Where to get 93 octane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RexNEffect, Jul 4, 2009.

1. wrxwied

wrxwied Member

Just thought this could be bumped, I moved up to Duluth on Sunday, and so far the only station I've found with 93 is the BP on 1831 West Superior Street. My car is actually tuned on BP 92 octane, but I haven't seen any of those either.

2. MightyP

MightyP Member

I'm no gasoline expert but how would some BP stations have 93 while others have 91 octane? I doubt there is more than one or two distribution centers for MN and keeping two types of premium wouldn't make sense. Am I missing something? Has anyone tested the gas to see what you're actually getting?

Thanks

3. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

The gas is mandated and regulated.... it is tested to be at least the number on the sticker. This thread is old and granted I get e85 now .... but when I was going to BP's I always had 93.

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Go to 4 Seasons at 169 and Rockford Road. 100 unleaded. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

Legacy25GT likes this.
  5. Legacy25GT

Legacy25GT Active Member

Eagle Lake BP on 63rd Ave. and 169 in Maple Grove has 93 octane. Watch out for the parking lot though, major potholes. With a Holiday on ever corner in my neighborhood, this BP is the only place to get 93 by me. I'll buy 91 at Shell, Four Seasons Auto, and Fleet Farm.

6. AndyBoyee

AndyBoyee Well-Known Member

Bringing up this old thread. Any 93 octane near east st paul and fridley? Also with the new super fuel that SA have, are they any good? I mostly pump 91 from shell only and havent even seen any 93 oct anywhere.

And whats the pro for e85? Mileage? Power?

7. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

I don't think there is much difference if you're stock between 91 and 93. But 95% of bp stock 93 octane. Just google it in your area.

In regards to e85, you need to be tuned for that too. And its for power not fuel efficiency

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Basically any BP in the twin cities area carries 93 octane. Some up-charge more than others...the price variations are pretty significant.

E-85 has a higher octane rating and burns cooler, therefore it is easier to get more power. But it is less efficient, so it takes more fuel to obtain the extra power (MPG's will go down). Do some searching on IWSTI and NASIOC and you will learn a lot.
    In terms of power between 91 and 93 on a stock tune, no you will not notice much difference. However, higher octane fuel has better knock protection...given some inherent subaru engine/tuning issues, I'll take all the extra knock protection that I can get.

Nhibbs likes this.
  9. AndyBoyee

Thanks. Only been to a couple bp and dont remember seeing 93 on the sticker. Just wandering so I can try out stage 1 93 oct map on my ap v3. Im running cobb sf intake with box and CBE for now only and with stage 1 91 oct, I can feel some power gains and slight lost in mpg. After this tank Ill find a bp and fill with 93 and flash the stage 1 93 oct map and see if any difference.

Just moved here from Cali and didnt know MN have 93.

10. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Where in Cali? Now you don't have to run the ACN Cobb maps intended for the crap that passes for gas there, you can run the normal 91 or 93 maps :g

AndyBoyee likes this.
  11. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

To expand on the e85 thing, fuel is about 1$ cheaper per gallon so it pretty much equals out.
    And most bp stations have 93, sometimes they only have it at certain pumps though. I don't think the one off Wheelock pkwy and 35e has 93 though..

12. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

BP on west 7th and St. Clair has 93

13. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

I stopped at a kwik trip few weeks back to fill up. Their 91 said non oxygenated NO ETHANOL ADDED. What is that all about?

14. Ryan FailRad

Confusion... It's good to use though... I thinks

15. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

That means it doesn't have ethanol boosting the octane meaning it's better quality gas. 91 with ethanol is ****ty 87 with some ethanol to increase octane.

16. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I got 15 mpg on my last tank of e85 :D. Definitely worth it. Race gas for cheap

AndyBoyee likes this.
  17. AndyBoyee

From Fresno. Yea Im not running the acn map.

Damn. Thats too little mpg for me. Mines a DD and I drive mon-fri to work from east st paul to fridley. Also mostly on the weekends Im always at my buddy which is in bc also. Big cities man -.-

Wait, you trolling? 15 mpg a tank? Lol read it too quick.

18. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Fresno, no way! My wife and I lived in Bakersfield for the past few years before moving back here, which is pretty similar to Fresno! Actually we always thought that it was a little nicer than Bako, especially since Yosemite and the Nevadas are so close to Fresno...

AndyBoyee likes this.
  19. Mintyfloss

Mintyfloss Member

didn't see this one on the list - BP on Como and Raymond - close to 280's exit onto como.

20. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

not sure if this has been mentioned but 93 is available at silver lake and palmer dr by 694.

and off university across the bridge and into northeast i think it might be 27th? dont quote me on that.

and off cleveland and cty rd D has 93. Another bp by rosedale mall has it. as well as the one off snelling down by stouts too.

AndyBoyee likes this.
  21. AndyBoyee

Thats nice! Never been to Bakersfield, heard of it though. Didnt do much traveling when I was still there. Sucks I didnt get the chance to go see Yosemite before I moved here.

22. Ryan FailRad

I drive minimum 60 miles per day on e85 and get 18.5 mpg, plus it's 1$ cheaper per gallon, so the mpg aren't really a factor...

AndyBoyee likes this.
  23. LawnMaster

LawnMaster Well-Known Member

No 93 octane at the BP in Carlton (35W just south of Duluth).

BTW, I suggest taking the Hwy 23 route the next time when you're heading to/from Duluth as it's a nice alternative to a flat boring 4 lane freeway. Hwy 23 is a smooth scenic road with tall pines and some twists and turns on the northern half of the route.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    SurlyOldManMN likes this.
  24. jblewis

jblewis Well-Known Member

The BP on University, just south of Fridley has 93. (Just south of St Anthony Parkway)

25. Jnguyen

Jnguyen Well-Known Member

BP Bass Lake & 494 in Maple Grove has 93.

26. URmomLIKESforcedINDUCTION

URmomLIKESforcedINDUCTION New Member

I think that one off Bass Lake and 494 still carries non-oxi but in a lower octane unfortunately. Anyone know where I can get non-oxi 93?

27. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Bump. Find93.com. **** works.

28. derp

derp Well-Known Member

at it points you to every BP in the metro since that's the only ****ing place that sells anything over 91 pissgas.

29. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

What about the non-oxy stuff from Bills Superette?

30. derp

derp Well-Known Member

great for your lawn mower.

tangledupinblu and JasonoJordan like this.
  31. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

You want to stay away from that in my understanding because the small amount of ethanol that comes in the 91/93 is what helps with the knock and running higher timing and if it is tuned on regular 91 to the bleeding edge then you run none oxy (in theory has 0% ethanol) you can cause issues with your car. Reason people run non-oxy is for things like cars that are not driven a lot same thing with lawn mowers and snowblowers since the non-oxy has no ethanol it stores better. Ethanol is what attracts condensation to the gasoline then in turn causing water in your gas.

CarpalTomO and silver03 like this.
  32. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I only run non-oxy in my motorcycle (carbureted)...mistake?

33. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Nope that is what it is designed for. Carb engines.

silver03 likes this.
  34. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

My $0.02.

The alcohol/ethanol breaks down rubber which clog up carbs in old cars like my mustang. They have ethanol safe fuel lines now but you still have issues with carburetors because of the extensive use of rubber seals like the float bowls and such. Ethanol also likes to absorb (?) water and when it sits unsealed, it will oxidize fuel lines and rust them out. Oh and carburetors don't like water either.

This stuff can happen if you let it sit in a newer car with injectors too. Boosted cars or any car with a modern ecu and a knock sensor like the extra knock prevention. Usually it's because boosted applications tend to knock before peak torque. The ecu uses those knock events to pull timing to keep a happy engine but you lose in performance.

silver03 and JasonoJordan like this.
  35. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Well that's good to know... So much for ever putting non-oxy in again (rarely do, since it's hard to find anyways).

36. Mnelson

All of the Kwik trips near me sell 91 non oxy. Seems like a standard they have.

But in general, ethanol is like anything in this world, just as good as it is bad. /end rant

37. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I think they actually have a sticker in the window advertising that they have it, aiming at people with classic cars and stuff.

38. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Hates my offering. Tell me where to get the best damn 93 around here @derp

39. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I don't hate your offering, I said that the only place around here to get 93 is BP. The website just points you to all the local BP stations lol

40. Mnelson

I know some shells do too, but not all.