where to get pugs?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Chux, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I might just be talking to Morgan here, but I thought I'd put it out on the forum just in case. Anyway, I'm thinking of putting the drivetrain of the GL under the Loyale motor and body. that will solve my rust AND lack of power issues. and while I'm at it, I'm going to put bigger wheels/tires on it. I'm thinking 14's and slightly larger tires without a lift, where should I look for these? and what should I look for?

2. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

I think you would be better off redrilling the hubs for for a 6 lug pattern. It opens a lot More possibilities for wheels. Lots of trucks ans SUVs have that pattern (Toyota, Isuzu, Chevy & more). I was looking at 16" off a Trooper for my XT.

3. morganm

morganm New Member

The pugeot rims are hard to come by. I had to get them shipped from another state by a dude who has a Pug only junkyard. Went with the 15" steel and am quite happy. Frankly I'm glad to have rims that bolt right on.

Redrilling the hubs to a 6x140mm would let you use Toyota rims. You can also just redrill the rims themselves to your bolt pattern. When you do that you can reuse 2 of the holes as they line right up; then you just need to drill 2 new ones.

As for tire size with out a lift you can definatly go larger than stock. 25" tall tires will bolt right on with no triming. 27" tall tires will work if you are willing to trim and bash stuff out of the way. With Pug 15" steel you can go as wide as 9.5" before you rub on the strut seats. Right now I'm running 29"x8.5" Liberator All Terrains from Wal-Mart !_! Nice AT tread pattern and only $53 a tire. You can get Baja Radial AT's from Fleet Farm for about $65 each.

Let me know if you need a hand getting them to fit :) I got the tools to cut fenders and beat fender wells!

Peace

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

If that lead from USMB works out, I will probably get 15's and put 25" or 26" tires and pound/trim the wheel wells to ensure sufficiant suspension travel, so your help may be needed. And if you were to come out here to help me with this, we may just have to take it out to test 'em out }:)

if this does work out, you could ship your spare along with mine and maybe save on shipping, which I hope doesn't turn out to be too much

5. morganm

morganm New Member

Yeah for sure we should ship them together. Hopefully that deal pans out and we can get those pug rims! I really need a full size spare. It's pretty silly I'm offroading with out one :)

I think it would be a blast making those tires fit. Go with 26" atleast man :D Tires are what give you ground clearance, not lift kits. The whole point of my lift kit was so I could fit on bigger tires. So put the biggest tires on you can with out the lift to get the highest ground clearance you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.