Yes, another contest

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by silver03, Dec 27, 2016.

1. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Q2 no

2. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Q3 very yes. As a result of the same activities in Q1.

[​IMG]

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yep. No pics tho.

4. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Question 4! Have you ever helped or single-handedly pulled a Subaru motor or tranny?

Takalak likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yes! Helped Sheen a time or two. Mainly watched him and Yusef hard at work! :coffee:
    IMG_4729.JPG IMG_4724.JPG

6. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

I have not yet so no.

7. derp

derp Well-Known Member

nope

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Oh god yes....
    I think was the first one. Probably 2005 or '06. Parting out my '85 Wagon (Martin took this picture).
    [​IMG]

Putting the engine and transmission in Max's T-leg just a few days before the Ice Races:
    [​IMG]

Pulling the old engine/FWD 3AT out of my Loyale in preparation for the EJ22 and FT4WD 5MT
    [​IMG]

Doing the clutch in my EJ22-swapped Loyale (obviously I'd had the engine out before for the engine swap). I drove the car to Northern Tool in the morning, pulled the engine, replaced the clutch and rusty oil pan, put the engine in it, and went to work delivering pizzas from 5pm-1am
    [​IMG]

My dad and I did this one with a 4x4 and a chain, we each lifted from each side of the car, and set it in the wheelbarrow. I ruined this engine at the first ice races:
    [​IMG]

And for fun, the original 22RTE that came out of my 4Runner. Was replaced with a 22RE, then a GM 4.3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Never pulled a tranny but have pulled a couple motors.

Rebuilt the "top end" of the WRX a couple years ago due to burnt valves. Pulled the motor out of the Legacy last year to do the clutch and fix some oil leaks while in there.

[​IMG]

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. idget

Yep. Lost count. Probably 20 and only the svx motor into 2.5RS was my own. Dropped the trans for clutch jobs on a dozen or 2 as well.

Here's Josh's the first time:

[​IMG]

Josh's the 2nd time:

[​IMG]

other (Rochester) Josh's:

[​IMG]

Chet's old car... surprise, it had issues!:

[​IMG]

11. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Never pulled the motor or tranny. Most I've done is suspension and brake work.

12. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Yes, swapped a 6-speed into my bugeye last summer after the 5-speed broke when I gave it a little too much pulling out from an intersection. Photos of the old and "new" trannies as well as a view from below the car with trans removed.
    2017-01-03 12.37.18.jpg 2017-01-03 12.38.08.jpg

Takalak and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  13. idget

A time or 5 or 6 lol

Flooded motor out with Dave at your place uptown.
    Flooded motor back in with Dave at your place uptown.
    Hybrid motor out at Yusef's.
    Donor motor out of your current car at JM(?).
    Hybrid motor into current car at your rental property (?).
    And finally, the only one I don't remember doing was the donor motor going back into blu before you sold it.

I think the only place I haven't pulled/installed your motor is in my own garage lol

edit... actually looks like yes on the 6th time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sneefy and pleiades like this.
  14. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

No, not yet. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

15. tangledupinblu

ROFLMAO. It's been a few times!

16. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

Q1- yes. 3x with my sedan and 1 time in my wagon. I covet more track time though
    Q2 yes. Frequently
    Q3 no. Thank the Lord.
    Q4 yes. I have not yet pulled an engine but i am very familiar with transmission swaps. Lets say i was young and loved to launch... everywhere. Lol

sneefy and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. silver03

It's a bad thing! You would be amazed how simple it really is...unless you are trying to put a 3.3 where God never intended it to go :), then it is not so simple.@tangledupinblu @idget

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  18. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

God intended the EG33 to go in everything.

Takalak, blackozone, sneefy and 5 others like this.
  19. Tyler Witty

Tyler Witty Active Member

Q1: No
    Q2: No
    Q3: Yes, I hit a turkey while I was passing a semi and had no where to go, this happened with 1,000 miles on my brand new car :(
    Q4: No

Attached Files:

20. Cotts612

Lol That's what I thought. I was thinking good because I haven't had any problems with my wrx that needed the engine to be pulled.

Takalak likes this.
  21. tangledupinblu

QFT! Amen my friend.

Chux likes this.
  22. idget

True story.

Genesis 2.2b
    And on the 8th day, God finally gave us torque via the eg33.

Deathly, Chux, sneefy and 3 others like this.
  23. silver03

Question 5! Have you been pulled over in your Subie for any reason at all? Bring the memes!

Takalak likes this.
  24. pleiades

I have not, but that's just thanks to pure dumb luck. Not that I drive like an ass-hat, but it's hard to obey the posted speed limits all the time in a modded Subie. However, I let my mom's boyfriend take it for a quick drive a few weeks back and he managed to get pulled over in it. Out in the middle of nowhere in WI, he just happened to pass by a state trooper on a back road in the country. He got ticketed for going 80 in a 55. So I suppose that's a yes and a no, my Subie has been pulled over but not with me in it.

25. idget

Yes. Twice in a week in the WRX back in 06... No tickets for either, fortunately. Def no pic of either.

26. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. I've had probably 8 or 10 speeding tickets in my life, one was in a Honda, the rest were in Subarus. I've been pulled over probably 3 other times in Subarus and not been ticketed.

Not a Subaru, but...
    84578362.jpg

Takalak and Cotts612 like this.
  27. Cotts612

Yessir, first time in 15 years last spring. Here comes a story!

I worked a double, 5:50am to 7:45pm, and was headed up north to my cabin. I wanted to watch part of the Wild playoff game in Garrison, so I put the hammer down. 80mph was the cruise control setting the whole way, speed limit is 65 might I add. I hit Onamia and noticed a suv on the right shoulder with its lights off. I moved over to the left lane, and that's when I saw the reflective letters on the Ford. Balls! I got about a mile down the road and the lights came on. I pulled as far over as I could, put all the interior lights on and turned off the car. Onamia police officer came to my window and asked, "going a little fast are ya?" I agreed that I was speeding, as there was no apparent way of getting out of this one. As I was digging for my insurance card in my glove box, I decided to let him know that I had just worked close to 14 hours and just wanted to get up to my cabin, and that I know it wasn't an excuse, but that was my reason for speeding. I could see him glance at my lunch box on the passenger seat, and FedEx attire on myself. He acknowledged my plea, and took my I'd back to his squad car. At this point, I know I'm getting a ticket. He comes back not even a minute later and tells me since I haven't had a speeding ticket in 15 years, he'll let me go as long as I keep it under 10 over through Onamia. Holy Subaru Gods thank you! I shake his hand and do an awd burnout outta there. J/k I drive like a gentleman the rest of the way and watch the end of the 2nd period and the 3rd at the Y club. That's the closest I've come in a while to being screwed. Again, sorry for the long rant, but it is a magical story /journey.

Takalak and silver03 like this.
  28. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

No, but that's what happens when you drive a slow subie :rolleyes:

Takalak and tangledupinblu like this.
  29. tangledupinblu

Yes!

The most notable one was for tint. On the same ticket he also got me for exhaust, license plate surround obstructing my registration stickers, vinyls on my windows, and no front plate.

He actually gave me hell for rolling down my windows! I told him that I always roll down the windows and turn the ignition off if i get pulled over. He stated, "you are just trying to hide your tint from me!" I lol'd.

It did me no favor to respond to his "do you know why I pulled you over today" question with a response of "quota?" tho. Just for future reference. ;)
    IMG_4777.JPG

Takalak, TMF, Cotts612 and 1 other person like this.
  30. Krazylegz1485

Twice, both in SD for some reason. Ticket on the first, warning on the second. Wife got this pic on the second one...

[​IMG]

silver03 likes this.
  31. derp

derp Well-Known Member

yes i have. no ticket.

32. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Oh yea. Usually for mud obstructing the windows, or exhaust. One time the cop was waiting for me at the boat ramp as I came off Long Lake... "my partner thinks I should give you the reckless driving ticket, but I'm going to let you off with the no muffler ticket".

I got pulled over and read the riot act for the mud on my car (private property, owner's permission, totally legal, and questionable whether it was even legal to pull me over, BTW). Luckily for that mud, he couldn't see the paper grocery bag full of fireworks in the car.

I got pulled over this day, which was interesting because I was driving it home with a broken clutch cable:
    [​IMG]

I've gotten a written warning for using those uncovered flood lights mounted on the roof rack while on the road.

Got a no front plate ticket while pulling my buddy who had gotten stuck in the ditch. I was on the road, but the guy in the ditch got an "offroading in a state park" ticket.

Takalak, Deathly, sneefy and 2 others like this.
  33. silver03

Rolling on to Question 6. Have you ever owned two or more Subarus at the same time?

Takalak likes this.
  34. pleiades

I currently own 2, my bugeye and a '15 Legacy that my wife drives
    2017-01-04 10.07.15.jpg 2017-01-04 10.06.44.jpg

tangledupinblu likes this.
  35. Tyler Witty

Tyler Witty Active Member

Q5: No
    Q6: No

I'm not doing very well lol...but I like reading everyone's stories! That Bugeye is sick! ^^^^

pleiades likes this.
  36. idget

Yep.

There was crossover between the 07 STi, 08 lgt, 01 RS, and 92 svx. No more than 3 at a time due to lack of parking.

bonus fap material: a rare clownpants sighting @curly2k3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tangledupinblu, Chux and pleiades like this.
  37. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I think there's only been about a year of my driver's-licensed life (14 years) that I didn't have more than one. I bought my second one ('85 wagon) about 3 months after I got my license (had the Loyale when I got my license). And there was probably about 8 months or so from when I sold the Blue '88 to buy the 4Runner before I bought the '89 XT6 (owned the Loyale)

Picture of my driveway from about a month ago. Sold the silver '97 since then, but still have the '04 Outback, '89 XT6, and '84 Brat:
    [​IMG]

That leaves me with 16 cylinders between the 3 Subarus....I like that statistic

sneefy, tangledupinblu and idget like this.
  38. silver03

Keep playing! Perhaps a new guy consolation prize will find its way to you my friend.

39. tangledupinblu

Yessir! Currently at 3, but we had 4 last summer.

Present:
    IMG_8795.JPG

sneefy, Takalak, idget and 1 other person like this.
  40. Cotts612

No, need more money$.

41. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. I'll update this post later with a pic of both of our current Subies. Concurrently owned Subarus have been a 2006 Impreza paired with one of: 2010 OBS, a 2009 Legacy 3.0R, or one of two SJ Foresters.

Edit for image. Lame photo but it's cold and dark. But there are tennis balls as depth indicators! IMG_20170104_190108.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Chux likes this.
  42. idget

How did you like the 3.0R? Miss everything about the 08lgt 5eat except the motor. Now that they're in that $10k range I've been thinking about picking one up once the wagon and/or 4runner dies.

43. Krazylegz1485

Currently. 95 Legacy, 03 WRX. Caprice is my brother's.
    [​IMG]

44. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I really liked it, actually. Keep in mind I've never owned a turbo Subaru, so it was the most powerful Subie I've had. The EZ30D w/245 HP is very smooth, has plenty of power, and by reputation is bulletproof. (head gasket issues are rare, timing chain instead of belt, etc.) I like the 5EAT as well. I kept it in S# most of the time. It was a sedan and the only reason I got rid of it was to get back into a hatch and a manual. In hindsight, I should have kept it as I'm over having a manual in a DD and the trunk was plenty large. I do browse CL occasionally for a 3.0R Outback. I think the current gen Outback (even thought the 3.6 has more torque) is just a bit too large.

Deathly and Chux like this.
  45. idget

Right on, thanks for the feedback. Much prefer a broad torque band over touchy turbo power delivery in a DD. Only upside to a wagon/hatch/suv for me is having separate areas for the dogs if/when needed but I've been wanting to switch back to a sedan for a while.

/thread derailment