Why did you buy your Subie?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Dynapar, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Kinda curious why everyone here bought suburas.

i was heavily influenced by my parents (brand loyalty) and the need for AWD/4WD.

2. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I orignially had a base RSX back in 01 and was going to trade it in for a Type-S, but Bloomington is Acura/Subaru and they didnt have any S's there so they threw me in a WRX. Long story short, I fell in love when I felt that boost for the first time and havent looked back since!

3. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

wanted an awd turbo car and didnt want to go the DSM route.

4. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Fell in love with the performance and handling of the WRX especially in Winter months. I promised myself I would not mod my ride, Broke that in about a week.

5. MPLSREX

MPLSREX Well-Known Member

I've loved the Subie's since I worked at Morrie's Subaru/Saab...and when the WRX came out in 02' I told myself I want to be driving one of these! 4 years later I have one. :hsdance:
    The main reason I fell in love with them is because of the awd and overall styling of the interior and exterior and of course the boost. :cool:

6. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

got mine in spring of '04 from morries in bp, old car borke, i was sick of fixing it. Friend of the family works there told me to test drive it, fell in love with it, and bought it. end of story.

7. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Best all-around performance car for $25k. AWD for winter months. Easily upgradeable. Big step up from my previous '95 neon :)

8. MPLSREX

MPLSREX Well-Known Member

The question was why!??? ;)

9. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

originally wanted an ITR and was mad crazy about the GTR til fuji showed me a RS. i saw one for the first time at rosedale mall and fell in love so i had to get one. it all happened 6yrs ago.

10. Cole

Cole New Member

WRC baby! I've loved the rally cars for a long time, and have always wanted an impreza. Plus, since it's AWD, it's practical ta boot!

11. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

the wrx was one of the only sub $30,000 cars that could walk my turbo volvo.
    my cousin was doing a tubo honda project but scrapped it. considering a wrx or swapped 240sx project.

him and i talked for hours about the wrx, and i said to him, "yeah, but i think i would wait for the sti to come over here..."

so then subaru announced the usdm sti, and i called up our fleet salesman and said, "yess please, white and silver."

12. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

bought my first legacy for the mileage and the AWD. But my WRX because I did not want the legacy anymore and have always wanted a WRX. Great cars, fun to drive, and if you buy the right ones it has boost to boot....

13. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

I wanted a coupe with awd. The only available car for me to purchase was an impreza. I actually bought it right before the wrx came out and I'm kinda happy I did because the RS is HOT! :biggrin:

14. yanwasp

yanwasp New Member

two word : Grand Turismo!

wrx and evo drivers owe a hole lot to sony.
    I had always admired the wrx and wrc.

15. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I've owned my Subaru(s) since November of 2000. I bought my Forester XT because I wanted more space for utility (I use the extra room every now and then), a newer car that I can rely on, AWD, the aggresive looks of it, the safety ratings, optional space for baby seats (a floating option...), and finally the turbocharged EJ257 engine that's found in the STi for thousands less along with the interchangeability of aftermarket performance parts.

16. mndude

mndude New Member

Was always an "SUV guy" until my Trailblazer lease expired and I built a house
    26 miles from work. I wanted something good on gas, sporty and AWD in the winter.
    Had a '97 Legacy GT once and loved how it handled the snow.

My next Suby will have turbo though .....

17. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

My GSR was stolen in 2003; luckily it was paid off and I had full coverage. I wanted something that was a jack of all trades: quick, good handling in all conditions, and enough room for a future family.

I'd also like to thank Gran Tourismo 1 for making me want a Subaru. :biggrin:

18. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I blew my engine in my S-10,
    so while I was rebuilding it,
    I aquired a '91 Loyale wagon,
    omg, I will never go back to wrong wheel drive again,
    the loyale was a f'n rock.
    Traded-in my green 5 speed truck for
    a green 5 speed Legacy.
    (I almost forgot about the two door GL '87
    that my Dad gave me after HS)

so I would have to say that my Dad had alot to do with it.

19. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

Primary deciding factor was that the old style GC Rs's are totally hot! I justified it with the AWD, gas mileage, safety, and the fact it hauled a$$ for a non turbo 4 banger. Drove it with very few problems to 175k, sold it to Lue aka LVT(who crashed it), and then bought my STI last August :slayer:

20. SenorSubie

SenorSubie Well-Known Member

Wanted a decent first car

Needed something to get around in snow and mud

Dirt trails

Gravel roads

and something for kayaking and camping

=

the forester

wish I had a turbo :(

21. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

This is my 5th subie....82 sedan, 84 4x4 wagon, 87 4x4 wagon, 97 legacy sedan, and now 04 wrx.

love the subarus...

22. Dynapar

waht bout yoru other subies? the Silver one thats too fast, and the hawt blue one.

23. mnstilynwrx

mnstilynwrx Well-Known Member

baught it cause AWD is awsome and i love the boxer rumble.. I also wanted to mod something so i went with the subaru

24. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Got Rally Heritage?

I've always been a big Rally fan and has been eyeing Subaru as early as the mid 90's. When the WRX came out in 02, I came close to getting one but heard about the STi coming in a couple of years so I waited... finally got my STi in 04 as my first Subaru.

I lost the STi and will be getting another Subaru soon... just not sure which one yet (used 04/05 STi or the new one).

25. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

i was always into hondas and i was looking for a reliable good everyday/winter car and that's how i bought my white car, then the rear seal on the tranny went out and then came the swap, and ever since then i'm hooked now all i drive is subarus :biggrin:

26. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

There were a few deciding factors for me, a few that others have mentioned. First was the exposure from Gran Turismo always intrigued me. Second, a buddy had a 2000 2.5RS slightly modded that was nice sounding, looking, and handling.

The main thing was the fact that I totalled my GSX Eclipse the June after my senior year in high school. I wanted another Turbo vehicle, and had AWD before and didn't want to de-evolve to wrong wheel drive. So naturally the choices were pretty small for an AWD turbo vehicle that was newer. I looked for another GSX forever to find nothing but beat up, high mileage ones owned by kids. The very few nice ones were always automatics (never) and were extremely overpriced. Used GSXs were $12000+ (thanks to Fast and Furious and the demand they created), as opposed to some 2002 WRXs were already down to $15,000s in summer 2003.

So, i went with the WRX for many reasons; newer, better reliability, more power, still had a waranty, and was the hottest car out when they first came out.

27. JiDM_WeRX

JiDM_WeRX Well-Known Member

with my 95 turbo neon I spun past the 1/8 mile and said scew this and wanted a reliable car with TRACTION :)

28. JBark

JBark New Member

I been looking at subies for a year or two, but wasn't real serious. Wanted something with AWD like my truck, but didn't need to hauling capabilites of the truck anymore, now that the house is finished.

Just so happened that the GM employee pricing thing happened at the same time I got a massive raise, so I couldn't pass up the chance at the 9-2x. Had to go to TX to get the damn thing because I waited too long and wanted the 5MT, but it was definitely worth it. Doesn't hurt that I paid less and got more than I would if I'd gone with the WRX. :)

29. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

My 90 Celica GT-S tranny was crapping out on me, need all new rotors/pads, rear ball bearings and had over 200k miles. No point in fixing so... A buddy from TCMAS is the senior sales person at Suburban Chrysler. Just happened to get an 02 WRX in and priced it at just above $9k for me. Test drove it, both my girlfriend and I fell in love with it.

I was going to test drive some A4's and Maxima's but my girlfriend said don't waste the time, just buy the WRX.:cool:

Great little car.

30. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

Gran Turismo had me loving the WRX, but I was always partial to the styling of the Evo VIII. I couldn't swing an Evo payment on top of the Honda for my fiance, and when GM cut 9-2x prices below 20k, I bought the Saab.

It is 80% of what I wanted, and when I go Stage II, it'll have the power of an Evo.

31. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

I think one of Subaru's ads just really said it all, "Rally proven NOT inspired".

I knew about Subaru but my wife did not. We needed to get a new car and Subaru was by far the cheapest AWD in a car so it was easy to convince her to buy an Impreza Outback Sport (I tried for a WRX but she wasn't going for it). I knew I needed so much more than that so I watched the rallys on Speed and dreamed for many years until I could get my STi. Proven performance and not over priced.

32. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Because I have always had a fasination with the SVX

33. hercules

hercules New Member

had no choice but to buy fong's over price piece of junk

34. masube81

masube81 Well-Known Member

in love with the hood scoop:biggrin:

35. SLoBaru

SLoBaru Well-Known Member

I just wanted to be able to do donuts in the snow.

36. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

'Cause wagons are teh sexay!

Actually, I didn't know that much about Subarus at all until I started working at the dealership and I fell in love with them. The engineering that goes into them just makes sense, and I love the fact that my performance doesn't drop whether its raining, snowing or sunny out.

37. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

w00t!

:biggrin:

38. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Amen brother, amen. ;)

39. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

well, when I was in highschool, both my parents drove '92 subies. mom had a legacy, dad had a loyale. both ATs, both FWD, both rust-free florida cars. When I got my license, I began driving the loyale. it was a hella tough little car, and I loved haveing the low CG of the aluminum boxer, and torque-steer-free feel of the longitudinal drivetrain configuration.....but needed more-wheel-drive......so I bought the '85 with dual range 4WD. I still have the loyale, and with the help from some parts off a 94 legacy parts car, and some more parts from todd, it'll be reborn with the power of an EJ22, torque of an RX tranny, weight of a loyale, and sexy good looks too!!

and then there's the lifted ones......hehehe

my dad's now driving that legacy, it's got almost 240k miles on it, and going damn strong. I've come to the realization that I'm not going to be able to have that motor.....it's ok, I'll find more

my mom replaced it with an '01 legacy

after my latest purchase....we're up to 7 subarus!!

40. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, I was looking for a turbo charged toy, so it was going to be a neon. Then I started looking into the 2.5rs's and found nasioc (I-club at the time). Fell in love with the old body style and decidied to buy a rs and turbo that. While I was getting all my info and parts lined up, I found out the wrx was coming and I picked up one of those instead.

Russ

41. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

cuz it mad tyte JDM street racer car y0! I got da dub are ex cuz I could put all my Linkin Park CDs in at tha same timez. And it haz turb0z.

42. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

I started the moment i saw the new 02's on i-club. I was lokoing at buying an 01RS but fell in love with the bugeye and bought an 02RS, first shipment, first week they were out. Getting to test drive any impreza was a major PITA at the time, especially a WRX as there were only 4 in the state. After dealing with a sleazy rochester dealership that tried to sell me an 02 WRX for $26k including my trade in (which i later sold for $6k) I came back to mpls and bought an RS.

I traded it a few years later for a GC WRX. i knew from the start I should have bought a GC, so much better for tarmac racing due to the big weight differential.

43. Dynapar

go that right!

44. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

I'd always driven full-size RWD Chevy cars, but wanted something with better gas mileage that wasn't ugly, wasn't FWD, and wasn't turbo.

I'm not a Subaru fan, I'm a GC/GM fan. If bugeyes and 04+'s had been the only choices, I wouldn't own a Subaru today.

But the 98-01's look awesome, a little bit like a mini-Skyline.

The look is what initially got me interested.
    The rest was all-good bonuses:
    + AWD (not FWD)
    + Nice torquey boxer, not a crappy lil' 4-banger
    + ABS standard on RS model
    + Long mfg run with standard parts and very few changes
    + Excellent cabin design that I fit into

So far, the only thing I dislike:
    - lowwww steering ratio
    (makes it feel like steering an ocean liner. Compared to my giant Caprice, the Caprice feels sportier and more responsive! (from a steering standpoint))

45. Ravyn

Ravyn Well-Known Member

You feel that way too? I have to admit, that was part of the reason I bought the '00 2.5RS I have today.

The other reason was I was paying a lot on a new car that I was enjoying, but felt I should change it up a bit. So I bought my RS in November, and sold my other car (2004 Dodge Stratus R/T) about a month later. However, I still had it until just last week due to loan and title issues.

The all-wheel-drive on these cars makes them so much fun in any condition. I love seeing a gravel road while I'm driving and quick driving down it just because it's fun. I'm thinking my next will be an '06 STI... but not until 2008 hehe. I'm so in love with that grill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.