Where The Heck is my Illumination Control Module?!?!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Travis, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Travis

Travis Member

Hey everyone! I have a 2003 Legacy sedan and I have been trying to find my illumination control module ALL DAY. I have disassembled most of the dash. I have a factory service manual and even that isn't very clear on it's location. Hours of googling and disassembly have got me no where. Please help!!

2. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

You will never find the illuminati. They will find you....

silver03 likes this.
  3. Travis

Travis Member

Hahaha! This thing is impossible to locate!

4. Travis

Travis Member

Well I am at a total loss. I have removed nearly every panel from both sides of my dash and I cannot locate this thing. Manual says it's plug B43 in location C3. I've removed everything under the steering wheel, the radio and CC center cluster, the glove box, and all of the kick panels. nothing. I give up for today hopefully someone will throw me an answer or a clue by tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Looks like on older Legacys it's mounted to the backside of plastic panel under the steering column. Would be near the obdII port. It should be a little black box, 6 pin connector and literally labeled "Illumi Con Unit" or something similar.

6. Travis

Travis Member

I think that's on second generation legacys. Mine is a third. Here's my ODB port:

Attached Files:

7. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Based on the location of the connector on your illustration of the wiring harness, I would try looking on the passenger side of the center stack based on the illustration I am posting (yes, I know that is not a third gen dash, but the harness location looks like it is the same).

6-3_electrical_unit_location05.jpg

8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

9. Travis

Travis Member

Thank-you! Buuuuut I already removed the glove box and the kick panel and I didn't see this darn thing. Plus I found my flasher unit right under the steering column so I'm guessing my harness is different. I found the flasher right off the bat and thought it was the illumination control unit, but alas it is not haha.

Here's a picture from the passenger footwell. Directly on the other side of that glass-filled PC panel is the cavity for the radio, so I'm pretty sure it's not there. Of course I'm also pretty sure I've probably looked right passed it somewhere along the way haha.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  10. joebush44

Probably doesn't help at all, but in my 98 Impreza it's mounted behind the glove box near the passenger door.
    [​IMG]

11. joebush44

I'd maybe pull your radio and shifter trim. Look around near your air bag control unit mounted on the trans tunnel.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

What are you trying to do? I'm looking at the 2003 FSM, and that connector is not pictured.

13. Travis

Travis Member

I put a oil, temp, and volt gauge cluster in and I'm thinking I burnt out the illumination control module based off the symptoms and finding multiple threads of guys describing the same things. So I'm trying to find it to replace it and see if it smells of the magic smoke. I pulled the radio and shifter trim and the air bag control to look behind it. Nothing. I actually think the 98 impreza placement is promising. I haven't pulled that outside panel because it looked to be tied in pretty heavily with the rest of the dash above the glove compartment. At this point though it's about the only place it could be haha.

The picture I posted above is out of the FSM for a 2003 Legacy. it says there is a ICM and that it's connector B43.

14. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

^^ What Chux said. I see the BIU doing the illumination (ground side of the back lighting) in the FSM ETM.

15. Travis

Travis Member

Here's a picture of the PDF manual I'm looking at. There's also A very good chance that it's wrong or I'm reading it wrong, but it mentions illumination control module 6 times and the plug layout picture I posted above (B43) says it's for a left-hand drive 4 cylinder. Here's more screen shots. Where's the dohicky you guys speak of located?

All I wanted was an oil pressure gauge...haha

Attached Files:

16. pillboy

Oil pressure gauges are overrated.

17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

That must be from another market. I'm looking at it right from Subaru Tech Information System (I work at a dealer), the correct publication number is G2300BE

Try this diagram:
    http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy Outback/2003/Service Manual/WIRING SYSTEM SECTION/WIRING SYSTEM/MSA5T0307A32633.pdf
    and
    http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy Outback/2003/Service Manual/WIRING SYSTEM SECTION/WIRING SYSTEM/MSA5T0307A32603.pdf

Just got it to download. The file titled "2003 Legacy EU" on JDMFSM has publication number G2300GE like yours.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  18. Travis

Travis Member

LIES!!! I don't know who to trust anymore!! Hahaha Well the good news is I now know how to disassemble most of my dash. Now to learn how to reassemble it...

Well Chux as was mentioned above I don't see anything called "illumination control module" on that diagram (thank-you for providing it). But I have no dash lights but the fuse is good and I messed with the wiring so I assume I fried something. What am I looking for now?

19. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Not sure what to tell you. You've got the diagrams...get a multi-meter and start testing.

I did some searching in the entire file, and couldn't find a testing procedure for the illumination system or integrated module specifically. I did notice that the illumination and tail lights share much of the same power supply. So the easiest first step is to see if you have tail lights...

20. pillboy

Duct tape a flashlight to the steering column to shine on the gauges. Or if the idiot lights still work, they will let you know when there is a problem. Drive with the flow of traffic and shift by ear. Real men don't need no stinking gauges.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  21. Travis

Travis Member

pillboy who hurt you? Do you need a hug?

Well crap. Nope, just checked and no tail lights. I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to electrical so I think I will solve this by quietly weeping in the corner...

22. Robert Ellison

Robert Ellison New Member

I made a short youtub vid for the location of my Illumination Control Module for my 2002 outback wagon. Not sure if it is in the same location as an 03 Legacy. But maybe. It took me about 10 minutes to pull the dash cover and radio to get to it.