Axles the same from Automatic to Manual? 2005 OBXT

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by JasonoJordan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

So I have a torn boot on my passenger side and the axle is starting to click.
    Car is a 2005 Outback XT with an Automatic.

My question is this. Is the automatic and manual axles the same? They have a different part# but I know this does not always mean they are different.

2nd part of the question. If they are the same does anyone know if the standard outback and the OBXT uses the same axle.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

The Subaru reman axle list shows one part number for 05-09 Legacy and Outback "all except Turbo". So looks to me like Auto and Manual should be interchangeable.

If you just have a torn boot, the most reliable repair is to just replace the boot...

tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. JasonoJordan

Is it still good to go with a regrease and new boot even if they are currently clicking or does subaru sell Ujoints to replace at the time of rebuild as well?

4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Pull the joint apart and inspect to see pitting or wear thru the heat treat....If no then repack & replace boot. You can do a boot without removing the axle completely if its the inner joint. Google search or I can find it for ya

5. JasonoJordan

Removing the axle completely does not concern me primarily because on that same side I need to replace the lower control arm bushing so I plan to just replace both sides arms and bushings as well as tie rods and ball joints at the same time as rebuilding both ends of the axle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VAKVD8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I34Q9VJ8DFNPFB&colid=259BO8T6OCESG
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QR12FY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IKOH418Z6PDR7&colid=259BO8T6OCESG
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C561WY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1BXJC1SQPGV67&colid=259BO8T6OCESG

6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

https://mnsubaru.com/threads/axle-shaft-rebuild.26725/

If you're going aftermarket with the TRE and BJ, I'd highly recommend getting them from a local source, as you'll probably be warrantying them.

OE ball joint is MSRP of $41.25 (plus hardware), and I grabbed a random TRE off the shelf and it's $49.95, and I think Morries still does the 20% off...

7. JasonoJordan

Yes Morries does still do the 20% off. Have you had a bad experience with Moog parts to suggest going OEM? Just curious on your train of thought. I have used pretty much excursively white-line on my other cars I had and never had an issue with any of them but white-line is a bit over kill for this situation being its just a year round daily driver not something I'm trying to get track ready.

8. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I have been satisfied with Moog and will only install that brand for suspension/steering parts.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, I've used 5 aftermarket ball joints in the past 5 years or so in 3 different Subarus, 2 of them Moog (I have no reason to believe Moog is anything more than a label these days, I've seen Federal Mogul and 555 branded parts in a Moog box). Longest any of them lasted was a year. When I started working here, I realized that the OE ones aren't really any more expensive....I've switched all 3 cars over, and had zero problems with them.

I use a lot of aftermarket parts, but OE ball joints are better, and the savings is maybe a couple dollars

tangledupinblu and JasonoJordan like this.
  10. JasonoJordan

Thanks for the clarity and your personal experience with them. This is really my 1st time venturing off into the world of none performance aftermarket so any other incite on items you would advise either OEM or performance aftermarket only is appreciated.

11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Our 2004 Outback had a Moog axle put in about a year before we bought it. Had to have it replaced right away...so it lasted a year.

Sounds like "par for the course" is the proper "insert" here.

12. JasonoJordan

I plan to stick with an OEM axle. My plan was to buy a used lower mile OEM then rebuild the one that came off the car for the next time I have one go out.

13. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

OEM reman axles are usually around $140-$180 at morries, and in my experience, if the first one last 10-15 years, I'll sure get a second one even at that higher price.

Don't replace the balljoint unless it needs to be replaced. Subaru ball joints tend to be really reliable in my experience and last 200k+ miles before needing replacement. Sh*t can seriously go wrong when replacing them too.

Attached Files:

14. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Napa axles work fine IME.

joebush44 and silver03 like this.
  15. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with NAPA axles in my lifted Impreza OBS. I replaced the OEM front axles shortly after lifting it, with EMPI brand (which I had heard good things about) and they only lasted about a year. I've been running NAPA front axles for 2+ years now and no issues so far.

16. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

To add another side to the discussion, I've had an Empi axle from Vatozone in my car for several years now with no issues. Maybe I lucked out and got a good one. That or my car's just tired enough it doesn't have that axle snapping power anymore.

joebush44 and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

IIRC, EMPI changed hands within the last few years.

18. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

My suspension geometry is all out of wack due to running the Forester struts without using the subframe spacers to lower everything down closer to the plane that the hubs are on. So the axles are angled significantly more than a stock or lowered suspension would be. I'm sure that doesn't help in my case!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  19. JasonoJordan

I can confirm there are differances between either the OBXT and the LGT or between Auto and Manual. I got a axle from a LGT manual of the same year as my OBX and they are different.

So we are going to give a napa axle a whirl and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  20. JasonoJordan

See attached

Attached Files:

21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

at least it was freeeee

JasonoJordan likes this.