2002 WRX engine build questions from a noobie

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by WWRX2002, Nov 23, 2016.

1. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

So here is what I was wondering if I where to build my stock 2.0 engine or swap it out for a 2.5 which is more cost effective and will probably last the longest in terms of reliability. I don't plan on building a high HP engine because of the weak transmission but I do want and 300-350hp daily if that seems reasonable. Estimate of cost as well if you guys could and if you could provide me which a local shop that will be willing to do it at a reasonable price too.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Stock 2.0 or 2.1 stroker build would be most cost effective. Probably can be done for $3-5k.

I went the 2.0/2.5 hybrid route and spent close to $7k. (I went with a brand new 2010 STi ej257 w/ 2002 WRX heads. The 2.5 is less reliable and has more weak points than the 2.0.

If you go full 2.5 swap, you'll need to swap ECU's and wiring, etc. 2.5 should be the most expensive.

I went with RS motors for the build and tune. Tuned at 19psi conservatively at 254hp/296wtq(to the wheels). It would definitely be cheaper, if you go the hybrid route, to use a used ej257. Either way it is a fairly expensive route and you burn up alot of oil because the 2.0 heads aren't meant to be paired with the 2.5.

JM Automotive out of Osseo is an excellent choice for the build and tune also! If you want to go 2.1L stroker...NF Performance was cranking them out for a while. Not sure if they still are or not.

Cliffs:Have your 2.0L built and ave money! :) That is all.

-Josh

Scott likes this.
  3. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Perfect!! for the 2.0 build your think 3-5k for the parts and labor as well?

4. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

Both builds are close to the same price, it more depends what parts you want in the shortblock then which size engine you go with. the 2.5 as a shortblock puts out a little more power as you modify your car but is less reliable if kept stock internals. 2.1 is a fun slightly cheaper build. you can actually do a full 2.5 longblock by using 2.0 cam sprockets and welding the intake avcs cam holes while utilizing a small adapter for the cam sensor. pm us on Facebook or email us if you have any questions. Www.facebook.com/jmautomn
    Www.jmautomn.com
    We currently have 7 engine builds going on right now so are about a week out, but will gladly get you any quotes or info your looking for. thanks.

tangledupinblu and Nhibbs like this.
  5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

LS7 swap. Jk what ^they said.
    With the addition of your goal of 300-350whp would probably definitely be death to your 2002 glass tranny depending on how you drive.

6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This.

The 2.0L turbo is one of the most reliable turbo subaru motors, while the 02 wrx transmission is one of the worst. Is your current engine having problems? If not, I'd say run your current motor, stage 2, E85, (maybe a fv39) until she blows and then rebuild if your heart still desires the wrx at that time. If the transmission goes, replace it with an 03+ 5 speed. I don't think any subaru 5 speed is going to last too long at 350 whp, but you might be fine at 300 whp...which is still plenty of power for a DD.

In my opinion, it really isn't worth building a WRX to over 300 whp. It will be "cheaper" in the long run to build an Evo or STI.

7. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Well the reason I ask is because the motor has about 196k miles on it and driving it this morning dumb me for not seeing it sooner it was all the way in the H on the temp gauge so I pulled over let it cooled down and added coolant and then drove it the rest of the way home. I pretty much took it as a sign of build me lol and maintain me too lol which is my bad.

8. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Pmed! also do you guys do any tuning there as well?

9. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

They do. Devin (their in-house tuner) is well-respected on this forum and in the Subaru community for his work.

jmyhre05 and WWRX2002 like this.
  10. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

If its the original block the heads will most likely need some work given the age and mileage (just valves if you're lucky, furnace weld cracks or scrap them entirely if you're not so lucky). Could have warped them this morning as well. I'd suggest having a good tech run through all the options with you. JM (jmyrhe05), as well as the others mentioned here, are all good options.

jmyhre05 likes this.
  11. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Yea could be this car is 100% stock and I know what you mean about the motor and if that happens then I'm just going to have to fix it because I do like this car alot and want to keep it for the long haul

12. jmyhre05

Yes, I've seen the 2.0 handle great power and seen them hit 360k miles and still run. the 2.0s don't get the spool up the 2.5 does but they are great engines if you keep the oil full and clean. all Subaru heads beat up exhaust valves and are almost maintenance every 100-150k (give or take).

But yes if your engine is still fine and your planning more power, usually the transmission will fail first before the motor due to the power.

tangledupinblu and TMF like this.
  13. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Exhaust valves and valve guides will need to be done at that mileage. The heads might be complete toast if valve lash was neglected in maintenance.
    Small cracks in the head are likely not a problem, but you'll need the heads pressure-tested to confirm that.
    The 2.5 is tempting because of the displacement, but the reliability track record just doesn't seem to hold up from what I've seen. A 2.1 stroker would cost about 4k-5k, I would guess. I'm currently building one myself and have about 3k into the parts and machining, I'm planning on doing final assembly myself.
    If you build, talk to an experienced builder and do it right. Try to find machine shops that know Subarus and have torque plates, otherwise you're buying one of those yourself on top of all the parts.

TMF likes this.
  14. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

Not so fast. I have a full 04 STI 2.5 long block. I blocked off the AVCS oil ports in the cams and used WRX solid cam gears. Then all of the stock 2.0 intake and stock wiring. The AVCS sensors and actuators are all left in their original places, just not used. I am currently at about 380AWP on mine.
    Terry

15. tangledupinblu

Nice! Thanks for the clarification Terry! When i had mine built, this was the best/only option that i was made aware of.

Good to know that there are other options for people looking to go hybrid or full 2.5l in their bugeyes!

Terry Ammerman likes this.
  16. Terry Ammerman

The reason I wanted the full long block was for the fact that this was the engine I built for my 05 LGT. I didn't want to loose out on the BC stage 2 cams I had in the heads.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  17. tangledupinblu

Makes sense to me! She lives!!!

Terry Ammerman likes this.
  18. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Is the 03 really better? That's good to know.

I'm in a similar situation. Higher mileage '03 that's basically "stage 2" currently. Would eventually like more power as well. Basically I should just do bolt on/tune mods until either the motor or tranny lets go, then at that point sounds like either a 2.1 and/or 6 spd is in order.

19. tangledupinblu

Or both!!

Krazylegz1485 and Cotts612 like this.
  20. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Well eventually, yeah. Gotta pace myself ya know.

21. Terry Ammerman

It's hit and miss with the 02-03 transmission . I have been lucky with mine so far, but no launches .

22. Taxiarchis Kourelis

Taxiarchis Kourelis Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong you guys but I think he should consider looking at "pre-built" staged blocks (such as IAG/outfront etc). I am researching the same thing and I asked my tuner and he mentioned that labor+parts end up being similar between getting a pre-assembled block (but brand new) versus building the existing one. This is especially important in this case where we are looking at a 160K miles block. Their open decks go for around 2.5K and are usually overbuilt. What do you guys think?

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  23. tangledupinblu

Is that a short or long block for $2.5k? The heads would probably cost that much also if it's a short block. $2.5k for a long block is a no brainer tho!

24. Taxiarchis Kourelis

25. tangledupinblu

Makes sense for the price. It would save you in turn around time I suppose...but it doesn't seem like it would save you any money really.

It is a pretty good deal tho! Wonder how much shipping would be on top of that cost? And how much it would cost to get heads for it also.

26. tangledupinblu

Buy today and save nearly $300 bones! Lol

IMG_3888.PNG

27. Taxiarchis Kourelis

120$ with UPS ground. And they ship in a secure case. Yup today is 10% off :)
    Why not use existing heads? Maybe refresh valves but everything else should be ok right?

28. jmyhre05

We pretty close to match the price of the IAG blocks (minus the sale price). most of our builds are with new case halves and drop in Manley pistons as they do as well. even a block with 12k miles on it we have seen the cylinder walls out of round and always out of spec for drop in pistons by that time. then you gotta wait for a torque plate bore and hone to 99.75, which takes times and makes the stock sleeves thinner and weaker. we currently have 4 Subaru blocks and 1 Evo block waiting for bore and hone. and between that time we built 2 brand new ones this week for other customers and got them turned around within a week with heads rebuilt as well.

29. Taxiarchis Kourelis

Which shop do you represent? I would like to look into local options when i build mine.

30. jmyhre05

31. Terry Ammerman

+one for JM Auto.