Who wants STI Diesel?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Nuke, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Read this off of Nazioc

[​IMG]

Have you ever hankered after a Subaru Impreza STI, but been put off by its poor fuel economy?

Well, a fresh alternative could be on the way. Auto Express has learned Subaru is planning a hot diesel version of its rally-inspired 4WD hatch.

Power is set to come from the company’s all-new 2.0-litre flat-four cylinder boxer unit, which we tried for the first time in the Legacy Sport Tourer (Jan 2008). This will join the Impreza range in standard 148bhp guise this September. However, a tuned version with 180bhp could be used in a racy STI version.

Add a torque output of around 400Nm – up 50Nm on the petrol engine – and the high-performance model could sprint from 0-60mph in seven seconds and accelerate on to a top speed of 140mph. Yet the biggest benefit would be fuel economy of around 45mpg. As the boxer diesel is smaller than the STI’s petrol engine, it would be ideal for a performance model. The turbocharger is mounted beneath the engine, attached directly to the catalytic converters, to give a lower centre of gravity. The powerplant weighs no more than the current version, and would also help slash the STI’s emissions by nearly 40 per cent, from the petrol’s 243g/km to about 155g/km. That could reduce the Subaru’s road tax burden and attract fleet drivers when the car arrives next year.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/217485/subaru_impreza.html

2. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Scwhing! I would put hard cash down yesterday for one.

How about a H6 twin-turbo deezill?

3. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

That'd be sweet, but unfortunately don't see this coming to America.

4. slobright

slobright New Member

i wants one

5. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

Gas mileage was the last thing I care(d) about. What are they going to get next, air bag suspension for that cadillac ride?

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

:roll: dude they wont ever do that.

7. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Yeah we were talking about the Leggy versions with the same plant here:
    http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22197

I already told the flagship dealership that I want to be their first sale on a turbo-diesel LGT if/when it becomes available. Yet they still keep pushing their last 07 Spec B on me for outrageous prices. I think it's down to $28k if anyone is interested...

8. webcrawlr

Why not? Apparently I need better gas mileage (at the sacrifice of power) and everyone always complains about the ride. Don't mind the fact that it was purpose built to fill neither of those areas. If I wanted great MPG I'd buy a TDI Golf. If I wanted a plush ride a Lexus. I didn't want that. I wanted a raw sports car that thought only of performance.

9. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

What? The diesel is going to put out gobs more torque than the current plant. It'll be able to out-accelerate the gas engine. The only difference is it won't be able to top out as high as the gas plant and not have quite the highway acceleration (though depending on the gearing it could). I hope you're not just basing your assumptions on the bhp numbers because those are just important to people playing Top Trumps or prepping their car for the high-speed course.

Now we'll have a car that gets better gas mileage AND the performance. But you're going to pay out the nose for it. I'm guessing the diesel is going to add at least $5k to the price.

Can I also point to the Audi R10 yet? Please?!

10. webcrawlr

You should tell all those silly Formula 1 people to stop investing so much money is gas engines. Might as well tell Indy, Nascar, WRC, etc as well. They all obviously missed the mark. ;)

11. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

You should've gotten a Lotus Elise then.

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

an impreza in any form is an economy car at heart

13. webcrawlr

Not exactly an all year practical car in Minnesota. When this car is paid off next year an Exige is definitely on the list. :yumyum:

That's certainly not the point I was trying to make though. The STI was made more soft for 08 to appease the masses and sell more units. Where does it stop? And at what cost? What happened to that 04 STI that came over with no frills that everyone loved?

14. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.