Custom Powder Coating - Powder Keg Custom Coatings

Discussion in 'Vendor Announcements/Sales/Discounts' started by PowderKeg, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Sky White Wheels
    [​IMG]

2. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Gloss Black Porsche Panamera Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

More Sky White Wheels!
    [​IMG]

4. ChubbyRacing

ChubbyRacing Well-Known Member

I have a set of 17's that are already P.coated white and want them redone a different color. Would I still be looking at $70 a wheel? I just won a $100 gift card @ the Morries event! Let me know

BroCo likes this.
  5. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I won the $50.00 gift certificate! Can't wait to get my winter rims done! Huge thanks to Powder Keg for their participation in the M.A.N. It was a huge success!!! I'll be talking to you real soon.

Steve

Ctracey218 likes this.
  6. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Congrats on the win! 17s are actually $75/ea and the way we treat previously powder coated items is we will give you an estimate when you bring them in of the worst case scenario price wise. For example, $20/ea for additional stripping and the way it works is if the previous powder coat comes off fairly easy (it all depends on the previous coating quality etc.) we won't charge anything additional and at the most $20/ea additional. Let me know if you have any other questions!

7. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Good deal! It looked like a great turn out, I wish we could have made it out. Let me know whenever you're ready to get going on them!

8. ChubbyRacing

There's no way to just put a different color on top of the current w/o blasting?

9. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Wrinkle Black Harley Parts & Boat Throttle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

^^^ Hot Foot!

11. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Metallic Gold BBS Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Nope.

And that Metallic Gold looks amazing btw!!

13. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Satin Black Bike Parts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ChubbyRacing

The guy that did my wheels said that he could just put them back into the oven to clean them surface and then just scuff them up a bit then lay a different color right over it. Does it depend on the company of the powder? He says he does it all the time...

15. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Sweet satin black bike parts;)

16. tangledupinblu

I'm guessing that it depends on the powder and the company. One of the members here just had a set of his rims done through PowderKeg and they offered to put a clear coat over the powdercoat. The place i went to put the clear in with the color. So it seems like different places vary in technique? I was told that a clean surface was required to do the p.coating and that you couldn't just do it over paint or a different layer of powdercoating (sandblasting to bare metal was required).

Maybe PKCC will chime in here sometime and give you a better idea of what they can and can't do?

17. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Some places will do it but I know companies don't like coating over other peoples work. If we were to coat over another company's coating then our finish would only be as durable as the coating underneath. Starting with bare metal is the only way we coat to provide the best possible finish and durability for the parts.

ofspunk7 and tangledupinblu like this.
  18. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

I've never really heard of mixing in a clear. Mainly because most colors will have a different chemistry and cure schedule than clears so I'm not sure how they get around that. We apply our clear as a whole other top coat so we fully cure the base color and then fully cure the clear top coat.

19. tangledupinblu

I thought that coating over a pre-existing coating sounded like a real shotty was of going about it. Cheaper, yes...quality, no. Thanks for the response!

20. tangledupinblu

Well i can show you mine sometime! He literally said that the mix was 10% clear/90% black for my mattes finish, and 90% clear and 10% black for the other set. The other set looks wet with all of the clear in it. He said that he used the same black for both sets, the amount of clear that he mixed in determined the amount of gloss in the finish. They both turned out really good! But your way sounds good too! It's interesting to know that different places use different techniques. Thanks again for the response to said questions!

So one more for you, the pics above of the different finishes (satin/matte or glossy)...are any of them with clearcoat on them? Or do the different colors actually have that glossy finish in them? Gloss Black Porsche Panamera Wheels...are those cleared over the top of the black?

21. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Most colors (exluding most metallics, candies, specialty colors etc.) have some component of a clear in them as far as exterior/UV protection. There are some formulations of powders that are rated for indoor use only so they will fade if you use them for exterior purposes or at least not hold up as well. None of the colors I have posted so far have had a clear applied to them with the exception of Black Chrome which requires a clear. The Porsche wheels were done with just our Gloss Black powder. Feel free to post up any other questions you have, I don't mind answering them at all!

22. tangledupinblu

I see! So it sounds like the "gloss colors" come premixed for you. The guy that i've been using actually mixes his own percentage of gloss/clear into the color which allows multiple finishes from matte to glossy to extremely glossy. There isn't a pic yet that you've posted of your work that i haven't liked! Quality looking work and you provide waaaay more color choices than my current coater does! Looking forward to future business with PKCC!;)

Thanks again!

23. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd drop into your vendor thread and say I was very happy with my experience with Powder Keg.

They were easy to work with and very friendly; didn't mind taking the time to answer several of my questions. They have a huge selection of little color cards to look at (but I think you guys should paint one of these slightly larger cards that you have - http://i.imgur.com/vwrFv.jpg - with every new color you do, it's easier to visualize how it'll look with an actual painted item that's a little larger ;) ). Their pricing is also clearly laid out, and seems reasonable - I personally appreciate that a lot.

The wheels they had in the shop on the days I stopped in looked great, and I'm very happy with how mine turned out, too! Thanks again!! :)

Here's my 5zigen original FN01R-C 17x7's in Kingsport Grey:

[​IMG]

PowderKeg likes this.
  24. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^^^+1 on a good experience. Stopped in today to pick up the motorcycle parts I had done(see post #103) and they turned out great!

PowderKeg likes this.
  25. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

They look great! In person how does the Kingsport compare to the Crystal Grey?

26. qstarin

I was able to see the Volk's they had done in Crystal Gray when I dropped my wheels off. The Kingsport Grey is a bit lighter and it has a bit more of the metallic silver fleck in it. Both are on the darker end of the spectrum imo.

turkeylord likes this.
  27. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Thanks, they both look great but it's hard to tell the differences from a computer screen.

28. qstarin

I agree, colors need to be seen in person. For example, the Black Chrome looked very different from what I expected. The photo of a wheel done in black chrome looked very dark, but in person black chrome was very silver.

29. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

We actually do do that with all colors we shoot. We have a book of about 50 of those bigger swatches, we just didn't have a Kingsport swatch until after you!

qstarin likes this.
  30. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Tiffany Blue Lug Nuts
    [​IMG]

31. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Black Chrome Subaru Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Zesty Teal Puch Moped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Kingsport Grey Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

qstarin likes this.
  34. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Neon Pink
    [​IMG]

35. WRXwagonMAFIA

WRXwagonMAFIA Member

hey guys. love the kingsport grey and am thinking of getting my wheels done. will probably stop by soon to get a quote.

do you guys also buy wheels for display purposes or trades? like do you have a set that would go on my scoob that we could trade the my wheels for and id pay for pcing or are all of these customer wheels?

36. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

Do you powercoat intercooler piping? Can I get a quote?

37. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

From the two times I've been there I'm sure these are all customer wheels.

Looks like $1.50-2.25/inch
    http://www.powderkegcoatings.com/ourpricing

38. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

All of the pictures posted are customer wheels, we did buy a few sets of wheels that will be used for display when we get some time to work on them. Let me know when you'd like to stop by!

39. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Your work looks outstanding! Are powdercoated wheels more or less prone to chipping than having them painted? thanks

40. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Thank you! Powder coated wheels are much less prone to chipping etc. than traditional paint.

41. theMan

theMan Member

Would i need to fix my scratches on my wheels before powder coating?

42. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

It depends on how deep they are, blasting will take care of surface scratches etc. but deeper gouges will show up in the final coating. The cleaner/smoother you bring them in the quicker we can get them back to you as well as the better they will look. We ask that you bring in wheels clean (no dirt, brake dust etc.) no valve stems and no weights.

43. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

(sorry for the poor lighting)

Satin Black Rota Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

More Satin Black Wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. svxninja