Ziptie Rally looking for new crew members

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by carl, Aug 24, 2011.

1. carl

carl Well-Known Member

The Ziptie Rally Team is looking to bring some new crew on board. We have built our team completely around MNSubaru members and are looking to keep that tradition alive. ZRT operates 2 different rally cars. Anthony Israelson drives one and lives in the Duluth area. I run the other car out of Golden Valley. We are mainly interested in people who live near these locations.

Being on a rally service crew entails a few different things. The first is prep work - this is where we get the vehicle ready to race. It may be simple maintenance such as removing and cleaning the struts or replacing ball joints. Alternatively it could be large scale such as rebuilding the motor, replacing parts of the unibody or a complete teardown of the running gear. Prep work also involves organizing the service equipment and spare parts (we bring a lot of stuff to a rally and have nearly every part imaginable on hand - from rear diffs to struts to knuckles to radiators).

The second part is on location work. This is where we actually travel to a rally (distances ranging from 2 hours north to Pennsylvania or further. We had planned for Maine this year until I wrecked the car). A 2 day national event will typically take 4 or 5 days time (with 2 of those being weekend days). While at the rally the service crew is expected to get the car through technical inspection, make any adjustment the driver wants for particular conditions, bring the service rig to various service locations and provide a number of maintenance tasks in a very compact amount of time. They are also supposed to drink a lot of beer and find all the taco bells and white castle's within a 50 mile radius.

Currently I am building a new car and am looking for immediate help on the project. The next opportunity to go to a rally is in October when we go to LSPR in northern Michigan. What we are looking for in crew is someone who has some experience with Subarus (can do a brake job or replace a strut without guidance as an example), is good at fabrication (bonus for welding as we do not have many welders besides myself and Tall Dan), can work independently on projects but also works well in a team environment, and can think critically on the fly (we often have 15 minutes to make a repair that would take 4 hours to do right. It has to last another 60 miles - this is where creativity and ingenuity come into play). Time commitment is typically 1 night a week and 1 day on the weekend. We can't pay you but you get team gear, will probably learn more about Subarus than you ever wanted to know and will have a lot of fun.

Please pm me if interested.
    -Carl Siegler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the new car we're in the midst of prepping. widebody gc8, 2010 ej257, gt2871r, gems ecu w/ full anti-lag, 6spd w/ gems programmable dccd
    [​IMG]

2. IzzySTi

IzzySTi Well-Known Member

Maybe add ability to drive truck and trailer, I mean the "Shed" and "FunTon" with trailers are kinda big!

3. carl

carl Well-Known Member

Yea it would be good if you're comfortable driving and towing larger rigs (although not critical as we typically have other crew who can drive them). Both trucks are F350's. Izzy's is a manual with open bed. Mine is actually a cab and chassis truck with a full box on the back. Izzy's rig gets quite long with the enclosed trailer behind it. I have a standard flat bed.

4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I'd call it slightly substandard. Brorrific though.

5. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

how much NOS does each crew member get?

6. carl

carl Well-Known Member

1 too many

7. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

is travel (food, lodging, ect.) paid for when traveling to a rally?

8. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Yet another reason I wish I lived in the cities...

9. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM

10. carl

carl Well-Known Member

lodging is always covered, food is partially