Window tint from factory??

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by KSAL, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

This is probably a really dumb ?, but for some reason i thought that the you could get the window's tinted right from the factory. Is that right or am i just an idiot??

2. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

no, it was just a good line you told the cop! :)

3. shineynitelite

shineynitelite Well-Known Member

if you need some quick cash for your tickets i'l take your black rims lol

4. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Idiot? If I were you I'd ditch the wing and the tint. If your exhaust is loud throw on a few resonators.... cops wont harass you as much.

5. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

To answer your question, I dont think you can. When I purchased my car I never had the option to get tinted windows from the factory.

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

alot of truck glass comes tinted, bajas rear glasses and back door glasses came tinted

7. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

If it is classifed as a passenger vehicle which all Imprezas and Legacys are they do not tint them...Classifed as Luxury cars,trucks, SUV, Light Duty Trucks can have tint...The new Outbacks with 8.4-8.7 ground clearance are considered light duty trucks because of the height and they have a greenish tint to the windows...Depends on classification determines the tint from the factory

8. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Almost all car windows technically have tint...usually just to filter the UV rays. Some manufacturers choose to call that 'tinted windows'. I am pretty sure Subarus have this "feature". Now there are other specs that you would typically see on the rear side window of an extended cab pickup and that is typically quite dark (relatively). As for window tint "film", no, that is not a factory option on anything I am aware of....

9. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Luxury cars are still held to the "car" classification. It is legal to tint any vehicle as long as it passes the light transmission spec (70% on front side windows of every vehicle, and all windows of a car, none on the winshield in MN)

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Nathan...Bill...either of you guys getting any warnings or tickets for your windshields!?

11. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Let me rephrase what I said to make it clearer...For Subaru's, if it is classifed as a passenger vehicle (Impreza/Legacy/Forester) The factory does not tint them, just puts a UV protectant...But u still can aftermarket tint it up to 50% last I heard...

As for the Outback, B9 Tribeca, Baja...They are classiefed as a light duty truck and SUV and Subaru has tinted them from the factory...

No all manufacturer follow the same practice...But this is Subaru's standard for Tinting from the factory.

12. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

nope... even when I got pulled over.. but i aint a little smart arse to the cops.. I am the total opposite, act dumb, sincere and super polite... I have one advantage too... Mine has business graphics over it so I may get more un-noticed due to this...

13. tangledupinblu

Yeah, i'm pretty sure I will follow suit and tint the windshield also...looks really good IMO. But I will realise that it may provoke future pull-overs from police and understand that it is a risk I'm willing to take...you know, like driving with no front plate....hehehe...j/k ksal.

Btw, that is a sweet sig. Nathan...lmao!

14. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

Almost correct. 50% is the limit for all passenger car windows.

15. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

YEAH!! Now i have gotten over my no front plate strike. I'm just going to cut my plate a little and mount it down over one of the fog light covers. That way its not in the middle blocking the FMIC or my K-40. I think it is an ok comprimise! PLus after this ticket i will be up to $330 that i have paid for not having that plate on!! :mad:

16. carl

carl Well-Known Member

wrong bolt pattern if you're talking about off his 05

17. Mar48

Mar48 Well-Known Member

you should just quickly go get a prescription from your eye doctor!

18. tangledupinblu

OUCH!!! Yeah, that sounds like a decent compromise...it might throw the cops off though...used to seeing it in the middle of the front! They might actually have to look for it!:eek3:

19. Mar48

Mar48 Well-Known Member

yea i have also gotten the front license plate ticket (although mine was on my dashboard)... it sucks

20. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

Good make them have to do a little work! j/k LOL

21. shineynitelite

shineynitelite Well-Known Member

damn 05s

22. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Oops, yep.

...and I have a strip on the windshield of the RS (applied in fall '99) without issues. Just trying to make sure people were clear it is illegal, regardless of peoples experiences....

23. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

The reason I pointed it out is that if you tint with 50%, you will not pass the laser test. The 'tint' (or 'UV block') is not 100% transparent and typically blocks 10-20% of the light transmisson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.