Yes, another contest

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by silver03, Dec 27, 2016.

1. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Q9:Yes!

Had to flat tow the RSVX behind the inlaws truck this past spring/summer because it was out of gas.:confused: My father in law said that he was suspicious about a couple of their vehicles being empty also when they had been parked with gas in them(farm out by Harris). The RS definitely had a full tank when parked, as i had topped it off prior.

Also, Ice Races FTW. There was always alot of tow rope action there! At the ice races you kept your tow hook attached and in the trunk anticipating the inevitable!
    IMG_4804.PNG

Takalak and silver03 like this.
  2. tangledupinblu

Giggity!

3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Question 10 and then only one more to go! Have you ever powder coated, repainted or plasti-dipped a grill, wheels, brake calipers, scoop, or anything else on your Subaru?

4. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Yes, a few things. My grille had previously been painted body color so I painted the center black. The calipers had previously been painted gold but were flaking badly so I painted them blue. My wheels were powdercoated "gold" when I got them. I like that iconic Subaru color scheme but they looked more like a mustard yellow so I painted them metallic black. No before/after photos of the grille or calipers, but here are some of the wheels.

2017-01-06 08.43.05.jpg 2017-01-06 08.42.43.jpg

silver03 and idget like this.
  5. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yes I have, but only twice and only paint. On my first Subaru, a 1999 2.5RS, I painted the brake calipers yellow. So dorky. No pics of that one.

I also did a "Readymix Special" on my 2002 bugeye wagon's wheels. I know he loves black-painted wheels!

Pic below of that car on Oberg Mountain in fall 2008. (Onion River Rd. on the North Shore) Also lowered on Prodrive Blue springs, Rallyarmors, and Whiteline sways and endlinks. Slow since it was an N/A, but it handled well!
    Fall 08 243.jpg

6. derp

derp Well-Known Member

q9 yes. deth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

q10 also yes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

aaaaand

[​IMG]

silver03 likes this.
  7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yep.

Blacked out the sti interior:

[​IMG]

painted the badges on pretty much all of them as well:

[​IMG]

Did the winter wheels and front lip (to match the flat black badges and headlights):

[​IMG]

colormatched the hoodscoop delete when I switched to front mount:

[​IMG]

And repainted the rsvx in stages:

[​IMG]

8. pleiades

I'm considering painting the upper interior trim and reupholstering the headliner in my Subie too. What kind of paint did you use on the plastic pieces? Any recommendations?

9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

LOL I like that you're rocking a car in a group of ATV's.

10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I feel like that was my ex's '96 Outback pulling you out in that picture....

Q9: Oh yea. Almost all my Subarus have had hitches, and use them.

Frequently just my jet-ski:
    [​IMG]

Did a lot of hauling for our move this summer:
    [​IMG]

And much more.

sneefy likes this.
  11. tangledupinblu

I used Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric paint on all of the carpeted pieces and the a-b-c pillars, doorcards...etc.,etc.

12. tangledupinblu

Q10:yes! Within the 14 years of Subaru ownership, i have painted many of the things. Most recently tho was my WRX's STi sideskirts, front spats, and rear spats. They used to be WRB. Now they are Aspen White.

IMG_2997.JPG

sneefy likes this.
  13. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Q10. Many things have been painted:

These are the same wheels:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear suspension on the Loyale. Bought:
    [​IMG]

Blasted:
    [​IMG]

Painted:
    [​IMG]

I did the 2-tone on the Chuxwagon:
    [​IMG]

sneefy likes this.
  14. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know those guys. I was in the park with some friends that were on dirt bikes, but we split up.

15. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Q10 - Yes, plastic dipped my front grill last summer black to get rid of the ugly chrome. Still hated the look of it after I dipped it so replace the entire grill with a sport mesh grill.

I didn't take a picture of my car when I did this because I hated it so much, but this is an example of what I did. This one has dipped a lot more parts though.
    Screenshot_20170106-103212.jpg

silver03 likes this.
  16. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Can I just say that y'all are putting us not mechanically inclined newbs to shame with your experiences. I'm enjoying reading the thread but as a first time WRX ('16) owner (gulp, purchased new) I feel like I no longer belong here :)

I'm even more impressed now with the knowledge and experience of the MN Subaru community :)

tangledupinblu, pleiades and Chux like this.
  17. silver03

@klutz The main focus of mine behind this contest was just what you observed. That is getting to see the fantastic pictures and the stories behind them with your local Subaru community. As you have correctly ascertained at this point, there is truly some real talent (modifying, building, driving, fabricating) here as well as a genuine zest for life with our cars. You bought a WRX for a reason...you belong.

Krazylegz1485, klutz, sneefy and 3 others like this.
  18. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Well then your contest is perfect - well done! And in case anyone was worried, I'm not going anywhere - these forums are too fun. I may even take @Krazylegz1485 up on his offer to use his garage for a mod once it warms up :)

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  19. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Q9) never towed/been towed. I fit everything I needed on the roof racks of the crosstrek, including a full size bed. (Sadly I missed taking that pic)

Q10) not on the subaru, but on a previous car (a Canadian 98 Volvo s70 t5) I had gotten a set of rattle can gold wheels to replace the ugly ones that came with the car. They looked much worse in person.
    [​IMG]

I got them sand blasted and powder coated to look like this
    [​IMG]

I do plan to plasti-dip my roof basket. And we'll see what happens when I get a set of winter wheels for the outback (dang bolt pattern change!)

20. silver03

I have had @Krazylegz1485 in my garage...he can be trusted. :)

tangledupinblu likes this.
  21. pleiades

Might not fit in @tangledupinblu 's garage though. Or at least he'd come out with a sore neck/back :rolleyes:

22. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Due to the aforementioned pair of deer hits, I ended up having to replace/fix pretty much the entire front clip. Got a new right fender, hood, and bumper. Fixed the previous hail damage in the left fender, and did my best to blend the silver at the doors. Was one of my first "on my own" complete start to finish paint jobs on a car, so was pretty nervous/stoked at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was totally a blessing in disguise. Not only did I come out on top by doing the work myself and scoring parts at body shop cost, I also discovered some horrendous work from somebody in the past. I'm assuming was the people who I bought the car from trying to make it look a little better for the sale. Definitely a learning experience with this one, but that's the best way to learn, right?

Anywho, this is a pic of the front bumper "fix" by somebody else. Basically a piece of super thin sheet metal bent to a rough shape, then a wad of mud spread over the whole thing. It was actually quite hilarious to dig out.
    [​IMG]

23. Krazylegz1485

Good times... Come on warmer weather!

24. silver03

Final question! Have you ever had someone you did not know compliment you on your Subaru or ask about it in any way in person? Thumbs up while driving does not count here. No photo point awarded here, but extra point earned for a short description of the encounter.

With that said, a reminder that final answers need to be submitted by tomorrow at noon. After that give me a couple of days to sort through all the results and award points to declare a winner as well as conduct a 2nd place drawing. Yes, I will ship if you are outstate, or across town for that matter.

25. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yep. A lonely Friday night that turned much less lonely in a hurry. I'll admit, it was a bit scary at first and overall the whole exchange was a bit awkward. But aren't all "casual encounters?" Wait, what are we talking about again?

26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Yes! many times.

at NHRA summer nationals I had a worker ask if the car was a legacy, then tell me they've never seen a modified wagon like it and that they thought it was cool.

recently at the t mobile store one of the employees walked by heading back in towards the store and complimented the car, and asked what was done to it. he had a heavily modded Mazda 3.

thumbs up and a huge head nod from a kid in a modded VW as I passed them on the freeway

the list goes on.

27. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Question 10:

Yes, I've plasti-dipped my grill, and re-plasti-dipped my Saabaru rims! Also, plasti-dipped the stock horn black because they were rusty, and sprayed the windshield wiper arms front and back with black rust-oleum.
    2017-01-06 18.42.33.jpg

Question 11:

I've had multiple comments and questions through the years. My girlfriends car was being worked on at a shop, and when I dropped her off, the mechanic came out and started talking with me about it my car. He had a Forester and loved it, so I told him to join Mnsubaru. Not sure if he joined or not.

Also have had random people at gas stations chat with me briefly. Had a guy at a car wash ask me if it was a Ford. Lol I laughed and told him it was a Subaru and he said they were great winter cars. Well duh. Not sure what Ford he was thinking of.

TMF likes this.
  28. tangledupinblu

Q11:Yes, many times!

A couple of weeks ago i had an "old timer" ask me what the car was. I told him "a Subaru" and he went on with a list of peope he knows that rave about the AWD in the MN winters and that his daughter has an Outback.

He was also an old school hot rodder and thought that 300 horsies out of a wee little 4 cylinder was crazy.(Most of the old V8 guys would probably agree since many of the old school V8's were pushing about that much with a 6000lb. car)hahaha. He finished off with the "she's a real head turner" comment and we parted ways.

Funny, because I've never really thought of a WRX/STi as a "head turner". Lmao

29. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yes, a few times. Mainly for my old 1999 2.5RS coupe. I have a couple:

One, in 2001 or so, I was in the drive through of the BK on 36 and White Bear Ave. The kid at the window looked at my car, with spoiler and scoop and whatnot and asked me what it was. I told him, and he suggested I do a burnout. I told him 'I can't, it's all wheel drive.' (Not that I would have done such a thing in a drive through lane...) His response was just 'Sweet'.

Another time in 2002 or so in Stillwater I was picking up a couple longneck cases of beer for a friend's party. (back when returnables existed...) While leaving, I carried one case, a dude from MGM carried the other. He asked, when I got to the car 'Is this fat hog a WRX?!?!'. (The WRX was finally just brought in the US, and it was still quite the novelty) I told him what it was. He seemed slightly disappointed that it wasn't the newly released WRX, but just an RS.

Of the 7 Subarus I've had, I got plenty of compliments on the RS. I still miss that car.

30. pleiades

I don't drive mine very much, so I haven't had a lot of random encounters. Lots of waves, thumbs-up, etc from Subaru and non-Subaru drivers alike though. And to reference @tangledupinblu's comment, my WRX has become a bit of a "head turner" at this point.

Not sure if I just don't seem very approachable or what, but as far as I can remember I've really only had a few strangers come up and talk to me about it. One I recall was when I had just finished up a session at BIR (the one time I've ever had it on the track) and another driver came over to compliment me on it. He thought it looked really clean but apparently he'd been behind me on the track because he said he was surprised at how well it gripped the corners. The beauty of Subaru's symmetrical AWD system, amirite? And this was on some average all-seasons and a mostly stock suspension (just drop springs).

Since then I've added Whiteline sway bars/endlinks and a set of wide, sticky Nitto NT05s so I'm really looking forward to getting it on the track again. Also interested to see how the recent e85 tune and 6-speed change things.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  31. tangledupinblu

^It's probably the beard.

LOL

Krazylegz1485 and pleiades like this.
  32. Krazylegz1485

Actually had one today. Pulled up in front of Ace Hardware in Champlin. Dude working there was out front smoking when I pulled up. I go to walk in, he stops me on my way up to the door.

"Can I ask ya a random question?" Whilst kinda looking at the car.
    "Sure, what's up?"
    "You ever get ticketed in that thing?"
    "Nope". I said instinctively, cuz in my head I thought he was referencing the tint for some reason. (He was older.)
    "Oh. Wow. That's the most ticketed car on the road, you know... WRX, right?"
    "Yep..."

33. Krazylegz1485

Holy ****. You get some ribs removed at some point? You're pretty good at tooting your own horn.

34. Stormtrooper1

Q11) all the time with the crosstrek.
    Nice color, nice car, wow that's bright, peace sign from another orange crosstrek driver in Yellowstone.

Just got complimented on the orange at my last service visit that my scarf matched the car (scarf was a gift about 10 yrs ago from my sister for Christmas)

I know you said no photo point, but I'm posting anyway.
    [​IMG]

The outback is very stealth... no one notices it.

35. Krazylegz1485

You should get some sort of paper mache or fiberglass stump shaped thing for the roof and paint it green. Could make some good side money driving around the mall parking lots selling pumpkin spice flavored anything.

sneefy likes this.
  36. Stormtrooper1

Ha! Pumpkin spice everything all fall! I should have had "pmkn spc" as my plate!

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  37. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Q1: Have you ever had your Subaru on a closed course on or off road?
    Yes, many times, and I have many photos. How about instead of a photo, I post a video...and one that is a bit entertaining:

Q2: Have you ever hauled something on top of your Subaru or had something sticking out the window, trunk or hatch because it would not fit completely inside?
    Yep, mainly skis and bikes.

[​IMG]

Q3: Have you ever been in an accident with your Subie and sustained noticeable damage to your car?
    Unfortunately yes, and it totaled out my second Saabaru. I was on my way to ski at Afton with my fiance, and we got backed up on MN95, stopped in the middle of blowing snow. A minivan that was going about 40 mph rear ended us. It still drove, although it was crab-walking a hair. I still miss that car. Aftermath:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q4:Have you ever helped or single-handedly pulled a Subaru motor or tranny?
    Yes! I've helped pull a transmission on @Curry's 2.5RS, helped pull a motor on @Curry's Forester, helped turbo turtle pull a 6 speed many years ago, and probably others. No pics unfortunately.

Q5: Have you been pulled over in your Subie for any reason at all? Bring the memes!
    Uh yep, but I think I've been pulled over more in my past company cars or non-subaru's lol. The latest was in my past 08 STI for doing 65 mph in a 55mph, and window tint. It's a good thing he didn't catch me about 10 minutes prior on the other fun backroad...would have been much worse. No pics of this one, but this meme showed up when I searched for "speeding subaru meme". Ask my wife about this...

[​IMG]

Q6: Have you ever owned two or more Subarus at the same time?
    Yes. I've owned 6 "Subaru's" over time, but technically have only owned two actual Subaru's at once. My wife also owns a Subaru.

The two Subaru's that I owned a the same time were the 08 STI and 12 Legacy 3.6R. But here's a brief photo of each one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Q7:
    Have you ever:

1. Paid more than 30k for a Subaru?
    2. Paid less than 1k for a Subaru?
    3. Bought a brand new Subie?
    1. Yes, bought my 16 XT Touring with Eyesight brand new, 7 miles on the clock:
    2: Almost...I bought back my totaled Saabaru from the insurance company for about $1k, and turned around and sold it to a junk yard for $1,500.
    3. Yup, see #1.

New foz:
    [​IMG]

And the Saabaru, before it took it's death march to the junk yard :(
    [​IMG]

Q8: Have you ever gotten stuck or been left by the side of the road (stranded) with your Subaru?

Yes...totally missed the street and ended up high-centered on a sidewalk :(. Got a shovel from the gas station and dug myself out though!
    I can't find the exact photo, but this photo was taken the same day:
    [​IMG]

Q9: Have you ever towed anything or been towed with your Subaru?

Yup, just a couple weeks ago...I finally got to put my receiver d-ring and tow strap to work! I pulled a Mitsubishi out of the ditch with the Forester. Subaru=1 Mitsubishi=0

No pic while it was going on, but here is a pic of the tow strap after:
    [​IMG]

And I also have a hitch bike rack...
    [​IMG]

Q10: Have you ever powder coated, repainted or plasti-dipped a grill, wheels, brake calipers, scoop, or anything else on your Subaru?

Yup, wheels on the saabaru and just did the grille and fog light surrounds on the Forester. Turned out well!
    [​IMG]

Q11: Have you ever had someone you did not know compliment you on your Subaru or ask about it in any way in person?

Yes, has happened several times, although my favorite, was up at BIR. I just got done with a 20 minute advanced session on the road course (short course) and the driver of a Mercedes AMG something convertible (that I passed handily) gets out of his car and says, "Who's driving that god damn Subaru??" I politely say, "Uh, that was me." He responds, "What in the hell did you do to that thing?" Me: "Completely stock!"

There is a video of said track session somewhere, but I don't have the time to dig through all of that footage!

Krazylegz1485 and Cotts612 like this.
  38. silver03

And now we wait for results and the 2nd place drawing. Thanks everyone who played as the stories and pictures were excellent. I will begin tabulation tomorrow.

sneefy likes this.
  39. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I'm tooting my car's horn since it's the recipient of the compliments, not me. Not my fault people like a clean modded wagon.

sneefy, silver03 and pleiades like this.
  40. silver03

image.jpeg Winners to be announced shortly. A lot of tabulation going on here.

Attached Files:

41. tangledupinblu

Lmao, you guys are out of control. I see that the contest headquarters moved to a new location! Nice digs!

My prediction is that Cody will win again...:p

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  42. Krazylegz1485

Au contraire, mon frere!

43. silver03

Breaking News! The judges have tabulated the results and with 21 points and 24 likes, the impossible has happened. Not only has Donald Trump been elected, but @tangledupinblu has legitimately won a contest. Congratulations Josh! There was a tie with @TMF for points and the likes decided it.

Our second place drawing winner was @Stormtrooper1!! Crosstrek gets some R E S P E C T!

Thanks everyone who made this a great time with the stories and photos. Cody, thank you for the help and not winning. I really, really enjoyed this one. -Rick

klutz, Krazylegz1485, sneefy and 2 others like this.
  44. pleiades

Congrats @tangledupinblu, you've earned it. Here's to many more stories like those you've shared with us.
    download.jpg

Krazylegz1485, sneefy and silver03 like this.
  45. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ah shucks, I guess that's what I get for posting late to the party. Anyway, congrats to the winners! It was a fun contest... I had a lot of fun walking down memory lane of my Subaru history and seeing others' stories as well. Nice job @silver03

Krazylegz1485 and pleiades like this.