will the cops help with door dings?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by freeze2104, Jul 18, 2013.

1. freeze2104

freeze2104 Well-Known Member

I was standing in line at a checkout and I was watching my car from inside. A lady with a big truck decided to open her door with her foot and slam it into my rear fender right in the crease/body line of the car. I now have a dent, as I went to confront her she looked at me and drove off to quickly. I did get her license plate # but is it even worth bringing to the police? I sure as hell dont want to pay for it. The dent is about the size of a pinky nail but its very noticable since its on the crease. What do you guys think? I appologize if this is in the wrong spot.

2. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I would sure as hell report her. I don't know if anything will come of it, but it is sure worth a shot.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I would absolutely contact the police, especially since you got the license plate number. If they can't help, I would still contact her and/or your insurance company.

People that door ding cars piss me off and I always try to catch them in the act!

tehfuzz and ofspunk7 like this.
  4. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I agree with those that have spoken the good word of an anti-door ding world.

5. thakrazymule

thakrazymule Active Member

Not much of a difference between backing into a car, or door dingin it and leaving. Either one is a hit and run in my book.

6. horizon_chaser

horizon_chaser Well-Known Member

I wish I saw who did the dent on my fender last week. I would definitely report him or her to the cop and make them pay for it. Why would you have to pay for some careless driver's fault? Could have save the money toward performance :mad:

7. capslo

capslo Member

You can file a report with the police and call your insurance company to file a claim.

8. freeze2104

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys! I'll call them up and see what they say.

9. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation about a year back, where I was sitting in Champps in New Brighton, and I watched a lady do the exact same thing with her Ford Windstar. I got up from the table and went outside to confront her/get her plate number, but by the time I got out she was almost out of the lot. Not a huge in size ding, but definitely noticeable. I'd agree that filing a complaint is a good idea. It may be worth looking into if the place you were had surveillance cameras in their lot. Good luck!

ofspunk7 likes this.
  10. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

google the plates and find her home nomsayin

11. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

^lawl, I know what you're saying, high five.

Subie Lovers likes this.
  12. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

It would be nice to see someone get caught...my wife's new car (picked it up in Jan or Feb) has 4 door dings already, grrr.

13. freeze2104

She was maybe 25-30 and once she put all the crap in her car she pulled the door to close it, looked at my car and made the face like O SH** and then said peace! I wish I was hulk status so I could have just stood in front of her ram 3500 or whatever truck lol

14. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

I know you're not suppose to hit women, but in this case I think you could have and it would've been OK by God. I hate door dings!!!

15. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

Since I am a police officer, let me assure you that calling the police will be a complete waste of your time. A door ding is not a criminal act unless it is intentional, and someone who door dings you has no legal obligation to stay at the scene or even leave you any information.

I feel your pain, and my hatred for parking lots runs deep ..... but the police do not have a "door ding task force", nor will they track down a dastardly door dinger even if you have the license plate info. They simply have no legal basis to do so since no crime has been committed.

Nhibbs likes this.
  16. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

At first I was thinking small claims court, but it would be interesting to see what the insurance has to say about going after the lady based on her plate?

17. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

What you are saying makes sense, however I also feel it is slightly flawed as well. You said if the door ding was intentional it would be a criminal act, which I would agree with, however what about a traffic offense? Now I understand most of these door dings are happening in private parking lots, so that may exclude them, but the point I am trying to make is that me running into someones car in a parking lot and ripping their bumper is of course an unintentional act.But would I not be required to stop or otherwise face "leaving the scene of an accident"? Furthermore, why wouldn't a door ding fall into the same category? very early and no coffee yet, so I hope this makes sense

Medic_538 and ofspunk7 like this.
  18. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

Would keying someone's car be considered a criminal act then?

Tash likes this.
  19. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

:unsure: uh, yeah......

20. tehfuzz

Door dings suck though... most of them when i had them on my older vehicles the other car would always be gone when it happened. Not really a whole lot you can do about it unless you see the person that did it and believe in the dent for a dent policy. I am not condoning any criminal activity. Just sayin

21. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

What is your definition of destruction of property?

horizon_chaser, tehfuzz and Jerf like this.
  22. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I think the police should be cross-trained in paintless dent repair...the municipality could make more money.

Thomas84 likes this.
  23. horizon_chaser

Don't matter if it's intentional or non-intentional, the door dinger NEEDS to pay for his or her own mistake and learn from it, not to do it again. Is that what we do when we have a car accident?

Medic_538 likes this.
  24. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Exactly, something tells me someone is not a cop...they are called accidents for a reason.

25. Medic_538

We all realize that this is not a life threatening incident. We also realize that when it is done with no one seeing it, it is at our expense.

When I see someone damage my property, I know I have the right, and in my opinion, responsibility to ensure that this person pay's or put's it back to it's original condition prior to when they decided for whatever reason to pull a dick move. I could care less if it is disrupting to the "door ding task force".

He may be? Minnesota is an odd state, for most incident's the damage has to be over a certain amount before law enforcement will write an accident report. The best thing they can do is contact the driver and have them exchange insurance information. The worst they can do, is what he posted.

26. horizon_chaser

I don't think anyone in here is trying to file a criminal charge against a door dinger. We are just asking for the cop the help us make the door dingers pay for their own mistakes, so next time they will be more careful. If you let them loose, they will feel invincible by the law and ding left to right wherever they go. Mistakes and accidents do happen and we understand that, but still you have to pay for your own mistakes and be more responsible.

Medic_538 likes this.
  27. freeze2104

Well, they cant/wont do anything. Probably dont want to waste their time so it's whatever at this point. Luckily my buddy owns a shop that can fix it for cheap. He said since no paint was missing that he could pull it and smooth it out for probably $50. Man, not even 3 days after getting it detaled..

28. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

As dumb as it sounds I would list it more under the can't category. The problem is proof, other then you seeing it, can you prove she did it....I know hearing this is infuriating. the gf had an incident like this where someone decided they didn't need to clean the large buildup of snow/ice off their trailer,l. long story short the wrx got a busted hood and headlight, driver refused to pull over, she called it in, followed him to his residence, police came, driver denied damage came from his truck and denied she tried to tell him to pull over....cops said its her problem because its just a he said she said and no proof was had that the damage came from him.

29. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

Believe what you want .. I'm just trying to save the OP from wasting his time looking to the police for help in a matter they cannot and likely will not help him with. I'll answer a few of the questions asked though.

Accidents are not criminal acts, and in fact, unless there is an injury you do not even need to call the police if you are in one and the damage is minor ... simply exchange information. Of course, if you leave the scene of an accident without doing this, it is a hit and run which is a crime ... but a door ding does not fall under that. The reason it does not apply is because the person was not operating the vehicle when the damage was caused. You mentioned hitting someone in a parking lot and causing damage .. again, that is different because you are operating a motor vehicle at the time the damage was caused.

If someone keys your car, it is damage to property ... because they intended to do damage to your car. But we are not talking about someone intentionally damaging a car here ... we are talking about a person's door accidentally striking another car when they opened it, causing minor paint damage.

Basically, think of a door ding the same as a rock chip .... we are not tracking down what car threw a rock into your windshield and cracked it so they can face justice.

Let me be clear, I'm not defending door dingers ... I hate them and park out in no-mans land in every parking lot because of them, but you really have no recourse other than small claims civil court ... which the police will have no part of. If you think I'm full of crap, then go to the police station with your license plate info of the door dinger and see what happens with it ... which will be absolutely nothing.

30. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

So this only works against citizens then? You can get a dui/DWI while not driving or even while the keys are not even in the ignition. But a door ding doesnt happen operating a vehicle?
    How do you know the car wasn't still running when she opened the door, thus operating a vehicle.
    He said she opened the door with her foot IIRC, which I would call intentional

31. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I find validity in what he is saying, but I agree, I still feel like there is something to be done.

32. Medic_538

I'm sorry the OP has to deal with this. It has happened or will happen to all of us. I for one, hope the heifer get's what is coming to her. It is common sense to ensure you allow enough space between the next car and yours and you open it carefully to avoid damaging your car and the other. BUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT............. Common Sense isn't so common anymore!

tehfuzz likes this.
  33. tehfuzz

+1 to common sense not being so common anymore.

I don't like to wish bad things on people, but I am a firm believer in karma. I also understand that you're not going to be taking every call and investigating it because some people out there like to jump the gun / cry wolf / blow things out of proportion too.

However it really boils a persons blood when they work hard for something they've always wanted / worked for, and some d*ckhead dents your door or keys your car walking away as if nothing happened. I don't think people would do half the things if the eye for an eye method was still around.

34. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I don't know if I believe the "eye for an eye" idea, that claims I'm going to do what you did to me, it doesn't cover me from going above that. I prefer an eye for being a paraplegic, cuz if you hit my car in any way and I believe it to be on purpose, as stated you have to prove that the damage done was intentional.

tehfuzz likes this.
  35. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

Well I don't know what else to say about it really, the rock chip is the best thing I can think of to compare it too. Unintentional damaging of a car is not a criminal act, it's just the way the law is written. 99% of the time, unintentional damage to property is a civil matter between you and the dummy.

I understand the confusion, but you need to keep in mind that there is alot of property damage that is simply not criminal. In order for property damage to become criminal, it has to either be intentional, or caused as a direct result of another crime .. otherwise it is a civil matter. So the only door ding that would be criminal is if I used my car door to intentionally damage your car. And even if that were the case, as you mentioned earlier, you have to prove my intent. For your typical door ding, the one and only recourse would be civil court. To win there, you would most likely need video evidence of the door ding happening.

Unfortunately, our criminal justice system is designed to protect the criminal, not the victim. I agree it's BS that these turds can run around being a-holes and nothing happens to them, but it's just the way it is. Heck, I've seen career criminals plea guilty to armed robbery which was recorded on video, and not get a day of jail time and be sentenced to probation.

Medic_538 likes this.
  36. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Moral to story, be an a-hole back to them when caught in the act, and claim unintentional or it wasn't you. Only way to get caught is on camera or if they confess they hit yours and you retaliated. Even then you can still claim it wasn't you.....
    Our judicial system rules! (Sarcasm)

Ntxhuav_Khang and tehfuzz like this.
  37. JACKRBT

JACKRBT Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion and I'm grateful for having an officer's feedback here since this is something I've always been curious about too. I do have a hard time with the rock chip analogy because that is totally unpreventable. A door ding is preventable and results from negligence. I understand the problem of proving intent but why isn't opening a door considered operating the vehicle? A motor vehicle has many facets of operation. Operating the radio. Idling the engine. Operating the cigarette lighter. Opening a door? Some of which, if done improperly (i.e. with negligence), could cause death, injury, property damage, or violate some ordnance. What defines "in operation" according to the law? If the engine is running and the transmission is out of Park/Neutral/e-brake disengaged? Some parts/systems of modern cars continue operating even after you've parked in your garage and gone to bed. I'm honestly not trying to be a smart-alec, I'm genuinely curious on the matter.

38. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

Operation is the act of sitting in the driver's seat and actually operating the vehicle. That means you are in control of the vehicle, and it is in motion (motor can be running or not). There are instances where you can still be charged with DUI however when the car is not in operation ... this is called "direct control". This would be used where a guy is drunk and found passed out in his running car in a parking lot or something. He wasn't driving, but was in direct control of the vehicle. Not that common to see them actually charged out ... but it does happen.

I know what your thinking ... "what if I drive by someone and open my door while passing and door ding them .. " in that case yes, it is a motor vehicle accident and if you leave it would be a hit and run. :p

As for your question about why it's not criminal, well you kind of answered that yourself. It's about negligence and incompetence. If I am an idiot and leave my WRX in neutral with no parking brake, and it then rolls out of my driveway and smacks your parked car it is not criminal ... it's a civil matter between us. If I am a douche and refuse to pay for your damage, then you sue me for the damages. To complicate matters, in that situation it could be a motor vehicle accident if you were driving your car when my car rolled into yours .. but it still would not be criminal.

In order for property crimes to be criminal, I have to act with the intent to deprive you of the use or possession of the property, or the intent to damage it. If I am just an idiot, and my incompetence causes damage to your property ... it's a civil matter between us and you can sue me if we cannot resolve it.

The bottom line is that damage as a result of negligence, incompetence, or plain old stupidity is simply not criminal .. it is civil. That means you sue the person for damages, and the police will typically not get involved. I know some of you are not happy with that, but if the police got involved in every property dispute it is all they would do. You would have people wanting neighbors arrested for their lawnmower throwing a rock into their siding and cracking it, trees falling on cars, dogs peeing on grass and killing it, and everything else you can imagine. And I'm not exaggerating, I've responded to some of the most petty and ridiculous things you can think of.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  39. mn63

mn63 Member

The best part is when you show up and the RP has a copy of some obscure city code in hand, they act like they just solved the crime of the century. Then you teach them how the insignificant words of "OR", along with "AND" can completely change the meaning.

But back on topic. He's right, its a civil thing. Depending on the police department they may or may not take a report. Some PD's are more "Customer service orientated" then others and it will have to be done with the city the incident took place in. If it didn't happen in the town you live in, please don't call your department up and tell them about how it happened in another city several days ago.

I don't have much to add that has not already been said except for trying to compare ANY other crime to a DWI is like trying to compare a WRX with a Kenworth. DWI laws are their own beast and always changing. In fact when someone gets arrested for DWI (Criminal) their drivers license becomes suspended (Civil)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013