Will this engine work in my wrx?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Silky21L, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

Some time ago I picked up an ej25 from some hooligan on CL. He stated it was out of a Legacy GT. Its dohc, avcs, and a plastic intake mani. Its going into a 2006 wrx. My plan was to use the intake mani/tgv's, fuel lines, and wire harness off the (previous owner swaped) ej257 that came out of the car. Its mainly the harness I'm concerned about fitting on this new long block. Is this long block a direct swap with no complications? I can try to figure out exactly what motor I bought if need be.

Back story: 06 wrx was bought not running with a heavily built 257 and parts missing. Car was for my brother who wanted something clean and close to stock. Sold heads and block of that 257, and purchased an EJ off Craigslist that supposedly had 50k miles and needed a rod bearing. Let it sit for half a year before I got back on that project. Leakdown test showed it would need a hell of a lot more than rod bearings. Valves were leaking terribly. Crank is junk because it was ran so long with a bad bearing that it wore a decent bit of metal off the rod journal. I cant imagine what that sounded like when it was running! Heads are with Dave getting machined currently, and I randomly just started stressing that it might not even be worth the trouble rebuilding this motor. Who even knows if its a turbo motor!

Thanks for the help MNsubaru.

2. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Edit: deleted my rant to just answer the question.

The long block should be the same I think lgt only ran intake avcs which is the same as wrx pre 2008. Assuming you use the wrx harness, it should work fine.

Optionally, you could slap the wrx heads onto the short block but at that point I personally put bearings in the used block you get, as you never really know it's history.. If the crank from the block in the wrx wasn't junk I would say just rebuild it. :p

BTW, My only regret on that Outback was not doing the bearings while it was out.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    tangledupinblu likes this.