WTB and FS - Mid teens Impreza 5 door manual transmission

Discussion in 'Want To Buy : Cars/Parts' started by Parrot, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I have a 2014 Impreza 46k miles, great condition that I want to sell. Essentially I want the same car only a manual transmission. How would you suggest I go about this. I want the least amount of work as possible and from what I can see manual trans impreza's aren't that common. They seem to be a bit cheaper than the auto CVT cars (I'm seeing auto's go for around 16k and manuals go for around 15k, with less miles than mine has).

Obviously I could just try to sell mine and buy a manual transmission one but I have this idea that I could sweet talk a dealership into doing a swap of sorts for my car and the car I want if they could get one in.

Am I missing something that I should be thinking or is this unheard of to think a dealership would do something like this?

Just doing some preliminary thinking.

Thanks

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I would think that you could get a decent deal on a trade. I'm not sure if they would do a straight up trade tho? Seems like alot of things wiuld have to line up. Also, do they pay to have a car delivered from across the country? If so, that would have to be taken into consideration in the price.

3. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

I have a high school buddy that works for a chevy dealership and I know if they can make it work, they have had cars picked up and added to their rack of car shipment, but like you said, things would have to line up and not cost them more to have it delivered than what they are making on the trade-in or deal. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some work to make it happen is my guess. My best bet would be to try and find a place that has one worth getting and then negotiating trade.

4. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Trade value is significantly less than retail value so I wouldn't expect a straight trade unless you find a cheaper higher mileage car. Trading in however will be easier and save you a large portion of sales tax if not all of it.

5. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

A dealership won't do a 'straight up trade'. There is no such thing. They have to see enough margin to make profit after taking your car in, doing paperwork, cleaning it, inspecting it, etc. etc.

While I was selling cars (for a very brief period of time and a lifetime ago) a guy came onto the lot wanting to do a 'straight trade' after he regretted his purchase of his CJ Jeep. He made up some excuse about his elderly mom not being able to climb into it. We did a no-money trade for him, but he got into a car that was worth significantly less than what he came in with. It was just throwing his money away. The difference you describe of about $1k between CVT and manual cars won't be enough unless the dealership is feeling VERY generous.