Wray's Auto - Looking to buy a WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Chewy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Chewy

Chewy Active Member

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here but you Subie guys are always so helpful. Looking to buy a WRX that has a motor swap. The current owner says that the previous owner blew the motor from abusing it.

Says that the swap and purchase of the 0 mileage motor was done at Wray's Auto with a guy who had 30+ years of Subie experience in MN. Using google I was able to find their website which reiterated that David Wray had over 30 years of Subie experience. Just wondering if anyone has any reviews or experience of the type of quality work Wray's Auto has done.

Also, I've read the basics on what to look when buying a WRX such as notchy/loose gears, uneven body panels, loose bolts and a sucking pressure from the oil cap (to indicate a non-oil-burning motor) etc. But if anyone has any other tips on what to look for when buying a WRX, please share.

2. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

What kind of motor is in there now? Another 2.0?

3. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

David Wray Automotive, aside from Morries Minnetonka Subaru Service, is probably the only place I'd take my Subaru to get worked on if I couldn't do the work myself. They are top notch, and have been for a long time.

4. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

The Wrays (David and Mike) are top-notch mechanics and people.

5. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I've had Mike work on previous cars that I owned and he's done top notch work. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him or his Dad. If they did the work, it was done right.

6. Chewy

Chewy Active Member

@BlackOzone, yes it was another 2.0 bought new from the dealership according to the receipts.

Awesome to hear this from you guys. I am definitely looking forward to seeing/picking up the car this weekend then.