Window Tinting

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by minnesotanice, May 13, 2020.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Does anyone have photos with 50% tint? I am wondering how much of a difference it makes and I don't want to go darker to avoid trouble. I tried looking online but there is minimal objective review, mostly hotboi "u can still see thru, this sux" reviews.

If any of you have 50%, was it worth it to decrease glare and heat? Is it any different than just wearing sunglasses everywhere as I do now?

Thanks!

2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I have 15% on the front doors, and 7% everywhere else. Been that way for 6 years, and I haven't been stopped because of it.

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Is 50% the max legal in Minnesota? If so, that is what my car has - done by Luther Auto Performance Studio in Hopkins. I didn't do it because I was seeking anonymity, but rather hoping to save my interior from damage.

2E5A89AF-F0DD-4965-971C-B041D2F5EEA2.jpeg

4. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

This was my old company car with 50% on the front doors and 35% in the rear (legal limits for WI). My own cars are 35% all around and it's a noticeable difference between the two but 50% definitely still helped. My eyes suck and I usually wear sunglasses even on overcast days, but having a little extra protection on the sides from the 50% made driving a lot more tolerable.
    Screenshot_20200513-141123_Gallery.jpg

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

50 on the windshield is my goal because I struggle with the same. Usually wear sunglasses...even at night. Hahaha

6. minnesotanice

Thanks everyone! Definitely helped! I'll definitely take a look into it, hopefully can go darker but would like to avoid hassle if possible.

Yes, Minnesota is 50% on sides and rear, no tint or banners on the windshield. :/

I would definitely like that as well, but as above it looks like that's illegal as well, which is annoying as all of the surrounding states have much more lax laws.

If I do decide to go darker, is there shops that will install darker? Would a waiver need to be signed? I know FFE is thrown around on here in the past, but from what I've heard he seems to have gone dark, no pun intended.

7. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I've used Black Diamond in Little Canada several times. Had remote starts installed there on 2 cars and window tint on 5, always good results. I don't remember if I had to sign a waiver for any or not but there was no hassle with going over the legal limit, although maybe being from WI and using a MN shop might have had an effect on that?

8. minnesotanice

Good to know. And that's what I'm wondering. I had a friend who's car was registered in Illinois and had not problem getting tint below Minnesota limits. I'll dig deeper and probably give Black Diamond a call.

9. tangledupinblu

Meh. I will run 35% on the sides. That way the front will look lighter, lol. I just pay the fines if/when I get them. Sure beats wearing sunglasses all of the time.

10. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Little late to the thread but Chris at Flawless Front Ends is a great source not only for quality materials and labor but great accurate knowledge about the benefits of tint and laws.

In short even at 50% a quality ceramic tint will knock down the temps of the car and the feel of heat of direct sunlight.

That being said I have run 35% on front windows and 15% on everything else on my last 3 vehicles without a single issue with law enforcement.

Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if your vehicle is classified as a station wagon, you can go as dark as you want behind the B-pillars. :thumbup:

GrawvyRobber likes this.
  12. minnesotanice

Yeah, I know he is very good in one of my posts above since most people recommend him here. Is he still available for work?

13. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Yes he is. I just had him do my sportwagen.

I will DM you his number.

14. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

35% all the way around on my old car done by Chris at Flawless about 4-5 years ago. Kinda wished it was darker at the time, but it's a happy medium. Tint for the RS is on the to-do list, but I can't seem to keep the car together long enough to make it worthwhile lol

I kinda miss this car :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tangledupinblu likes this.
  15. tangledupinblu

She was a beaut Joe!

16. minnesotanice

Thanks everyone for the responses! Looks like 35% is the way to go, happy medium of form and function, which is what my build is meant to be. Should probably get around to doing a build thread after all these years...