WTB Inlet Hose or Full Intake 2002 WRX

Discussion in 'Want To Buy : Cars/Parts' started by ofspunk7, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

My sister's car requires a new inlet hose. The rubber on the turbo side is falling apart and she has a good size boost leak.

The part I am looking for.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the part that is failing.

[​IMG]

I am looking for a new inlet hose for the OEM intake. Or a full intake system that contains this part. Let me know what you have. I am trying to save her money because she doesn't have a lot to spend on parts.

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Whatever you do don't replace with oem. Pretty common failure point and pretty fragile as well. Even pulling it off and cranking it down again is enough to rip it.

3. ofspunk7

If I can pick up a free one I am going to use that for now. I agree, it seems like a very bad design. I would like to put something better on it, but it's not my budget to work with. I know my sister just dropped $200+ on a MAF sensor yesterday.

4. idget

I get it, but for the time it takes to do the install (protip, grab a pair of sheers and a cut off wheel and just hack the stock one out of there), its worth putting an aftermarket one in there. Early christmas present?

5. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I agree with Sheen. To remove/install an OEM one you'll have to pull the manifold. It will be an all day job, and then it will probably just tear again, possibly even when you're tightening it down. Cut the OEM one out, and get an afermarket one. There are some silicone ones that can be installed with the manifold on (but will probably be a pain). Or get a hard pipe and never worry about failure. But you'll have to pull the manifold to install it.

6. ofspunk7

Money is the biggest problem. She doesn't have it.

Looking around it's $150 for aftermarket inlets. However, i did find godspeed ones for $80. Anyone ever use/know about these?

I have been told, you do not need to take off the manifold.

7. ofspunk7

I should say most inlets were $200+, i found one for $150

8. idget

The stiffer (lol) silicone inlets you can usually push them over the compressor lip (perrin, avo, gimmick, samco, etc). The softer ones (regardless of ply count) just deform. Don't remember if godspeed if godspeed is a softer one or not. I've installed it before though and I don't remember anything better or worse about it compared to the name brand ones. From a materials standpoint and whether they'll rip, all the silicone ones hold up well in my experience. The only exceptions are the ones thta don't fit well to begin with and require some trimming on that end.

The hard pipes (like the aps) still use a silicone coupler but they do stay in place better making it a bit easier to slip over the turbo side. I've installed an aps hardpipe both with the manifold on and off. Took about the same amount of time iirc. Just different things that fight you.

You can unbolt the ps pump and set it aside to give yourself a little more room but the real issue is you don't have much leverage to push the new one on with teh manifold on. I've pulled the turbo off on a few installs (or at least pulled the dp and loosened the up bolts) to free up some room so I could pull it through. If you have a 12" extension or something similar, you can use that to push the new inlet into place by sticking it through the maf side. It's really not a fun install with the manifold on. Of the 8 or so I've installed I've gotten lucky with one and it "only" took about 2 hours.

If you can find one used for around $100 go for it, otherwise grab the godspeed. I'd be happy to help with the install if you want a hand or access to tools.

9. xveganxcowboyx

xveganxcowboyx Well-Known Member

I had the Godspeed. It wasn't what I would call easy to install, but it wasn't terrible either. Quality seemed fine. I would buy one of those.

10. ofspunk7

Thanks man, I'll let you know.

11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I've seen a couple of good reviews on the Godspeed one. Did you install the MAF yet? If not, tell her to return it and grab mine, then she'll have plenty of cash for a new inlet.

I run an APS hardline on mine...worth the money IMO.

12. tangledupinblu

Also, i'll check the garage in a few...i think that i have an OEM one if you go that route.

13. ofspunk7

Josh, let me check and see if she can return the MAF. I am not sure what the policy is on that.

I know this might bite me in the ass, but she is really short on money right now... so we might go OEM for the time being. Still talking to her about it, but it sounded like she wanted to go the free route vs spending money. I guess I don't mind lending 5 - 6 hours to her to install the part and save her some cash.

14. tangledupinblu

Well if i have the OEM intake, i'll donate it. Has the MAF been installed? I don't know why you wouldn't be able to return it if it hasn't yet.

15. tangledupinblu

And i'm 110% sure that i have a MAF off of Nick's '03 WRX in my garage.

16. ofspunk7

She is calling them today, I should know in the next hour or so. If she can return it I might try and meet up with you tonight. I'll hit you up when I know more.

17. tangledupinblu

Sounds good mang. I'll check within the next hour or two for the inlet in mah garage for ya also. I'm pretty damn sure that i have one, just not 100%...more like 60%. lol

ofspunk7 likes this.
  18. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Have you tried cruising NASIOC for a used Godspeed or other eBay brand? I bet you could get one for $20 from some part out somewhere.

19. ofspunk7

That is a good point. The new Godspeed ones were super cheap, but I wasn't sure if that was a bad move. I mean, I usually try to avoid the ebay crap for my own car. I wasn't sure what people knew about them... so I didn't want to invest in something that was worse than OEM.

20. idget

try iwsti classifieds as well. Just make sure a used part comes with the metal sleeves at minimum (for the bpv return line and airbox coupler). Having the nipples and hoses included is a plus too. You should be able to get a used godspeed for around $50. I like Josh's idea of returning the maf, buying his used one, and spending $xx on an aftermarket inlet. Still highly suggest not installing a used stock inlet. I've never been able to install one without removing the intake manifold and fwiw, you should really replace those im gaskets if you go that route.

21. ofspunk7

These are $60 + Shipping New.
    Amazon GodSpeed Link

If people don't have bad things to say about GodSpeed I might suggest she picks one up.

Otherwise, Josh @ IIR can get me one for a little over double that.

22. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

I have a box of random parts in my parents garage they are yelling at me to remove so when I go over there today I will look and see, I might acutally have one and if i do it it could possible be ok, I do remember it was hard to get off so it might be ripped. if I do have on its yours for free.

23. ofspunk7

Thanks. I talked to my sister again over lunch. I think she might pick up the GodSpeed Inlet. I think there is enough wisdom in this thread telling me that OEM is a bad way to go. She said $60 is not as big of a deal. Unless someone has a reason that I shouldn't go GodSpeed?

24. ofspunk7

Part Ordered - now I wait to see which of the next two Saturdays will be filled with swearing and sweat as I try to replace this PITA

tangledupinblu likes this.
  25. tangledupinblu

Good deal! Honestly replacing it with the OEM isn't the best idea...if you LOVE working on your sisters car, then OEM wins. Every one that i had on the bugeye ripped at the clamps.

26. idget

I vaguely remember you asking me to replace the first one. And then after finding out you wanted to replace it with an oem one responding with a "**** no"

27. tangledupinblu

True story.

The hard inlet IMO is #1(also a pita to install tho)...hard to beat with any silicone piece. But anything is better than stock!

28. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

I have installed silicone one on Legacy GT and it was a pain with manifold on but it worked. If you need help installing I am free this weekend.

29. ofspunk7

Pm'd you about next Saturday.