Why do you own your Subaru?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by travail, Jan 12, 2010.

1. travail

travail New Member

Why do you drive a WRX or a STI over a EVO? Do they make better DD are the after market parts cheaper. Are they hard to work on and how hard is it to make 400hp on them. What are the pro's and con's on them. My evo has been a pain in my ass for the first day I got it.

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

I own subarus because Ive delt with mitsus in my life, and they have only been junk. Subarus are extremely easy to work on, but they might be a little harder to make power right out of the box VS an evo, the 4g63 is an amazing engine from a potential standpoint.

3. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

I chose Subaru because I prefer my car on it's wheels over a set of jackstands.

4. travail

travail New Member

I know how you feel. Evo are not cheap to fix and the up keep cost a lot to.

5. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I realy don't think it is that hard to get to 400awhp, however that may not last long on a stock 5sp tranny in a wrx.:biggrin:

6. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

I chose subaru because in highschool I had 4 friends who had mitsu's: 1 3000gt vr-4, 3 3000 SL's, and the guy who owned the vr-4 sold it and bought a TSI. I believe that group went though 5 sets of 3rd gear and 2 blown motors. Yes, they are fast. I'm not gonna fight that, but from my personal experience every time I turned around something was broken. That's why I went with suby.

7. Mr. Derek

Mr. Derek Well-Known Member

and to top it off the sound of uel headers is much gooder

8. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

AWD + Turbo = me getting a WRX

I was pretty close to buying an S2K but the RWD and lack of space steered me towards the Subaru. Best decision I could have made. The Boxer Rumble is unlike anything else on the road. I guess my only complaint now is that I should have spent the extra bones and bought an STI.

9. travail

travail New Member

Is there a lot on room in side or no.

10. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

The people :biggrin:

11. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

Bought my Subaru for some reliability/newer car than the old dodge. Plus it has 4 doors and can fit a car seat much better

Still love my DSM though, can't wait till it's done, it should be pretty quick!!

Lies. Bone Stock Evo IX + MBC + 3" Exhaust + injectors + E85 + FMIC & hard pipes= 400awhp on a 2.0

12. Impreza 2.2 T AWD

Impreza 2.2 T AWD New Member

its all preference... I jus love subies..... I think EVOs are awesome and all... Paddle shifting = fail in my book... I like the the EVO 9 a lot but then again i like the 2.5RS body way more... I think mitsu's have great handling tho...

13. LASERBLUE135

LASERBLUE135 Well-Known Member

Not in the rear! but plenty in the front.

I was SWORN on the Evo originally, but the more I thought about it I just could not get over the cost difference. WRX's have been out for a long time, there are many many many more of them available to buy/trade/parts etc. Subarus are like Legos in the way that you can swap parts fairly easily from model to model. I just made up my mind that the Subi was the better buy. If I had a room in my wallet/garage for a bunch of cars to play with...I'd probly have an Evo. But as a one car daily driver, the choice was WRX.

14. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill New Member

Finding a Subaru that hasn't been beat like a red-headed stepchild (leave Shibbs out of this) is also a lot easier then finding an evo in the same condition. Generally I have found that Evo guys are a little more "boy racer" personality types as well. I really like the Subaru community so far, MUCH better than the VW community, both personality wise and lack of womens pants being worn by men wise, lol.

15. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Well-Known Member

this is why i chose subaru!

16. travail

travail New Member

17. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill New Member

Yeah, the new one is a 5 door. There have been previous iterations of the STI in wagon form as well, just not in the US.

18. bora28

bora28 New Member

I chose an STi over an Evo because I see broken cars every day... 6 years of being a shop manager will tell u mitsubishis, um, in my opinion, Suck!

and Subarus sound cooler

19. mplspilot

mplspilot New Member

In stock form they are very similar for DD as i have owned both. The more power you get on either, the more drivability you lose and it gets slightly less comfortable for DD.

I think you are upset because you bought a car with a bunch of pre-installed big mods, that you didn't put on. Some of those mods and parts are questionable in my personal opinion.

Making 400whp on an Evo is really easy and inexpensive and reliable without oversized turbos and valve jobs. You need intake, exhaust, cams, modified or stock IX turbo and e85.

20. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I got my car because it was AWD, reliable and an awesome deal. Granted it was far from a WRX or STi when I bought it, but in my opinion it looks better than those (GC FTMFW!). Add in the lego factor and my then cheap econo car would now give a new STi a run for its money. If I had tried this with a lancer it would have failed miserably (evo swap into a base model lancer? doubt its easy).

I would say that if you arent happy with your evo, find someone with an STi and trade it for a day/week and see how you like it.

21. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

I put an actual thread title on this thread. Carry on.

22. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Don't forget safety ratings....

23. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

My bff Nick had(has) an Evo when we bought our STi and we didn't want the same car as him. But looong before we got it I loved the subaru for being a bit quirky and whatnot. I have no dislike for the evo,I'd even consider owning an 8/9 someday but as a brand I'd get subaru over mitsubishi anytime. I'm curious how many people have driven both cars I have and the evo stock felt like my STi with swaybars I didn't like the clutch/shifter(feels like a toy) but I may just be used to the feel of my car.

Most importantly my wife bought our car and I was not going to stop her from doing that.

24. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill New Member

Haha, thank you.

I bought mine maybe two weeks ago from a member on here, thanks to Curly2k3 digging it out of the classifieds. I considered buying Shibbs ride, but when it came down to it, I didn't want a car payment at this point. I had a few grand in the bank, and I got a nice subi for the down payment of a beat ass evo. I enjoy the hell out of driving it, and it's a blast in the snow. :biggrin:

I think the coolest part about it so far is that everyone I have met in the subi community has been pretty damn cool. I'm sure there are tools/shady mofos out there (there always are, lol) but overall much more mature and actually somewhat technically adept.....Although I come from the VW community, that is overrun with super-stretched tires, euro trash, and men wearing girl pants, or "skinny jeans". Whatever makes them feel better about stealing their girlfriends pants I guess. :laugh:

25. heavy hauler

heavy hauler New Member

awd, performance, 2.5L turbo. hp, ranked highly consumer reports, jd powers. ect.
    cheap aftermarket parts, stage 1 or 2 and you still have the family sports car that can haul the family and get the groceries, (wagon)

26. pattertj

pattertj Member

Honestly, I got it because as a recent college graduate, Subaru was the only place in the state of MN that would finance me...

Turns out it has been the best car I have ever owned. AWD has been stellar this Winter, the community has been great, fun to drive... Couldn't be happier!

27. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

We got PLENTY of those here. "ZOMG I could build a fleet of 1000000hp Subarus for the cost of [insert name of any car priced higher than an sti... regardless of collectability, rarity, technical innovation, performance, etc...]"

:laugh:

yeah... we have too many of those too... plus men wearing clown pants (curly) and old men wearing no pants (scuba steve).

I chose my wrx over an evo bc it's what I could afford at the time. I chose my sti over evo because after a test drive (which was really hard to get for the evo) the sti felt right to me. 100% personal preference since I knew the evo was the better performer and fit my needs better. Same logic with the current car. I test drove better performers, newer cars, cars with better interior, etc... but the one I ended up with just felt right.

that said, and assuming your evo is modded past 400whp, trading your evo for an equally modded sti (or modding a sti to get to where your evo is at) would be a lateral move imho.

28. bubba_crx

bubba_crx Well-Known Member

The reason why i bought my subaru was for a nice year round dd (so my crx doesnt get all rusty), that's fun in the winter, can be modded easily and be reliable (i've seen some of the abuse these things can take and have nothing going wrong).. Also, i've always loved rally and always loved subarus, especially the gc body style (I remember seeing a 2.5rs coupe growing up in town, so sexy), and I absolutely dispise mitsubishis... everyone in hs rocked dsms, and they were always breaking down..

29. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

I see so many posts about how great the Subaru community is and to tell you the truth, I personally think the Mitsu community is just waaay more laid back. Every car community has it's ricers and what not and I would say that Mitsu enthusiasts probably have the fewest, especially us DSMers.

Thats just my opinion...

30. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

WRC subarus inspired me ever since i got into the sport. Then the infamous boxer rubblez always pumped me whenever i would hear that orgasmic- sexy- lion roar- chopper sound i got this grin that never went away todate thus owning one.

31. jdm4you

jdm4you New Member

I drive a subie cuz of the awd, the power, boxer rumble, and I think there one of the sexyest cars on the road! Plus the people that own them are pretty kick a$$!!!

32. bubba_crx

bubba_crx Well-Known Member

That's weird.. bout 90% of the dsmers i've ever seen round here rice hard... most are ghetto modded (mbc, and sometimes maybe an afc to compensate), and exhaust....

33. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

cause it works...

34. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

honestly, i have my subaru cause i couldnt find a Civic RT4WD Wagon for as cheap as i could find my legacy. But i am happy to be a subaru owner now as well as a honda owner.

35. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's easy until you actually try to do it. On pump gas, and it lasts for years.

Subarus have been in the family for two decades. Their interchageability and parts availability makes them a no-brainer. We all break parts, and finding replacements for a Subaru is a lot easier.

36. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

This was probably the biggest reason for me. I also didn't like that it had a smaller engine and was running a lot more boost to make up for it. I liked the symmetrical drive train on the subaru too. I later learned that both of these were pretty much irrelevant, but that was my thinking at the time.

I didn't experience this problem, but I've heard getting a test drive in an evo is difficult.

They're still so similar to me that I just tell people to get the one that they think looks better.

37. Ninjaplease!

Ninjaplease! Well-Known Member

I bought my Subaru because of the price. I couldnt justify spending as that much for an Evo.

38. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Probably because I saw that Subaru does rally. I know that they know how to engineer a car if it can withstand that... that and the one Mitsu I owned (GSX) blew up for no apparent reason going down the highway on the way to school. Nothing quite like standing outside on the only -30 day I remember since moving here because there is smoke in the cabin. This will convince you real quick not to buy another Mitsu.

39. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I drive a Subaru because my ex-wife said I couldn't have a 350Z.

40. carl

carl Well-Known Member

for the lulz

41. mrrhode04

mrrhode04 Well-Known Member

I choose my STI because I wanted a year round DD, before I decided that I looked at S2K, 350Z, G35, IS300. In the the end I like the STI over the EVO because I went to test drive the EVO and the sales guy was jerking me around beause I am 23. I told him I am approved for the loan through my credit union and I have $10,000 to put down and I own a house. The sales guy still was jerking my around so I got up and walked out. When I went to look at a STI, I talked with the sales guy for a couple minutes and he looked at me and said you want to go for a drive? I didn't feel like I was being judged at Subaru. Plus it is a great car.

42. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

I have only lived here for about a year and have noticed the mitsu members i have meet to be nice and laid really back. HOWEVER, I have lived in Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, and SF area. everyone one of those areas I could not stand that EVO kids... especailly Chicago, living right down the street from AMS didnt help with all the rich kids taking their Daddys money over there to make 600Whp before they were even 17

43. putz

putz Well-Known Member

20g + e85 (winter e-70) + 1150cc injectors + txs tmix + TGV DELETES + 255 fp + full exhaust + tuned on stock ecu = 398 awhp on a conservitive tune 2.5l 06 wrx....

I didn't think it was that hard. If I can do it any one can.

My tranny is fine, but I drive like a granny day to day.

44. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

because now that i own a WRX i am a professional rally driver and as cool as paul walker.

oh, wait. because in 2002 my roommate/cousin's girlfriend picked up a 2.5RS. we drove 14 hours to pick the car up. i fell in love with the car/brand that day. i have waited 7 years, and finally i got my WRX.

45. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

For anyone interested, I saw an 02-03 WRX in wrb here in the Green Bay/Appleton area during my travels for <10k.