yakima roof rack installation Q's

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by SubeN'Siren, Apr 6, 2009.

1. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Ok, so I bought the new clips to put my old rack on my 02' wrx sedan.
    I can't remember where you are supposed to measure for the distance between the towers on the bars...is it between the feet, or up top, where the steel mounts go around the bars. There are two measuring marks on top of each tower, do I use them?

Where do the clips hook onto the car? Where I have them set up for now, it looks like I pull back the trim, and install there? Or do they go all the window frame like my previous car...I kinda doubt that, being that the windows are frameless.

Please help, I'm not totally inept, and could wing it, but would rather know for sure where everything is supposed to end up,
    Thanks!

2. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

It's top corner of the windshield to the closest corner of the front mount (foot). Then from the middle of the front bar to the middle of the rear bar. The clips go right where you think they would. Nothing will be damaged but it will leave a small indent in the plastic trim.

Go here: http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-systems/product/8000124/q-towers.aspx Click Instructions.

3. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

Everytime I put my yakima on I end up swearing ALOT.

Follow that link webcrawlr posted, its your best bet.

AND, make sure its done correct 100%. you'll thank yourself AND you car/rack/bikes wont sustain any damage if it falls off.

4. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

if you have any yakima specific questions feel free to PM me and we'll set-up a time for your installation (me = yakima guru)

there's another person on this site that said he knew yakima (worked at erik's) butthe last rack I checked that he installed was finger tight and was about to fall off the car:eek4:

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Never once did I say I was a Yakima guru and for the record Dave would get off my case to come over and help him. There is a reason us sales guys didn't put them on after someone purchased them. I really don't like roof racks, but I was asked to come over and help so I held the bars as he tightened. Facts ... learn them butt munch ;)

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

:laugh:...I wasn't even talking about you!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But yeah, you sucked at installing them too.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

I don't know of too many folks on here that work at Eriks. I can think of three You, The kid looking at your car and Me.