WRX Tranny

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Bugeye386, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

but does the cryo treating they do on the RA gears do anything for thier ability to handle a bit more power? curious

2. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that RA gears are cryo treated. If that's the case, then you might as well just get a set of '04+ gears and cryo treat those.

Yes, cryo treating will help strengthen them.

3. Scuba Steve

oops, not cryo treated, but micro polished....through rallispec. sorry:eek:

Only Rallispec RA & STi gearsets feature the REM isotropic superfinishing process (micro-polish) now treated entirely in-house. ISF provides substantial benefits in terms of reducing gear tooth friction and eliminating surface imperfections (stress risers). REM ISF is used extensively at the highest levels of motorsport (F1, WRC, Nascar). Our real world testing has shown huge improvements in reliability far beyond any other surface treatment we have tested.

4. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

5. dipp

dipp Well-Known Member

thats funny, i raced a firebird with NOS (at the track)* 2 weeks ago and he was wishing he didn't. i had 3 car lengths on him in 60ft.

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

DUDE edit your post, nobody needs to know WHERE you raced the fool.

7. Scuba Steve

LOLZ....thank you

8. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

it was in an underground parking ramp durning the wee hours of the morn in Tokyo

9. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Completely and utterly true.

The 6mt has gears almost twice as wide as the 5mt, with a better tooth profile. I like it, and it shifts like butter.

PPG's are a phenominal gearset as well. Better metalurgy and a tooth profile that keeps the force more normal to the tooth throughout the mesh of the gear.

Those two are the only options, imho, for upgrades. Everything else is a waste. If you don't believe me, call Andrewtech and ask them how many broken RA, micropolished, cryoed, '06+(or whatever) trannys they get in. I really want their 6mt dog gearset, but they $10k is a little out of my budget right now:eek3:

10. Scuba Steve

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a site or resource I can use to see exactely what 6-speed trannys will work with my 2004??

11. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

All will work, its just a matter of getting the other parts to retrofit it. I can make a list if you want

12. Scuba Steve

heck ya!!!! thanks a ton.

i really would love to buy the ppg gear set, but contemplating on it since the sti swap wouldn't be much more

13. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

5mt has better gearing, throw ppgs in and it would make a perfect, near bulletproof setup.

14. Scuba Steve

true, but let's say I end up pushing 400 at the wheel. will the case hold the torque? also, the r160 will explode, won't it?

bugeye386- very sorry to take over your thread....boot me if you want.

15. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

The case has never been the weakpoint. Also ask Andrewtech about that. And the R160 may explode, but so what, they are a dime a dozen.

16. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

^ Also true. There has been a lot of debate on this topic, but its all BS.

17. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

+1. the 6spd have what a 3.70fd or a 3.90. I must insert that 4.44 is FTMFW! (4.11 is also good) My ideal setup is the V6 JDM STi 5spd 4.44FD LSD and DCCD. :drool: (maybe ppgs if the stock Ra gears break)

18. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

^true up until the 07 STI. IMO pretty decent gearing from my very limited experience.

19. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

I love the 4.44 FD in my Baja Turbo 5mt in the '02 WRX. Its held up really well to "stage 2" STI power levels but I don't drive it like a ham fisted, knuckle dragging, mouth breather.

My ratios are almost identical to a '04 USDM 6 speed which I like but I wish I had a sixth gear for highway cruising because 80 is the new 75mph. I think a 6 speed is in my future though.

20. idget

I had an 06 wrx sedan with vf39 and headerback exhaust. Protuned, it made around 260whp/305wtq.

Ran it for 10k miles that way and 17k of the 23k miles on the clock were at Cobb stage2 or above.

Ran low 13's at Rockfalls with a crappy 1.9 60ft (too much camber methinks)

2 visits to Rockfalls and 1.5 seasons of autox (over 100 runs... launched the car on pretty much every one) and no shavings in the fluid or any noticeable problems with the tranny. Clutch was holding strong too but had some throw out bearing noise at times (those were there stock too tho).

It's been said already but I think it's all in the driving. Don't bog the launch and don't shock the drivetrain. Sacrifice the clutch if you have to and rev match yr downshifts if yr downshifting into the powerband. Should hold up just fine but don't cry if it does break... pay to play or whatever.

btw, is this the person looking to buy a member's black 06 wrx? If so, that's a solid car.

21. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

^^^ what do you mean you had??? dont you still have it?

22. idget

nope. Plan on dumping 20k into the 89 civic lol.
    Actually, talking to Ray regarding a replacement

23. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

BACK ON TOPIC... for Alex's(bugeye35whateverTF)....ALEX you are worrying too much, you guys the car is basically stock, the vf39 upgrade, the kid can drive a stick, and he doesn't drag it....HE IS JUST FINE!NOW GO BUY THE DAMN CAR

24. Bugeye386

Bugeye386 Well-Known Member

haha. Thanks Will. I know ill show it to you next week...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.