xluben's Silver 2002 Bugeye WRX Sedan

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by xluben, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

The car came with a free meal!?

Subie Lovers likes this.
  2. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

Wth!?

3. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Brian ate it.

4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Your gold...makes me wet.

5. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

What part is the 3rd to last picture?

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Fuel pump hanger.

boone1186 likes this.
  7. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

External Changes:
    • 2012 Forester 17" Wheels
    • OEM Hood Scoop
    • Removed Rear Wing
    • 04 STI Springs and Struts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jles and Weird0 like this.
  8. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

Wingless=SEX

solomon likes this.
  9. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

^ agreed. The bugeye scoop looks SO much better than the 04/05 also.

10. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

Looking good!!

11. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Awesome! Low profile scoop looks much better. How long till it gets the old NF Stage 1 treatment? haha

12. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I have some things planned for fairly soon. The big power jump will hopefully happen over the winter.

13. strangefamous

strangefamous Well-Known Member

Did nuke mod your stockers? Where did you have them flow tested?

14. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Nuke did it. It was awesome. Looked really cool and dangerous.

I had them tested at Full Blown. They were 1000cc.

15. strangefamous

strangefamous Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I did with my bugeye way back. Nuke is the man!!!

russellmn likes this.
  16. Bugeye18

Bugeye18 Member

How do you like the 04 Sti springs/struts?

17. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's pretty much my idol.

They're working well so far. I might go to coilovers eventually. It's not a daily driver so the street comfort isn't that big of a deal and the coilovers will save weight and give me a little more inboard wheel clearance.

jles likes this.
  18. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Finally moved all the garage stuff to the new garage. Already full of junk. Needs insulation, drywall, and a lot of storage space (shelves) to open up some more working room.

[​IMG]

Fortunately it can still fit 3 cars :)

[​IMG]

Maybe one of these days I can get to doing some more stuff to the WRX...

But so far it's been running well and it's pretty fun with the 5MT, 2.0L, VF39, and E85.

russellmn and Nhibbs like this.
  19. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

New garage is a huge upgrade on the old one. Congrats bud!

20. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's really nice to be able to park 3 cars in the garage, but the free space around the cars is actually way down from the old garage. The old garage was only a 2 car, but it was 6 feet deeper than the new one! Overall area only went 520ft^2 to 618ft^2 (so definitely not a 50% increase like you would think when going from 2 cars to 3 cars).

And the old garage had full height shelving along the entire back wall. The storage was great, and the extra deep garage made for a lot more room to work. The third stall in the new garage barely has enough room to walk around the car, especially with the workbench there. I definitely need to add some shelves eventually.

Another really nice thing is the higher ceilings. The old garage was low (8ft?) and had an even lower spot right above the car. You couldn't jack the car up very high with the hood open or it would hit the ceiling. I think this garage is 9ft? I'm not positive, but it's a lot higher than the old one. High enough that it's tempting to put in a lift :devil:

Here's a shot of the garage without all the junk. It looks way bigger than it really is.

[​IMG]

21. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

dibbs!

22. jles

jles Member

You should just build a shed in back for all your stuff that way you have enough room for car parts ;)

23. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

OK.

That's probably going to happen. I just have to make sure it complies with HOA...

24. Driveshaft

Driveshaft Well-Known Member

Now I know who got the rest of those black and yellow storage containers. Those are great I picked up at least 10 for my move. Now I just need to finish my new garage.

25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

About a month ago I drove to two different Home Depot's and only found 3 of them. One of which has a different lid so it doesn't stack well. Yesterday I went to a different Home Depot and bought all 7 that they had. They made the garage move waaay easier. Well worth it.

26. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Wow I am jealous of your garage space! You just moved to a new house I take it?
    A lift would be perfect if you can fit it. Then my jealousy might not be able to be contained.

27. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, new house. My one and only requirement was a 3 car garage, haha. Wish list as follows:
    1. Electrical/Lighting (more outlets, 220V, additional overhead lighting)
    2. Insulation/Drywall (walls/ceiling)
    3. DIY Shelves (lots)
    4. Floor Coating
    5. Garage Heater
    6. Vehicle Lift
    Electrical pretty much has to come first or I'm going to kick myself later. But I don't know a thing about wiring a house, so I'm kind of stuck.

28. ofspunk7

I find it is best to use extention cords and surge protectors behind the walls

pillboy likes this.
  29. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oops double post

30. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah that garage would be a big selling point for me too!
    I work with a lot of high voltage 3-phase 240-480VAC in my job if you need any help haha. But generally you need a certified electrician to do the install.
    Do you already have 220V lines to your house? If not you can contact the power company and they can add the service.
    Otherwise if you just want single phase 220VAC and you don't need a ton of current you could buy a step-up transformer just for the garage. Here is a pretty inexpensive 5kW one: http://www.amazon.com/Simran-AC-5000-Voltage-Converter-Transformer/dp/B004MPR44E

What all do you need use the 22o for?

31. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I believe the dryer uses 220V, so I think that means I have it? The 220V drop in the garage would be just in case I do a lift. I'm itching to insulate/drywall everything, but I know I would regret not doing more lighting and outlets.

32. Bugeye18

Bugeye18 Member

It's crazy how fast a 3 car garage can fill up. Mine is stuffed right now, but once I sell my Jeep I'll have more space. If/when you decide to sell your turbo setup you should let me know! I followed your last build on NASCIOC so I'm sure your bugeye will end up beastly too!

33. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah you probably have it for the dryer so you theoretically could wire the garage yourself. You have to make sure you get the correct gage wire and terminate all of the connections safely.
    It'll depend on the lift you get but it probably won't draw more than 15-20A so if you wire it with a 30A breaker in your fuse box and 8 or 10 AWG copper wire you should be fine.
    I would definitely feel comfortable doing it in my own house but it might be "safer" to have an electrician do it.

But really if you really want to do it yourself you just need to get the proper permits. Here is the online system for applying for permits for MN: http://www.dli.mn.gov/CCLD/etrakit_homeowner.asp
    You need to be a licensed electrician to do electrical work on other people's house but you can do pretty much whatever you want to your own house. I believe an inspector will need to come after you are finished to make sure it is up to code, much like a deck or other structure.

jblewis likes this.
  34. jblewis

jblewis Well-Known Member

I'm not an electrician (I don't play on TV either), but here's some of my experience and knowledge:
    1) 220v circuits come from 'tapping' both phases of power in the main panel. A 220 circuit takes two vertically consecutive slots in your main panel.
    2) As long as it passes inspection, you don't really need to hire an electrician. I really don't recommend extending this idea to to connecting the new circuits tom the main panel though. I've been doing electrical work in my homes since I was in high school, and working inside the main panel STILL gives me the heebee-jeebees
    3) There are lots of books on the electric code, libraries and half-price books are your friends.
    4) You're on the right track, do the electrical before you do the walls! That's an inspection thing. If you are going to add circuits to the panel, you're really supposed to pull a building permit (and have things inspected) in most jurisdictions. I stress the "you're really supposed to"... Please don't ask me to go on record regarding the electrical work I've done on my current house.

Nhibbs likes this.
  35. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oh yeah you are right, for houses in the US you typically get "split-phase" 240/120 which is just 2 legs each with 120VAC that are 180 degrees out of phase. So leg-leg you get 240VAC and leg-neutral you get standard 120VAC. Your breakers for the rest of the house just use one leg of the Mains.
    So like jblewis said, getting 240VAC is as easy as putting a 2-pole breaker in the box.

http://homerepair.about.com/od/electricalrepair/ss/240v_breaker.htm

36. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info. I think I could handle most of it, but I really have no idea on how to get the wires from the breaker box out to the garage. Fishing the wires through the walls is probably my biggest hang up right now.

37. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I had a little help from my brother and Derek and pulled the motor out on Friday. All went pretty smoothly/easily. It was pretty late so we called it quits after the motor was out. Still need to pull the tranny. Waiting on a few small parts to be able to put the new stuff in anyways. Sorry for the terrible cell phone pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

And the madness begins!

39. ofspunk7

Glad I could help. Let me know when you need help with the other stuff.

That last picture looks like there is a ton of fluid on the floor... I know there isn't, but it is just how the light caught it.

40. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

Did you get rid of your hatch? Sorry if I missed mention of that at some point, just curious because that car was so beautiful.

41. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Nice! Glad to see some progress! That original engine/tranny isn't the strongest around.
    Is that a built EJ25 going in its place? Any details on the internals for the new motor? Can't wait to see what turbo you end up going with.

42. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

With 186k on the stock shortblock and tranny I didn't think they'd last too long at higher power, so I am switching while they're still running well. Maybe someone else will purchase them from me?

The EJ25 is built similar to my last motor in my 2011 WRX. Pistons, I Beam Rods, ACL Bearings, etc. The cams are GSC S1 (268/266), so maybe it will do a little better up top than my last setup.

Nhibbs likes this.
  43. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Awesome! I was always curious how much of a limiting factor the stock cams were on the last build. It will be cool to see the amount of top end gain you will see assuming you go with a similar turbo.
    What ECU are you running? Are you going to have AVCS? Single or dual?

44. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Stock ECU. Non-AVCS :(

Hopefully the S1 cams will give me a little top end without making the non-AVCS low end any poopier than it inevitably will be. Oh well, top end is where it's at!

Nhibbs and eterenity11 like this.
  45. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The Subaru 2.0L is actually pretty damn good. The 02 tranny on the other hand, is not!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching this build progress. I'm sure it will be nothing short of fast! Should look into AVCS though...I hear it makes some pretty decent power.

Nhibbs likes this.