Why volunteer at Ojibwe Forest Rally?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ScandiaWRX, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

1. Arrive Thursday and banner practice stage, run it backwards to start when done and meet Travis and Christian at starting line.
    2. Christian, sitting in $200,000 rally car says he likes your gold powder coated stock rims.
    3. Banner both Friday and Saturday stages and get copy of Main Route books for each day.
    4. Work 4 stage Finish Time Controls and drive length of stages ahead of Advance 1.
    5. Sit in camp chair next to timing light on 4 foot embankment about 6 feet from inside turn of Stage 9 Finish. (Wonder what "Spectators" are doing for fun.)
    6. Hear stories of incidents that happened on stage from co-drivers at the finish time control, passenger window to passenger window.
    7. Bring turqouis Subaru bumper, with Maryland license plate still attached, back from finish of stage 16 to rally head quarters to return to owner. I really wanted to bring it to the banquet and do a, "Would the owner of Maryland license plate # MBR JR4 please report to the front, we have your bumper." over the public address, but they saw me carrying it across the parking lot.

Have too many stories to tell in one posting? Priceless!

If you are thinking of volunteering at Lake Superior Pro Rally, do it. You will have a more stories of fun than you'll know what to do with.

How close was I to the cars? See the timing light on the right at the base of the tree? I'm to the right of the tree and can lean out of my camp chair and look over the side of the embankment.

2. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Now a subaru picture from finish of stage 9.

3. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

working the rally was a blast even though i only did it on fri. it was great it was just Kelly and me on a corner marshaling, and random photographers would come and snap pics. we had one photographer hang out with us all night from about 6 to 11. Ronnie from texas, the guy was hilarious. Kelly has a ton of pics from the evening, but he said he probably won't have them up for awhile since he won't have good internet access for awhile.

next year i will definitely be working there again but next time for the whole weekend:biggrin:

4. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I'm really glad you enjoyed it Amy. A lot of people seem to think that working the event isn't fun, but I know (like you do now) that it's infinately more fun being part of the event than it is just watching it. Sounds like you were willing to (and therefore got to) do a lot of stuff.

I really miss being there this year and last. The White Earth forest is one of my favorite places to be on this earth (where the Sat. stages run).

If you (or anyone else here) heads to LSPR, make sure to come to "The Library" after the awards dinner on Saturday evening. You can hang out until 3am drinking (or not, designated drivers are handy, even though it's staggering distance form HQ and the Super 8) and listening to (or telling) rally stories. Some of which may even be true.

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ya, I think I have about 325 pics to go through. I will hopefully have a couple of them up tonight.

Russ

6. 06WRXss

06WRXss New Member

This year I went as a spectator, but it looks like volunteering is much more fun.

I have a few to post too. How do you post camera video clips?

7. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

Volunteering is great! You get to play fun games like throw rocks at signs or the marshal olympics (sorry ryan, you missed it). If the turbo arrives today I should be heading home on wednesday so I can post pics then. We'll probably have to start a thread in the photo's section. I'm glad I got to hang out with all you crazy people and I'm looking forward to lspr :)

8. Cole

Cole New Member

Working is definetly where it's at. I've never spectated, but it can't be anywhere near as enjoyable!

9. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

you mean i missed the marshall olympics:laugh: that sucks, if i would've known that i had a place to crash on sat i probably would've worked again. there's always next year though:biggrin:

10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I think next year if we can get enough people we should just have a mnsubaru stage.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.