WTB 2002 wrx bolt on turbo (vf39, etc...)

Discussion in 'Want To Buy : Cars/Parts' started by thomas franz, Jan 29, 2017.

1. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

The plan is to try to make high 200s or low 300s at the wheels for power. I am looking for any sti or legacy turbos that will be a direct bolt on. IE vf39, etc...

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I was making mid 200's with a td04, bigger injectors, and bigger fuel pump+tune.

I would think that if you went the route of the e85, you could probably hit 260-270?

Good luck with the hunt! I have a newly rebuilt vf48....but if i sold it I'd probably take a loss. Lol

3. thomas franz

Really? If that's the case I may put everything else on and get a tune while i turbo hunt. What psi were you running on the td04? Basically maxing it out? Haha. My td04 is super low mileage so im not that concerned about running it at its limit.

4. tangledupinblu

20 psi. It's hard on that turbo, but i ran it that way for a few years. You could probably do like 18 psi.

5. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

I have a VF39 just sitting in my trunk I could sell. It may possibly need a rebuild. I was told that the seals were going bad so I just bought a different VF39 to swap it in.

6. tangledupinblu

OP...If you can buy this one, contact Midwest Turbo Connection for a rebuild. They're in Hudson WI. and do stellar work! It's where i had my vf48 rebuilt and i had it back in just 9 days.

7. thomas franz

How much are you looking for it?

8. thomas franz

I just checked them out. 65 dollars for an inspection and if there is work that needs to be done the 65 is taken from the rebuild bill. Seems pretty legit to me. Glad to hear you had a good experience. I'm not in that much of a hurry as I need to figure out how I'm getting my car to a tuner after I do some upgrades. May have to rent a trailer or something.

9. tangledupinblu

Fwiw. A full rebuild with a new cartridge will run ya between 5 and 6 bills. And not $1 bills either. ;)

But you will essentially have a "brand new-zero miles" turbo.

10. thomas franz

Word. I guess I wasn't too far off. I figured about 500 for the rebuild. Feels good to finally get my build going!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  11. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

I hate to be the guy that says "shoot me an offer," instead of having a solid price, but I don't really know what a used VF39 needing a rebuild goes for. I have an idea, but if you are serious, shoot me a PM with an offer and we can work something out.