06 Outback - Timing belt and other repair

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by klutz, Jul 6, 2017.

1. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

So... the wifey's 06 outback is around 105,000 miles and working great, but it's approaching time to get the old timing belt replaced. She brought into a local shop for some other repairs yesterday (transmission/differentials flushes, spark plugs, filters, etc) and they think the timing belt has a little life on it, but prepping us for the repair.

They suggested two repairs and quoted us for the work.
    1. Timing belt replace
    2. When replacing the spark plugs, they noticed that two seals which are supposed to keep oil out had some oil inside (forgive me, I do not know my way around an engine) - and suggested replacing these while they were doing the belt.

They quoted around $1,400 for the above work - is that reasonable? Should I get a few quotes from others (thinking of JM auto and any others that this community would suggest). I'm in St. Louis Park but am willing to travel...

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Osseo is not too far from St Louis Park! Go to JMA.

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Never hurts to get multiple quotes. That said the price is not unreasonable.

4. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

$1400 is ballpark for that work, since the timing service is about $1000 alone. Just get 2-3 quotes, including one form JMA. They did my timing belt service last fall.

5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Price seems about right. If you have a long relationship with this shop, they are convenient for you, and you trust them, I see no real reason to shop around.

6. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

If you would like a second quote just pm me your email and I'll send you a itemized quote over Tomorrow with everything you listed. Timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, and valve cover gaskets. Up to you but will only take me 2 mins. We have all those jobs saved as quick jobs in our system.

ocie and tangledupinblu like this.