***01 FORESTER ENGINE ROUGH iDLES***

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by tooch pac, Aug 10, 2013.

1. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Looooong story short!!! I had a shop just put in an new used engine in my forester and now it throws back 4 engine codes which are are misfiring in cylinder #3, sensor in oil pan maybe bad, and the other two are 02 sensors from the exhaust! Was wondering, can anyone help ASAP!!!!!! Also, is this a huge problem, or an easy fix!!! Thanks! Get at me at 651-795-9793!!!

2. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Lay the "looooong" version on us. :)

3. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

First talk to the shop that did the work.

4. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Ok! Took a trip to Greenbay,Wi for the weekend and on way back! Motor blew and took to shop and they swapped it with new used engine but with my old transmission! So now, the shop wnt fix it no more and the motor now shakes like s...!! Anyways, I went back down there and slowly drove it back to mn again, I made it but, now it shakes and engine check lights on ad when I stop! It flashes!!!!! Help! If anyone's time, stopby! Help give a hand!!! Thx

5. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

I did! They said that the engine they got it from was from a salvage yard from a few months and that it might jux need to be driven awhile for it to go away!! I was like wtf! Sure!!! So the first time I went down to grab my car! I test drove it around the blocks and highway and it started smokin crazy! So I dropped it off at the shop again! Then drove back home to mn again! Then went their last week and they fixed that prob and now it shakes and they won't fix it anymore! Unless they charge me! So I took my car and slowly drove home! Luckly I made it and is now desperate to get it fixed!!!!

6. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Also, took it to autozone to get engine check light check and it threw out 4 codes! One is 3rd cylinder misfiring, sensor in oil pan is bad, and the other two are like 02 sensors from exhaust manifold!

7. thakrazymule

thakrazymule Active Member

Why!!! Are!!! You!!! Yelling!!!? Haha

tehfuzz and gc8 like this.
  8. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

The 02 sensors are on "probably" because of the misfire on that cylinder

You need to see why it's misfiring, could be a loose plug, wire, coil, injector or a burned valve, piston ring or blown head gasket

Do a compression test and also see how the oil, coolant and spark plug look/smell like

Do you feel a noticeable loss of power? Does the engine shake violently at idle? Blue/black/white smoke from the tailpipe?

I think it's burned valves, but it could be a simple loose spark plug like mine was a few weeks ago

tooch pac likes this.
  9. svxninja

svxninja Well-Known Member

Does the shop post they have a warrenty on labor or parts at all? because then technically they have to replace it but if it is a issue with something they had nothing to do with then your kinda stuck. but i would follow wongs questions

10. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

What reasons did the shop give you for refusing to work on it anymore? It sounds like they did a crap job and are trying to weasel out of it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  11. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Yeah thx! I was told to check and do those steps too, just wasn't sure and don't know how too. Today, ima have a shop take a look at it see what they say! Then I'll update ya! As of now, it doesn't smoke, seems like it might of loss some power But as far as the shop goes! They said theres a 90 day warranty on the engine only if it blows or not working!
    For the rough idle and shakin, they said its the motor itself and they'll charge to have it looked at. So yeah, it's a crappy job they did!

12. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

That's bull crap! From the sound of it (and it's hard to tell...) the motor never worked properly! They are responsible for sourcing a good motor and making sure it works when they put it in! Saying things like "it might need to be driven a while for [the shaking] to 'go away'" is pure BS! Go back to the shop that installed the motor and tell them they need to find another motor that actually works! Exclamation points!

TMF and tooch pac like this.
  13. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

I agree sneefy. The thing is, that's the only car I got, and I need it! I can't afford to have the stupid shop waste anymore time jux messin around not takin me serious jux because I live all the way in MN. Their a bunch of BS! Was wondering, Since I got the car here back at home, can someone who knows Subarus check it out. It took the shop Two months jux to find this crappy motor and they said it was from Ohio! It had to be shipped! A shop over here told me that's bs cause those motors are a dime a dozen! The shop just doesn't want to pay for a good runnin engine! Idk if that's true or not, but sounds true to me. So with that being said, I dnt wanna waste anymore time Goin back down there just to have my car sit in their parking lot! Oh! And the shop is called "Appleton Radiator" by the way. So now, I just want it fixed and hope its just a small problem. So if anyone here knows someone, or a good shop here that would take a look at it and see if they can fix it? That would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  14. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Don't go back, even with that 90 warranty, Go to either Devoted Auto Works in White bear lake, Nf in Minneapolis or Rs in Burnsville

15. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

I've heard of NF! I would like to go see what they say about my suby. Where exactly is it at? Is it a shop or members garage?

16. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Its in minneapolis. We are a shop.

17. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Nice, so, do I just go there and ask see if they take a look and see what could possibly be wrong? Could you give me the address?

18. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Ok, so I took the car to a shop I know, and they took a look at it. They said, I have a burnt valve. That's why it's causing the motor to shake. So I either have to replace the engine or sell it before it blows on me again! So, what should I do? Sell as is? I've put too much into it already! Can't afford to swap it again? I've called the shop that did the swap in the first place and they said they'll look for another motor but I have to pay for labor. I sure ain't gonna pay for another crappy motor! So I guess I'm just sell it. Wish I could keep it! Just had it for bout 3 months! Drove it for bout 1 month! Thats so whack.......

19. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Why do they have to replace the engine? Why wouldn't the shop that did the work replace the burnt valves and recheck valve lash and send you on your way?

phi11 likes this.
  20. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing.
    What happened to the old motor, were those head too bad to reuse?!

21. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Thats what im saying! Because that shop is obvious dumb and lazy! So now they said anythin I want them to do or that their suppost to do to the car I will have to be charged! They said they nevered checked if that motor was running or not? The people they bought that motor from said they tested it and it was good so when they recieved the motor, they put it in and it was knocking/rocking.
    So now idk anymore! Prob just sell it as is and take another huge loss. That was my first Subaru ever too! Just fell in love with it too.....too bad! I dnt know! Hate to deal with a shop so far away just over the phone!

22. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Just called and talk to the shop that did the swap! They said they'll charge me half the labor price to put another motor in for me! They said to replace the valves and stuff, is just as much work and cost as much as a new engine. What should I do guys?

23. SurlyOldManMN

Small claims.

24. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

25. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Stupid question but wheres NF shop located? Address?? I wanna have them check it out?

26. Ntxhuav_Khang

Ntxhuav_Khang Well-Known Member

Message Nuke or Fuji

27. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

He means small claims court.

I'd say demand a 100% refund for the irresponsibly crap work or threaten to take them to court.

SurlyOldManMN likes this.
  28. SurlyOldManMN

This. Cut to the chase and find out if they're going to stand behind their work or not. If not, then you can plan work with another shop accordingly. Likely while you bring a suit against the incompetent garage.

29. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

So? Ya think If I file a law suit, I'd win???? What's the chances? Anyone here tried it before? Anyone know a good inexpensive attorney also?

30. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

You guys have the Subaru meet today lake Calhoun right? I'll prob be there today around 5-6ish? If anyone can help look at it???

31. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

nope, I sure that It's at boom Island today.
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/tuesday-meet-quest-to-find-a-new-calhoun.43483/page-6

I don't think anyone can change a valve seat at boom island.

it looks like U-pull-r-parts has THREE engines that are the same as yours.
    if you only need one side, it would be $2 to get in, and $43 for the cylinder head.
    then you would just need a head gasket, valve gasket and coolant/oil.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    tooch pac likes this.
  32. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

What time at boom island? I'll try to make it there? Wanna meet people too! I prob have to bring my 6 yr daughter. Phi11, are you Goin to be there? We'll talk then! Thx for the update man! Noob here! Sry

33. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

nope, I work nights.

34. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

:bounce:What times the meet?

35. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

No need to sell just File a complaint with the Bbb
    Do not let them touch your vehicle again even if its free labor. They owe you a engine though and you could take it wherever you want to get it installed but that may or may not happen. Thats up the the shop/owner. I had to do this 4 years ago in a very familiar situation like yours.
    File a complaint through the bbb and see what they will do for you.

tooch pac and phi11 like this.
  36. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

also write a google review like this guy did:

37. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

38. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

39. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Also, Wong, you said you went through a similar problem in the past! How did it end up like? Who fixed it? You get your money back? Was it hard to go through all this?

40. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

It went well. They refused to fix it(head gasket) with a 2 year warranty but I went and filed a complaint through the bbb and 2 weeks later the shop said ok bring it in, well fix it free of charge. So the best thing to do right now is file a complaint and see what happens. They should replace/fix the engine if they want a good A+ rating and want to stay in business. It will take some time though. You may not here a response from that shop until maybe mid September if they want to resolve the issue. You may not here from them at all ever again if they don't care.
    Give it a shot, write and tell everything in detail and don't miss anything

tooch pac and phi11 like this.
  41. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Ok! we'll do. I'll give BBB a shot! will update you guys.

42. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Okay, I've just filed a claim through the BBB like mention earlier. Hope all goes well. Wish me luck guys....will update if any? Thanks for the helpful info's.

WLGT likes this.
  43. tooch pac

tooch pac Member

Just a quick note, I called and filed a claim to the BBB where my car was done in which is Appleton,Wisconsin and the lady who picked up my call from the BBB there told me that that same shop has had 2 complains in he past 3 yrs! It's gonna take couple weeks for everything to go thru in order to hear anythin frm them. So hope something good comes out of this? Guess I'm not the only one who got F'd over by that shop!

44. Ntxhuav_Khang

Ntxhuav_Khang Well-Known Member

That's sucks but hope everything works out for ya. Do what phi11 suggested if nothing happens w the shop.