Where to get a 2013 WRX key cut and program?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Tendo, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Tendo

Tendo Active Member

I'm trying to get some extra keys for my 2013 WRX. I recently bought the car and only got one key with it. I would like to have a extra one, and another one to use for a remote starter. I plan to buy the blank keys on Ebay and find a place to cut them and program them. I know the dealer can do it but I'm sure that going to be expensive. Anyone know a place that's cheaper?

2. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

3. Tendo

Tendo Active Member

Thanks for the info but it looks like there are some locks smith that can cut and program the key. The dealer wants about $100 and a lock smith wants about $80. Let me if you guys know any place else I can try.

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Unless something has changed in later years, my three Subarus all came from the factory with three keys and two lock remotes. I don't understand in this day and age of ridiculously expensive keys why anyone buying a used car accepts anything less than what the manufacturer originally provided.

DIRTY D likes this.
  5. Tendo

Tendo Active Member

Because having one key is not a going to be a deal breaker.

6. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

7. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint Vendor

Anyone know about a 16 WRX? Key with the fob built into the key? How to get a new one programmed?

8. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

This. Drove 6 hours to buy my car. I wasn't driving back empty handed because there wasn't a second fob, despite me giving the dealer both of my keys/fobs and the "gray" key too.

Funny story, i forgot the second set in my car and he called me 5 minutes into the trip asking if i had them. Dumb ass me turned around when I should have kept them for ransom.

On top of that, the last owner took the stock STI wheels off and put some crap after markets on with all seasons. Point is, sacrifices are made in negotiations, keys are low hanging fruit.

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I would include a full set in the price negotiations with the dealer (if Subaru), or get some sort of a discount if the seller can't provide proper equipment on their own. This becomes a moot point if car in question is an automotive unicorn.

10. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Apparently Subaru is supposed to provide both sets of keys if the car is sold as Subaru certified.

I found this out about 8 months after paying the dealer for the 2nd key for my certified 2015 outback.

I checked into the Key Guys they could do it for my 2015 for $289. Dealer was wanted $175.

11. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint Vendor

I bought a blank key fob unit for $29.