. Just drive according to the weather.
    Understand what tire you have on currently and drive within its limits. Here in the cities, the snow actually only STAYS on the ground for like..2 days MAX because it get plowed already. I find my hill and I go there after it snows the next day and I find it ALWAYS plowed already.

Last year I drove THROUGH WINTER with my BALD ALL SEASONS. I made it through. I drove correctly. Of course I had my fun times too, but when you're driving around town, just drive safely. Don't expect your car to like STICK ON RAILS with snow tires. They'll give you a lot more traction than BALD tires I tell you that.

I don't know if I'll ever purchase a dedicated snow tire, only if I where living out of town I would, here in the cities, no need (unless in some snow driving events). All seasons does it well.

21. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I have dedicated snows for my crx. I used to put them on over thankgiving break (when I was in school) because I kept them in my grandmas garage in Iowa.

I'm just going to use the stock tires this season unless we get some ungodly amount of snow this year. Then I'll buy some hakks for the stock rims and get some rims and tires for spring. I need a chance to get used to this awd thing and crappy all seasons with not much tread left will be pretty fun me thinks.

22. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

i'm gona put them on tonight.

i have been putting it off...

23. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

wait for it...

wait for it...

ok, still not on the car. a few more weeks still.

24. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

I put my stock rims and rubber on right before the duluth trip. I will leave them on through the season. How ever the rubber needs to be replaced, but I am hoping I can make these tires last till december so I can buy new rubber right before the ice races.. New rubber for the ice races FTW

25. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

I tend to put winters on when we start getting below zero temps overnight for a little extra black ice protection... (I work late most weekends) so yeah, they're on now. AWD doesn't help you stop. :p I run pretty aggressive summers though.

26. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

i am getting mine mounted on sat. however i probably ownt put them on until the extended for cast does predict anything over 40 as a high. i dont wanna eat up all my new rubber.

27. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

i've got mine on now.
    the summers were totally shot (SEE: Faint impression of where tread USED to be.) it's cold enough now that it shouldn't be an issue.

plus... the falkens were so aggressive, and i know it would snow over night... it would be instant death trying to get to school in the morning on them in the first snow.

28. MNWRXWagon

MNWRXWagon New Member

I just swapped my wheels and tires to the snows. I use my stock wheels with the snow tires. They sure are squishy; steering input takes a minute to happen with them on.

29. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

thank god for not having a specific time i need to get to work at. if i get caught one morning with out them on i can just swap them out then go to work. i saw snow flakes this morning and it got me excited to see what my car looks like with 18's!!!

30. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

I plan on swaping this weekend, it's cold enough, and I don't drive the WRX much until it gets too cold for the miata, otherwise why not pur them on, unless you don't like traction.

31. TSTRBOY2004

I am contemplating putting mine on today seeing as the tires are remounted onto the painted rims... hmmmm

32. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

last year i waited a week too long and had to drive home at night over glare ice with azenis'. the car went straight sideways from a standstill at a light - i was literally having to countersteer and block a lane of traffic just to go straight... pretty funny.

33. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

ok, finally did mine lastnight.

now it can snow!

34. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

well i've finally decided to throw my winters on tonight.

60% chance of precip overnight with a low below freezing + stock sti tires = me in ditch.

35. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I still havent gotten my winter set. Im not worried. I can handle wet roads. But as soon as the UPS guy gets here I will have them on. Hopefully by the weekend.

36. John16V

John16V Well-Known Member

I am still waiting to put mine on...

37. Dynapar

mine are going on tonight or tommorow.

forecast looks like all below 40*. so its time. I CANT WAIT FOR SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

I think I'll be putting mine on tomorrow as well. The 10 day forcast shows temps no higher then 42 with lows in the 20's.

39. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

The forcast I heard was a few inche's on Tuesday, which means I need to put my snow tires on all three cars over the weekend.

40. Dynapar

w00t, got the snows on this morning. i have some very minor rubbage on my mud flapsnothign crazy just the flap is alittle too close to the tire under hard turning. no fender-tire rubbing so i am safe.

BRING ON THE SNOW!

41. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Just finished putting mine on. Low profile snow tires just look so strange.

42. TSTRBOY2004

just put mine on......

43. Dynapar

They look MEAN! low profile, with some meaty tread on em. they look susper aggressive like i am gonna be drving in sand dunes. i love the look.

44. carl

carl Well-Known Member

next weekend i think. time for an oil change and winter wheels

45. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

put them on L cheapo today, and i found out it can be quite easy to get the car sideways on pavement now:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.