Who wants to blast some paper? AKA Another MNSubaru shooting day!

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

Are you right handed?

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yeah, I thought that too when I first saw it. Looks like he put his whole finger through the trigger guard instead of just using his finger tip. The pull to the right leads me to believe that would be the case.

3. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

I am right handed, and as you guys can tell not that great of a shot. I just thought the pic was funny cause I nailed one shot, definitely more luck than skill.

4. readymix

We aren't trying to criticize, we're analyzing your shots so you can make appropriate changes and become a better shooter. Next time you are at the range (hopefully I can be there this time, instead of failing basic map reading 101) we can take a look at your hand and finger placement and see if we can't correct that pull.

5. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Interesting, I think I have the same issue. Except I think I made the adjustment without knowing it. I am also right handed, I tried a couple different techniques, everything I could think of along with mr. Shorten's guidance, everything except for the gangsta sideway handgun style. LOL

I have smaller hands and I was noticing more hits on the right side of the target. I think my most consistant was with Brian's .22 where I had multiple hits vertically above each mark.

I am definately going to invest a lot more time into this before deciding on what to get. I am tempted to go the the Spring event on Friday and get some rounds out of the way, I would think the crowd might be a little thinner and than come back out on Saturaday when you experts can show me around.

6. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

Not making fun, I just coached and instructed for years.

The three low right shots are caused by simple recoil anticipation, nothing more. You are dipping the muzzle just before the round is fired. Recoil is all after the shot, so don't worry about it ;)

Grouping to the right of center mass is all trigger squeeze. Could be as simple as wrong part of the finger on the trigger, or just squeezing too quick (pulling)

Both issues will be fixed with time, and pratice.

7. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

I wasn't getting bent about it so no worries. I know I need to work on not dipping the barrel, I stated that with the picture. I will definitely try and be more aware of my trigger finger next time though, thanks for the tips.

8. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

One thing that's helped me out immensely is to practice with my .22LR Kimber. It lets me get used to the basic mechanics of shooting without the recoil and the noise, and to make improvements to my shooting form much more easily than I would with a larger caliber, not to mention it's cheaper to shoot a lot of it in an afternoon than my other pistols.

9. readymix

Yeah, definately watch that trigger finger. Use just the tip of your finger to pull the trigger. WHen you use the meatier parts, your hand muscles have a tendancy to twist the gun ever so slightly to the right if you are right handed...vice versa for the left.

10. sjwelna

sjwelna Well-Known Member

A friend gave me this, it's nice to just print off of the computer and shoot it at the range, instantly tells you what you're doing wrong. :biggrin:

I got to the range last friday and shot 100 rounds of 9mm and 50 of .45. Had a good time, I need to shoot more. I might be picking up a Yugoslavian SKS tomorrow btw. :cool: :biggrin:

[​IMG]

-Steve

11. readymix

Nice target, but it doesn't say what range.

12. sjwelna

I'm pretty sure that's designed for pistols in the 7-20 yard range if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a PDF of some grip analysis too for pistols in case anyone is curious about analyzing some shooting patterns, similar to the first pic I posted.

-Steve

13. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

That target is for 7yrd pistol shooting.

I have similar issue with handgun groupings except mine tend to go low and left. I am right handed and right eye dominant but my groupings are low and let unless I REALLY REALLY concentrate and take about 5 minutes than I go dead center.

14. STIDan

STIDan Active Member

^^^^What he said. I flinch too. ;) If all of your mechanics are sound, you may want to try dryfire w/dummy rounds at home (after triple checking for no live rounds of course)......and at the range having someone else load your mags with intermitent dummy rounds. If slow firing, try to slow down your trigger pull at let the break "surprise" you.

BTW, Not a bad target. :cheers:

Happy shooting.

15. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

A method I used for rifles is the "Dime Washer Test"

Place a wooden dowel that is able to slip easily down the barrel, but not too loose. 9mm is about a 3/8 dowel but may need some sanding.

With the dowel in the barrel, against the chamber face, place a dime or a washer on the the dowel. Practice dry firing the pistol... if you are doing well the washer/dime should only fall off when the dowel is shoved forward by the hammer.

16. sjwelna

Got out this past weekend and shot a bit. Broke in a new SKS, it shot well (glad I cleaned out all the cosmoline out of it!). I managed 5/5 shots in about a 9" group with just iron sights at 200 yards. I have the target and a witness to prove it! :biggrin: I'll take it!

-Steve

17. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

Where did you find a place to shoot 200???!!!?!?!?!

18. sjwelna

Southeastern Minnesota sportsman's club off of 50th ave SE in Rochester. :cool:

http://www.smsclub.org/

They have a bunch of 25 and 50 yard lanes for pistols/rifles and a long gun range that has backdrops at 100 and 200 yards along with a trap range on the opposite side, and some metal plate/pin shooting lanes for pistols as well. Not a bad place IMO for 50-60 bucks a year membership! It's all outdoors obviously.

-Steve

19. Dynapar

can we get a pic of what this setup would look like? I am kind of confused.

I was just up at Del-Tone this past friday. They have a 200yrd range there as well. Although I didnt get to shoot on it. I was busy on the 100yrd range, until my M1A broke my scope (cheap scope + recoil ?), Then I got to shoot a buddies Enfield Rifle (.303British). Rifle was from WWII and was in immaculate shape, perfect working condition. That was fun!

20. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

You can also just put a dime on top of the barrel of a rifle if it is round.

21. Dynapar

^ cool that helps alot. I will have to try that. Should be good practice.

22. slobright

slobright New Member

Question, I really want to learn to shoot and I don't know where to start(uber-gun n00b). If I were to attend one of the shooting days would someone here be able to offer some guidance?

23. readymix

There are a few of us that can definately get you going in the right direction. I'd help for sure, I'm sure Brian Shorten would be able to help you too, along with Wakaba.

24. slobright

slobright New Member

I don't see anything in this thread, but is there a date setup for shooting in the near future?

25. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Dry firing? I was tought never to do this if at all possible. Isn't it damaging to firing pin etc?

26. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

It's damaging if the firing pin isn't hitting anything. That allows the pin to slow down before it hits the stops. That's why you can still use snap caps, etc. You just don't want to have the pin going into empty space.

I'm looking at dates right now to set up another shooting day at Bill's. I'll be posting up here shortly with some ideas.

27. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I'm ready for another day of shootin! Nick who went with last time just picked up a 10/22 to play with so I'm sure that will come along with our others.

28. STIDan

STIDan Active Member

mmmmmm, doughnuts.^^^^ sorry Ben. :biggrin:

29. Daveo

Daveo Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that dry firing, especially in moderation, is not bad for any modern centerfire weapon.

30. Dynapar

That is not entirely true. It depends on the gun. I know that most modern military rifles (M14, M16/M4,Ect...) are designed to be able to dry fire. Beyond that I would be wary just because you may in inadvertently cause damage to the firing mechanisms. Your best bet is to do alittle research on what ever gun you are using to determine if it is ok. I know that w/ Springfield XD/XDms you are OK to dry fire.

I want to go to bills in April! Any chance of circle pines? if not robinsdale will work. M1A will probably be coming this time as well.

31. Daveo

Daveo Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Circle Pines but I need to find some ammo first.

32. Dynapar

+1 to this. I am going to have to scour around to find ammo again. I went to Maple Grove Walmart on Friday and bought them out. (1 box lol). I am up to atleast 7 in a row or buying them out of ammo.

33. Daveo

Daveo Well-Known Member

What are you after? I need 5.56 and .45.

34. Dynapar

5.56x45, 7.62x51, .40

I am pretty good on the 7.62 & .40. I am mainly looking for 5.56.