Control arm recall

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by scotty, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

link didn't work for me... does anyone know for sure if aluminum control arms / My06 wrx or sti's are included in the recall?

2. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

al, control arms are not included in the recall. I just had my appointment and my '02 pass the test. dealer said it is hit or miss, they've had only 2 cars fail the test. One was an '07, the other an '04 I believe.

3. 1meanrex

1meanrex Well-Known Member

Hmmm so I just got this letter in the mail too, but what's weird is I own an 04 sti. Could I have been driving an 04 wrx all these years! :eek:

4. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had any experience with this recall? I am bringing my 03 WRX in on Wed, for a thursday appointment, just curious

5. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

Both arms on my car failed, apparently no dealers have the parts so I have my car back and I will have to wait for the parts

6. derp

derp Well-Known Member

does this apply to legacy?

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has just announced a safety recall covering
    295,123 vehicles, a pair of Subaru models and a close relative from Saab. The recall concerns front control arms that may fail if corroded, making the vehicle difficult to control. The action covers select 2003-2008 Forester crossovers, 2002-2007 Impreza models and some 2005-2006 Saab 9-2x hatchbacks, the latter heavily based on Subaru mechanicals.

8. derp

derp Well-Known Member

word.

9. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything about the replacement arms for sedans?

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Not yet, seems like it's still a 2-3 month waiting list to get into Morries. I'm on the list...but not holding my breath tho. I know the fellas out there are going as fast as they can tho. When i saw the list, it was like 4-5 pages long.

I'm sure that FHI is having issues keeping up with the demand since there are nearly 300,000 that were recalled.

11. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Yup, we still have almost 50 sets on backorder, with no light at the end of the tunnel. If your arms are REALLY bad, and we have to put you in a loaner, they seem to ship them faster, usually within a few weeks, as rentals get expensive. But not many cars have REALLY bad arms.

12. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

its really not a big deal to me, I am surprised that my car needed new arms anyway, I haven't seen the punch areas (although I have not looked hard). Just trying to get and idea when they might be replaced

13. Glock_Turbo

Glock_Turbo Well-Known Member

will damn i'm late! never recieved a letter, maybe since i moved last year. oh well by now it should be easier to get a appt?

14. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Have to see if yours qualifies for the recall depends on where yourcar is from if recall pentameters are the same

15. Glock_Turbo

Glock_Turbo Well-Known Member

yeah figure i call in to white bear subaru(don't really wanna go there from the bad service i recieved) but is the closest 1 and give vin #

16. svxninja

svxninja Well-Known Member

Yup have to still do that....better do it before winter...

17. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I took mine in last week and it failed the test so new control arms had to be installed by the dealer. I didn't take a 'before' picture but it was definately in need for a replacement. Probably would've only lasted another year or two.

On a side note, I've never had a better service experience than at Luther White Bear Subaru despite the fact that I brought it in to be serviced under a recall. They seriously treated me like royalty from start to finish. It took a day for additional parts to arrive but I was provided a loaner to drive around in (2012 Forester).

Attached Files:

18. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

EricS, BroCo, derp and 1 other person like this.
  19. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

BUMPing this thread from the depths.

I have been reading some conflicting information regarding the recall work for the 92x. I called the Subaru 1800 line and they said they would have absolutely nothing at all to do with the car. The lady on the phone had no information whatsoever and consulted the google!

Any 92x owners that could chime in on the matter?

The way I see it. It was built by Subaru. All of their engineering and parts went into this vehicle and they produced it. Shouldn't the work then be completed at a Subaru Dealership?

Is there even a Saab shop in town? If it ended up being that Saab dealers would have to perform the recall service who do they get the parts from???!!!!

:dead: Soooo confused!

20. CarpalTomO

CarpalTomO Well-Known Member

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the Saaburus have aluminum lower control arms?

EDIT: I'm wrong, they have the stamped steel arms just like the impreza model.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  21. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

They are identical to the Impreza models. Sometime this week I'll try to get in touch with Schmelz and see what they have to say. Makes sense to me that if Subaru made the recall they should warrant the work. Not a Saab joint that sells Volkswagons.. :frantic:

22. NastyLeggySS

NastyLeggySS Well-Known Member

Anyone have an updated link to vin numbers affected? Can you still get this done?

23. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

Yea you can still get it done.

24. terrorgen

terrorgen Member

Just got my wife's '02 Impreza OBS done at Morrie's Subaru Brooklyn Park about a month ago.