**Wild 08-09 thread**

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by badbennyb, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Treylizardo

Treylizardo Active Member

Back picks are the result of bad scouting. Detroit has had the "worst" draft picks for the past 12-14 years, and they've turned out some of the best players in the NHL from the middle rounds.

There's no clear plan on how they want to build a team. You can maybe put together a team that can grind out a Cup-winning season, but you can't sustain success by not controlling the puck (New Jersey doesn't count because they have an all-time great goaltender). Watching the Wild play is like watching paint dry.

You can't be a championship-caliber team when you think signing Chris Simon at the deadline is a good move.

2. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

We're "rebuilding"...just like every other year ;)

3. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

It's do or die now...and even if we "do" there's still a chance we won't be in the playoffs :(

I'm glad I picked up tickets to tonights game a long time ago, I had a feeling this would be a big game!

4. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the Wild's season to be over. Squeezing into the playoff's would be the worst thing they could do for DR's image right now. Tank the rest of the games and see what happens in the off season. :)

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I hope that they mail it in. I don't want to spend $600 for playoff tickets to watch them lose in 4. Start Harding, let him showcase his mad tight skillz and then trade him at the draft. We need players, and being a 1 and done is not going to help us. It will help fill CL's pockets, but that is about it.

Russ

6. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I agree...but it's hard for me to not want them to win. So, I'd be happy if we at least played hard and still didn't make it into the playoffs. It's not like we'd last longer than 5 games anyway!

EDIT: Totally agree with playing Harding! I mean, last game they were talking about how Backs was hurting a little (probably fatigue) and they were debating starting him. Let him rest!

7. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

How is Burrows going to pull Butch's hair tonight when he tries to fight him?!?

8. Hallywood

9. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Even is butch was playing, he would be same. Butch is bald, no hair to pull.

Russ

10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

And now that I read the cunucks thread, I know why they sell their beer is sippy cups. People are saying that Burns is going to get the only wild goal tonight.:ugh:

Russ

11. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Well, it's official. Every Wild game I went to this season...we've lost :(

However, I was on the JumboTron in OT!!!!!

12. wall of tvs

Wow, for every poor guy like yourself, there's somebody like my wife. She was 5-0-0 this season at home games and has yet to witness a loss in person EVER. lol.

I'm 5-1-0 this season and have 1 game left.

I'm thinking I should tell my friend whom I'm going to bring to the game that he's been demoted and that I'm bringing the wife. :laugh:

13. wall of tvs

Seriously, though.....man I wish I could've gone to the game last night. It was one of the best ones I've watched all season (even though we ended up losing in OT).

Normally I wouldn't feel bad after a loss like that one but with how important every remaining game is, it's hard to feel good about any night where we don't get 2 pts.

14. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

It didn't help that I was sitting next to Canucks fans :(

15. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I don't know what my record is.... It is pretty much the wild home record plus the 2 losses in the canada swing at the end of Feb.

Great game to be at tho. It was definitely a playoff style game. Lots of jabs, face washes, 2 handed slashes, and general dirty play after pretty much every whistle. freaky twin 33 had a nice 2 handed spear to the midsection of Clutterbuck after the whistle. I was more entertained by the after whistle stuff than anything else. Like when Skoula jabbed freaky twin 22's stick into the air and it goes sailing across the ice. Good times.

Russ

16. wall of tvs

Russ, you no longer need to refer to the freaky twins by their numbers. Now it's simply freaky twin & freaky toothless twin.

:laugh:

17. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

Anyone going to the game tonite??

18. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Yep, I will be there to get my detective kit.:laugh: I think they are giving those out to help the paying people find the offense.

Russ

19. Hallywood

In Detroit today at 11:30am, on NBC-HD :)

20. Treylizardo

Treylizardo Active Member

Are the Wild planning on winning a faceoff this afternoon?

21. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

^^^ LOL! First three faceoffs of the second period were all lost by Koivu in a matter of 30 seconds!

22. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

BUMP!!!!!!! Goal for MaryAnne!

2-2 with 1:03 to play!

23. wall of tvs

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

24. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

It looks like if we can win Friday and Saturday, we will end up with 89 pts. We need either Anaheim or St. Louis (or both) to lose the rest of their games so they stay at 89 pts. Also, we need for Nashville lose out...but if they picked up 2 pts (as long as it's not against us) things would still be okay because that would put them in a tie with St. Louis and Anaheim at 88 pts.

It could happen!

25. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

If anyone who depends on their pocket schedule or magnet schedule for time of games, and what TV station they're going to be on (like me :)) I'm sure you noticed tonights game was not scheduled to be televised. Well tonights game will be televised on 45.

...that is if anyone cares anymore :(

26. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

i have stayed out of this thread just because i'm not a huge Wild fan, growing up in Columbus it was hard. it took us just shy of a decade but the blue jackets locked their spot on Wed. hope the wild can sneak in there too

27. wall of tvs

Heh, the BJ's. I always chuckle over that one. :p

28. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

8-4 omg wtf

29. wall of tvs

too little, too late.....

STL won tonight and the dirty ducks are leading 2-1 with 7:00 left in the game. :(

30. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

Yep too late, Blues and Ducks clinched.

Now I just have to hope the Sharks don't let me down again, invisible Joe needs to actually show up and play this year.

31. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

:emo:Sad the season is over but it was a real fun game to watch. And Russ I brought my wife down to your seats before the game and she loved them but had the feeling a puck is gonna kill her.:laugh:

32. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

It was a fun last game to be at. With the exceptions of a few stretches the wild played pretty hard and the atmosphere definitely had a playoff feel.
    2 open net goals = haha
    I'm actually surprised that nashville didn't get more chippy after it was 4-1.

33. wall of tvs

And it's done. :(

Lemaire is gone as well. :(

Who's everyone rootin' for in the playoffs?

34. Goalie

Is that a bad thing tho? I mean seriously, the Wild had the most boring brand of hockey under Lemaire. In my opinion he's probably one of the most over rated coaches out there, he hasn't done anything since he won that cup a long time ago and that team was loaded with talent.

35. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

See, and I think the JL was the best thing to happen to us. I think that JL is polishing the turd of a team that DR has given us. Now that JL is gone, we will be able to see the real stink of a team.

Foe me, I am rooting on the Flames. I hate the flames because they are good and we can't beat them. Vancouver is just a hate because they are a bunch of thugs. But going to Calgary, talking with their fans, they are like us, just north of the border. They have a super sweet bar (Flames Central FTW), and a incredible fan base.

Russ

36. Goalie

I guess I don't completely disagree with Russ, if it wasn't for JL's snore fest system things could be worse. DR needs to get fired and the roster needs changes, like people that can score would be a good addition. Buttercup is the only entertaining player on that team, every one else just seems pretty average.

It's going to be a Sharks and Bruins final. Go Sharks!

37. wall of tvs

Agreed on both points.

My 4 teams will be the Flames, Sharks, Capitals & the Rangers (just because it's pretty hillarious to watch Avery).

I'll definitely be rooting against the 'Nucks & the Penguins. :laugh:

38. wall of tvs

Yup, that boring trap style of 1-2-2 hockey is a real snooze fest in Boston. :hsugh:

Perhaps if we didn't have such a weak offensive roster every stinkin' year, things would be a bit more exciting for the casual fan.

39. D-Man14

D-Man14 New Member

all good reasons to watch college hockey...
    also drunk college chicks at the game...
    cant go wrong with that

40. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Agreed. JL was messing with the lines so much that the players didn't have time to learn to play with one another. Also, at times, it seemed like the players would be punished if they pushed too hard offensively.

It will be interesting to see who they pick. They are going to have to pick someone soon because they draft is coming up in June!

41. Goalie

Boston has tons of talented guys that make it fun to watch. The Wild on the other hand :ugh:

42. wall of tvs

That's exactly my point. :)

You can't Blame JL for everything. He didn't get to pick the players. ;)

43. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

We must have been watching completely different games. Punished for playing offensively?? You must mean offensively, like, I am offended by that bad play. IF the players played well, and got chances, they got more ice time. When butch couldn't hit the glass at the end of the rink, he wa on the bench.

Like Tom stated, not JL's fault. That is 100% DR's deal. JL can only polish the turd of a team that DR has given him.

There have been some VERY interesting things to come out the past couple of days.

Such as a Vet told off JL. Who would that be?? Belanger?? Butch?? Can't really come up with anyone else that would be considered a vet and yell at the coach.

DR had no idea that JL was just up and quitting Saturday night. So really, how out of touch with the team is DR?? Is this JL's final jab at DR for not bringing him the tools that DR *MIGHT* have told him would be on the team this season.

Looks like there was a lot of tension on the team this season that wasn't brought out to the general public. This could be a interesting off season. and if you think that JL is a boring trap team, wait until DR waits until the last second and then pukes out the excuse that the only coach we could get is Kevin Constatine. You think we have a mind numbing game with JL, watch a Aero's game once.

Russ

44. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I'm just sayin' there were games that it looked like the players wanted to take the chances that they got, but instead resorted to playing the predominantly deffensive game that JL coaches. There wasn't a whole lot of risk taking in the offensive zone. IMO, it seemed like the players wanted to play a different style of game than JL wanted to coach. I don't mean they were actually punished...

45. wall of tvs

When you have players who only have the ability to score 2 goals a game on average, you don't have much room for taking chances.

Look at the last Red Wings game in the final minute.....2 forwards were cought down low, Zidlicky pinches at quite possibly the dumbest time ever and all of a sudden we give up a goal (to lose the season, lol) on a 2on1 the other way. Boh.