Who wants to blast some paper? AKA Another MNSubaru shooting day!

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I was just at TWO walmarts and am severely disappointed. The Maple Grove one had 0 boxes of .308 and 0 boxes of .40. The BP one had 0 Boxes of .308 and 1 Box of .40. $12.97 for a box of .40 is a good price, but I wanted alot more than 1 box.

2. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^I went to walmart in Coon Rapids, Blaine, St Anthony, and northtown, And only found 1 box of the .40 I also tried fleetfarm off lexington and all they had was the regular blazer(not brass).:(

3. Dynapar

I did not try the BP fleet farm, but they normally have comparable prices to most sporting good stores, $15+ a box. Walmart is the cheap stuff. I was talking to the guy at the counter and he said that their ammo shipments are unpredictable at best.

I guess I will only be bringing 250rnds of .40.

4. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

I buy my ammo at www.sportsmansguide.com, and pick up at the will-call desk in south st paul.

Hungarian light ball surplus 7.62x54r was 181.12 out the door for 880rds.

5. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Guy's i'm gonna have to bail on this. A friend of mine needs some help with his restaurant and I told him that i'd help. Sorry for performing the classic mnsubaru handwaver action. I'm normally really good about not doing that. :(

6. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

dang this seems to be the way things went...I am sorry I couldn't make it either, I went home from work early Friday sick :-(

7. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

No worries guys, we had a awsome turn out. We reserved 5 lanes and there is a waiting list. I was there with the gang for about 2 hrs than I had to go to work. My wife and I had a blast. Huge thanks to everyone that offered me an opportunity to try out their guns. And especially Brian for showing me how to work these hardware. The 16g was a real treat, I had to contain myself after a while, didn't want to use up too many rounds after taking the heads off of some terrorist and even took the paper off the holder.

I now have some ideas on what to try next, Ted thanks for letting me test the S&W. I think that will be on the rental list for sure next time. It was really nice to meet some more board members. Kudos for putting this event together!

8. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

How about we plan on doing one of these on a weekend I don't work. :p

9. Musashi

Eventually I just decided I was going to take time off of work to make it. LOL :yumyum:

10. devildevil

devildevil Well-Known Member

my poor xavier (xd40) hasnt been out shooting in over a year :(

11. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I'll put some rounds thru it if you want. ;)

I love the XDs. That's one of springfield's best handguns.

12. devildevil

devildevil Well-Known Member

its a bit heavy for daily carry but i feel safer knowing its there and not moving unless i want it to. plus having 13 rounds instead of smaller guns 10 or whatever is nice as well. again, im in Duluth so i doubt you wanna drive just to shoot. Maybe this summer when i bring the wrx down we can have a shooting day. i always bring it with me.

13. Musashi

Has anyone been to www.inrangellc.com in Monticello, MN? It's closer to home, I'm going to go check it out.

14. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I haven't been up there, but I'm always up for new places to shoot.

I had a great time today and it was nice to meet some guys on the board I haven't met yet and some people that I haven't gotten to hang out with in a while. We had a good turnout for this and I think everyone who came really enjoyed themselves, I know I did. My new Ruger 10/22 definitely got broken in ;)

I'm thinking for the next one of these we could try Bill's at Circle Pines. I was up there a couple weeks ago and they have some longer distance ranges for those of us with larger rifles who want to try them out on something longer than a pistol range. They also have plenty of rental guns as well.

Thanks for a great time everyone! :)

15. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I was gonna make it there at around 10am, but I couldn't remember how to get there, I was in Robbinsdale.

16. Dynapar

This was fun as always. I used up all of my .40 ammo, but came home with a big bag of brass. Going to have to fire up the media tumbler soon.

I would be game for trying circle of pines. I think it would be a blast to shoot the .308 at an indoor range (no wind ;) ) at greater ranges that 25 yrds.

17. Dynapar

It is right by the US Bank about 1 or 2 blocks south of 42nd on bonitrue (sp?) rd

18. readymix

Yeah, I was on Bonitreau. I completely missed the turn, and then drove around for a bit then decided I could use some sleep instead.

19. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

I had a great time. HUGE thanks to everyone that let me shoot their hardware!!!
    Definitely started to get a feel for what I liked and what I didn't. I was really impressed with the S&W M&P, I need to research it more. Nice to meet some of you guys too.

I'm definitely down for circle pines, it's right in my back yard;)

20. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

I had a great time too. Thanks to everyone that let me try out their stuff. Next time I'll try to bring some more guns.

I don't mind driving to robbinsdale, but circle pines is a lot closer to me.

21. twofiveRS

I got a good laugh out of this one(the one shot that was dead nuts). Too bad it wasn't the first shot. :yumyum:

btw don't mind the three low shots, I need to work on not dropping the barrel.

[​IMG]

22. readymix

I went there this evening and bought the other Mossberg 500 18.5 with the tactical adjustable stock.

23. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

That was fun, sign me up for the next time around! Thanks Brian for getting katie to try a few new guns that she wouldn't have tried if it was me asking her to. Time to stock up on ammo again, I think we went through 350-.40,100-.38 spl and almost 50 .357 mag.

24. readymix

This your first time at the range? I'd say that isn't that bad for a first time, those would likely be close to center of mass anyway.

25. ShortytheFirefighter

Whoo hoo! Nice find, I was looking at that one too but I figured the other one would be right up your alley. Now you have to come and break that bad boy in! BTW, there's a gun show in Hastings this afternoon, you interested?

Glad you guys had a good time. I didn't realize she was shooting .38s out of that revolver, otherwise I probably wouldn't have stepped her up to my .357SIG, although I have to admit that out of that little revolver those suckers have a pretty good snap to them. My Sig is softer shooting, but that .357 would be a great last ditch gun. I still have to go get one, I'm thinking one of the S&W Tactical revolvers for a fun gun.

26. readymix

YEAH, what time is that gun show?

27. Dynapar

I saw that Mossberg that you got Jason, it looks like a nice gun. you will have to post up some pics of it though ;-)

28. readymix

I can't seem to find the camera, otherwise I'd have posted pics already.

29. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

twofive, what distance were you shooting that pattern at?

30. ShortytheFirefighter

Hastings Armory, goes until 3pm today.

I'll be leaving shortly, I'll pm you my cell number. If you want I can just pick you up on the way there.

31. ShortytheFirefighter

IIRC he was right around 15-20 feet. I personally don't shoot much past that with a handgun, if you're engaging that far out you should've brought a rifle and a friend with a rifle. Most handgun engagements happen inside of 10 feet.

32. Dynapar

I think everyone shooting pistol was shooting at the 21 feet line. Although EBR15 and I both tried shooting at the 50 line as well. at 50 my groups open up just alittle bit ;)

33. twofiveRS

That's correct, I shot at the 21 foot line with all the handguns.
    Glock 19
    xd-9
    xd-m .40
    s&w M+P
    1911 .45
    Brian's .22 (what was that by the way?)

Thanks again to every who let me try their hardware.

34. Dynapar

Brian's .22 is a Kimber. It is thier stand alone .22 version IIRC not a 1911 with the slide conversion.

35. ShortytheFirefighter

That'd be correct. My .45 and my .22 are both Kimbers. The .45 is the TLE II and the .22LR is the Rimfire Target.

36. PRA4SNO

^I figured you were mostly at the 21ft.

Just checking.

I really need to make it to one of these.

37. ShortytheFirefighter

I'll shoot between 10-20 feet, although with my 10/22 I just send it all the way to the back. It's just too easy with the scope otherwise ;)

38. PRA4SNO

I'll be home sometime this summer. We've got a deployment on the horizon, so I will be taking some leave before that happens.

I made it to bills 6 times with family while I was home last time, and can make it there again when I'm home. I'm just not sure if it will line up with an mnsubaru date.

39. Dynapar

Well I was just out and about. For those who are interested it seems like Walmart gets its ammo shipments in on Tuesday nights. I had a very successful ammo run, compared to the previous 2 times atleast, I still hold my streak of buying all the walmarts I stop at out of ammo. (2 last time, 3 this time ;) )

I am now ready for the next Bill's meet. I have plenty of .40 and a decent amount of .308 (we should go to circle of pines!).

for those that are interested:

Walmart ammo prices 3/11/09
    CCI Blazer Brass 9mm (50rnds) - 8.9x
    CCI Blazer Brass .40 (50rnds) - 12.4x
    CCi Blazer Brass .45 (50rnds) - 15.9x
    WWB .40 (50rnds) - 15.xx
    Federal .308Win 150gr (20rnds) - 13.4x
    Remington .308 150gr (20rnds) - 17.xx
    Winchester .308 150gr (20rnds) - 17.xx

and the Maple Grove one didnt have any handgun ammo. they had a sign up about it. I took a pic and will post it tomorrow.

40. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

what's the WWB 9mm value pack up to now? man...I miss that being $10. :( I cleaned out a few walmarts in my day. :laugh:

41. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I stopped at Walmart in Blaine yesterday and found a WWB box of 100 38 special and and picked up one of the two boxes in .40 they had. they did have probably a half dozen boxes of 9mm too.

42. Dynapar

I am not sure what the 9mm WWB is going for. I dont shoot 9 so I wasnt really looking, the CCI 9mm caught my eye because it was so cheap. ie $3 less a box than .40 and $6 less than .45.

Benny: only 1 out of 2 boxes? why not just buy both? Pretty sure Wednesday I bought 12 boxes ;) The scary thing is that I am pretty sure I could go through all of that in one trip to the range. Good thing I will be reloading soon, just got the first batch of brass cleaned up.

43. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^Now that I think about it I should have. I was feeling cheap at the time. Oh well when I run out you should have lots of reloads that you're gonna need me to test out.....right?;) I did manage to find one WWB this afternoon at Brooklyn Park.

44. Dynapar

haha. well if you save your brass for me, we can probably works something out.

45. twofiveRS

agh, just went to sportsman warehouse(they are having a going out of business sale). XD-9 2 mags, holster, case, cleaning brush for $489. :mad: Just not ready to buy yet. If anyone is looking they have 1 left.

btw, Martin, they had a regular XD in .45 there.