Winter beater project

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Juks, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

[UPDATE OCT12] 20G still running strong, E85 FTW!!

I'll get an 20G E85 VD as soon as I get romraider talking to my ECU.

[​IMG]
    -02 wrx-

Engine:
    EJ257, STI rods, Mahle drop in pistons (built by Vannde)
    WRX heads w/V7 STI Spec C valvetrain (chamber relief by Fuji)
    Group N motor mounts & billet pitch stop mount
    Deadbolt TD06 20G 8cm
    TMIC from my STI
    Short ram intake w/ATP 3" MAF
    Pnp IM/TB/TGV deletes (chimera)
    Grimmspeed OEM manifold w/X-pipe (one of my subaru's needs to sound like one :D)
    Perrin old school up pipe
    GM boost control selenoid
    Turbo XS old school MBC
    APS 3" TBE
    Witchhunter modded STI pink injectors (850cc)
    Stock rails, lines & fpr
    Walbro 255
    AOS
    OEM block heater

Drivetrain:
    V8 JDM 6MT
    Spider DCCD controller
    ACT HD street disc clutch
    ACT street light flywheel
    STI driveshaft
    3.90 R180 rear diff
    Group N tranny mount
    Kartboy & TIC bushings
    Kartboy shifter
    STI axles F/R
    STI hubs/knuckles F/R
    Brembo's F/R
    Silver BBS's F/R w/blizzak LM60's :devil: (favorite mod)
    Whiteline ALK
    Whiteline 24mm sway up front w/whiteline end links (rear to go in spring or so, still need rear lateral links)
    STI struts rebuilt by Feal Suspension (whiteline flatout springs)
    STI lower control arms w/whiteline bushings

Couple pics from last winter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Hm...

3. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Jumped the gun a little, still a few parts on their way to my house :)

4. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

That is one hell of a winter beater, lol.

5. heel-&-toe

heel-&-toe Well-Known Member

Oh man, soooooo jealous! I plan to do the same in 2.5 years when my lease is up and I get a new car. I had always wanted a Subaru but having a new one kind of sucks as you have to be so careful not to break it, lest you pay to fix it. Next time around I'm going to do it right. One car for work (thinking Audi) and a car for fun. I'm betting an '07 STI will make a pretty great project car in 2014.

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Agreed. Looks awesome. I vote you gut it and see what 1/4 mile times you can do with a VF...

Eh...

7. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

He already has one of those cars... His summer car was burning rubber and taking names @ BIR in September. That is why the bugeye is the winter project.

Looks like fun man!

8. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you stripped this one out, I bet it would do 30R-range 1/4 mile times with a VF39 :)

9. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

We'll see what the future holds, I'll have all winter to scheme up the next steps for this thing. Maybe some day I can get a normal car to get me to work and be able to dedicate this to the 1/4 mile. Right now I'm just looking forward to embarrassing F350's in a blizzard :byebye:

mke723 likes this.
  10. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Please elaborate what you mean by "sounds like there's some interesting stuff going on for bugeye ECU's lately". I have been out of the tuning game for a little while.
    Launch control?

11. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't actually know the details, I'm not a tuner. I just overheard someone talking about some new fancy stuff going on with the 02-03 wrx ecu's. I bet if you dug around you'd find something. Maybe the nasioc tuning forum. I was reading the other day about the ability to automatically adjust your injector scalar based on E85 content sensor feedback. Not sure if there's any truth to that one. Good luck.

12. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

#firstworldproblems ... right? :D

13. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I was really hoping she'd be a lot dirtier :coffee:

14. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Got the first tank of gas through! Had some issues with the speed sensor but got that taken care of. The spider DCCD/V8 6MT seems a little tale happy :devil: but that might have just been the dunlops being useless at 25 degrees on wet pavement. Swapped the blizzaks on tonight and did another oil change. Got a nice set of headlights installed today as well, like new! Gotta say the 2.5/6MT combo makes for a lot more torque than the 2.0/5MT did on the same turbo. Can't wait to get the final tune and some snow!

15. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Your tuner suckz

16. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Yeah we should tune, you got anything going on today?

17. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I actually do, does tomorrow work?

18. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Yep sounds good, I'll give you a call. Shoot for 7 or so.

19. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

koolio

20. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Tuned! Gotta love the early torque. It's no 30R on E85, but man, this is going to be a blast in the snow! Power steer at will.

Can't wait for E85!

21. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Virtual dyno posted.

22. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Well, the VF39 finally died. Used 20G on its way.

23. Nater

Nater Member

Where did you find the used one? :D

24. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Bought it on nasioc classifieds, old school deadbolt TD06 20G 8cm.

Tuned today, virtual Dyno put us around 330 mustang/350 VD on pump 92. Should be able to get a graph up soon. I really like the JDM 6MT gearing with the 20G. Seems to make up for the lack of AVCS. Looking forward to E85!

25. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Man...that car hauls ass
    Think we should hit it up this week...muahaha

26. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

I have a set of 1000cc injectors in case we max the 850's.

27. Rexwagon

Rexwagon Well-Known Member

nice beater

28. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Coupling from the compresser to the IC was leaking. E85 tune started, should be done soon.

29. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Got it running on E85 a couple months ago now. Run it out close to 8k on a fairly regular basis, and finally tried flat foot shifting without having it tuned in. No issues at all, feels just like it does with the accessport. It's been a great week this week since I had to take a couple weeks off of work. Started with rewiring my gauges so they were hooked up to the switched 12V source, and finally got around to installing that new car stereo that's been sitting in my garage. It's been rough since the stock one crapped out a long time ago. Did the grimmspeed antenna delete while I was at it since I destroyed the stock one trying to break into my car (see switched 12V source comment above). Used the legacy pocket which worked out pretty nice (nm the fat finger):

[​IMG]

My reverse lockout quit working on me so I crawled under there and adjusted the tension, works perfect now.

Also got the itch to try this hybrid boost deal, since I've had this turbo XS manual boost controller sitting in my tool box since I bought the car and took it out how many years ago. So I hooked everything up and gave it a shot, but the only thing I could do with the damn thing is turn the boost down, no matter how many turns I gave it, I wasn't getting any more boost, or faster spool, or improved taper, or whatever else this thing is supposed to do. Honestly I didn't really know I was just bored.

Then I got to thinking, what if my BPV is leaking? I mean, it is the stock unit, and we are pushing 24 psi or so. Funny story there too...we weren't getting what we wanted while tuning, so we stopped at home depot and slapped a spring on the wastegate actuator. Got a few more psi out of that mod ;). So back to the BPV, I remembered looking at the $.16 BPV mod thread on NASIOC, and also that I had an extra stock STI BPV sitting in the garage. So what the hell, why not. Turned out to be a $32 BPV mod for me because I didn't have a tap set, but now I do :D. And I'll be damned! It works! This whole time we were struggling for boost and my damn BPV was just dumping it back into the turbo inlet :banghead: Now it's hitting somewhere in the 25-27psi range on a 4th gear pull. Hard to tell because my crappy boost gauge reads 2psi when the car is off.

Oh, and the BPV mod that turned into "rip out my intercooler and PCV fitting and fix the damn kink" mod....I was shooting oil out of my dipstick on the way to home depot! :eek: I thought that was the end (or the beginning of another build...like I haven't had enough of those). Of course Nuke suggests the simple first step of making sure the crank case is venting, and low and behold, there's a kink. Fixed it, cranked up the boost, and tried to make it happen again. So far unsuccessful...but man does it haul ass!

Digging the hybrid boost control and cheap BPV mod. Boost tapers a lot less overall and I think I know what that "rock solid boost" feel from a MBC is all about now. Anyways, now we wait for the snow so I can slap the Blizzaks back on...did I mention they were my favorite mod? :devil: I just hope this winter is better than last.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  30. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Even with the MBC you'll some natural taper with that turbo. Mine drops to about 25psi by redline when I have the peak set to 27psi.

31. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Track ready! New rallispec block and fresh heads...(and t-stat & alternator today :() Thanks for the overtime NF! Special thanks to Roger, Fuji, Ko, Nuke & everone else that got their hands dirty in the process. There's gonna be a lot of fast NF cars at MAP this year! I think the 20G/JDM 6MT will be a good autocross combo. In the meantime I need to get up to BIR to figure out the new improvements. Slowpokes on Sunday!

[​IMG]

I'll start a new thread for this thing once I get a name and some numbers (either times or dyno) figured out. After all the time and effort, it has officially outgrown it's original title.

32. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Just get the trunk? Does it latch now?

33. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

Haha, I took it off my STI so it would latch. I'm pretty sure they would want that at the track ;) Way lighter too...

34. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Just tell them its to assist on braking, I think they will let it go ;)