GUNS!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jerf, Dec 18, 2012.

1. derp

derp Well-Known Member

9mm with flyin ashtrays (hydra shoks) will have plenty of punch ;)

2. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

And that's why I use the .40S&W version in my XD40V10 (ported baby!) for home defense.

One of the only nice things about TX, that home defense, AKA "castle law", extends to my car. Therefore got the 12 round mag locked in, ready to pop the stupid SOB who decides my place looks like a good target.

3. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I personally wouldn't recommend anything ported for a home defense situation. The vertical muzzle blast tends to obscure your sight picture and at night can be downright blinding. Not an ideal thing for engaging someone, especially in a low light/no light situation.

MCXL likes this.
  4. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Quick question, regardless of what I pay for a C&C class I have to pay $100 to apply for a C&C? Just curious since I'm looking at a couple of deals. That's how it was explained to me but I thought I'd ask you guys.

5. ShortytheFirefighter

Correct, the actual permit is around 100 bucks and is in addition to the class costs.

6. Mr.Tran

Ok thanks!

7. ShortytheFirefighter

Anytime!

Give it 30 days or so, I've heard the wait right now is getting up there since everyone and their sibling is applying.

8. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Okay, I was basically talked out of getting my C&C by someone who has his, can they really pull you over at any time to make sure your **** is properly whatever'd? He actually went out of his way to avoid it, because he was getting harassed so much, he registered his truck to his wife. He got pulled over for speeding and got pulled out of the vehicle and disarmed too. Sounds like more hassel than I want. Anyone else have experiences like this?

9. Mr.Tran

Never heard of such a thing.

10. AWDimprezaL

Maybe it was just in a specific area, (I believe the anoka/ramsey area)

11. ShortytheFirefighter

Never.

They have to have probable cause to pull you over in the first place, merely having a carry permit isn't it. Now, if you're speeding and you get pulled over your best option is to have your license, insurance card and carry permit in your hands on the steering wheel and notify the officer in a calm voice that you're a permit holder and you're currently carrying and ask what he would like you to do. Odds are you will probably be taken out of the car and the officer will take your gun for the duration of the stop as it's an officer safety thing. Tall Dan can probably shed more light on this, I haven't been pulled over while carrying.

That being said, if you're not the type to get pulled over on a regular basis then you likely won't be in the future just because you've got your permit to carry. When you take your carry class, one thing they'll go over is that you don't want to be attracting any attention to yourself if you can help it, especially with road rage stuff (honking horn, finger, etc) because you don't want to be the one that started the situation.

12. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

One of you guys should open an indoor range out in the western subububs.

13. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

I appreciate the concern, but it's all good, I keep a high powered LED flash light with it that has a strobe function. That's going to be replaced with an under mounted light eventually, then I have a useful second hand. I've even night practiced with it that way, and with the lack of distance in a home defense situation, my controlled pairs are going to be a kill shot. Even with the longest possible shot inside the house. And yes, I have fired (and hit) under duress, back in a quite hot country. So no worries Shorten (sp?) I have the situation under control here, so don't worry your smug avatar (TLJ is the man, btw, just remembering something about something recently, and bunch of people having the same avatars. You're the only one with TLJ now right?). ;)

14. ShortytheFirefighter

No, Erik and Surly are also sporting him.

I was the first though, as well as the most smug. ;)

Just looking out for you, and thank you for your service! Sounds like you've got the situation in hand.

15. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

Lol, all good, I appreciate the double check (hey, Rogers!!!). No prob, thanks for thanks. Wasn't sure if I remembered seeing multiple TLJs lately, or not. Keep the smugness up sir. :lol:

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  16. Gridlocked

The only place I've been able to find a Springfield XDm magazine is on the manufacturer's store.
    Any suggestions where one may find a more aggressive price?
    OR, can beggars not be choosers right now?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  17. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Permit to carry.

Not conceal and carry.

badbennyb likes this.
  18. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I believe that i found spare mags on ebay. Some pawn shop was selling them new in the packages and there were many to choose from. They were alot cheaper than the manufacturer too!

19. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I heard that they have to process teh permit to purchase quickly or else within 30days the person is automatically approved... A Sheriff up North was saying they hired extra staff after the shootings at the school, to help with the applications so the guys who shouldve have one didnt get the auto approval... I wonder if a similar thing happens with the C&C...

Also isnt the Permit to carry teh same thing in MN?? if you have the permit it means you can carry it which is either open or concealed??? Or Derp do you mean P2P (Permit to Purchase??)

20. derp

derp Well-Known Member

There are two separate permits that you can get in the state of MN.

One is a permit to purchase. This allows you to purchase, but not carry, a pistol (as well as, if i recall, the EVIL BLACK RIFLES aka semi autos with pistol grips)

The other is a permit to carry. It allows you to carry a pistol in the State of MN, and affords you the option of choosing to open carry or carry concealed. The permit to carry also functions as a permit to purchase, but not the other way around.

Permits to purchase, if I remember correctly, have to be grantet/denied w/in 7 business days, otherwise they are automatically granted. Permits to carry are supposed to be w/in 30 days. If denied, you have the opportunity to appeal.

People seem to confuse a permit to carry with a 'conceal carry' permit all the time. There's no such thing. It's a permit to carry, and the individual has the right to choose if they carry concealed or open carry. The merits of each are a separate discussion entirely.

Musashi likes this.
  21. Gridlocked

When I applied for the permit to purchase a few weeks ago, I was talking to the clerk. She said that for quite some time, there ways maybe one or two a month. Over the past four to five weeks, however, she was surprised when she didn't see four to five a day. I got mine in a week.

22. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I got pulled over twice last summer and in both instances I handed the officer my license, insurance and permit to carry and only once did the officer ask me where my gun was. I never got harassed about my gun or was ever asked to see it.

23. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

These are currently enroute to me, brings the USP count up to 6 mags, I managed to snag them at a lower price than before the craziness started even, quite pleased with my efforts to find them.

Attached Files:

24. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

I called on friday for a carry class, went the next day and spent 3.5hrs in class and was all done. There is no waiting up here an the class costs $75 which my work pays for.

KA-T_240 likes this.
  25. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

What do you do that pays for a carry class?

Mr.Tran likes this.
  26. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

I work at a iron ore mine

27. ShortytheFirefighter

kongzilla likes this.
  28. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I know this.. I think maybe I just mis-understood how you had written it previously in your post....

I have the P2P and will be going the permit to carry when I return from Australia in a month... and p2p is 1yr -free and the p2c is 5yrs -$100 approx plus class cost

29. AWDimprezaL

So I went to cabelas and got a flawless mosin-nagant, very excited to put some rounds through it. Turns out they wont let me fire it at my local range.....wtf. Luckily I have a father in law who loves guns and has a farm.

30. ShortytheFirefighter

What range and why wouldn't they let you shoot it?

Also, what is Cabelas charging for a Mosin these days?

31. yarpirate

yarpirate BANNED

^ what he said

32. AWDimprezaL

$149, the one in monticello, dont remember the name of it, but he said in the winter they only shoot handguns? Or smaller caliber rifles, .22s and such. I dont get it either.

33. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Just took my CC class this weekend. Now off to the sheriff's office! Then to Cabela's (or Fleet Farm or one of the local shops).

34. AWDimprezaL

35. ShortytheFirefighter

It might have been an ammo issue. IIRC most 7.62x54 ammo is steel core ammo.

36. AWDimprezaL

Probably, its definatly not a FPS issue.

37. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

what.^^ ive never heard of anything like that.

if you are carrying a gun while stopped by the police: if your wallet is in your butt pocket on your carry side make sure you mention that before you reach for your butt. if a gun grip appears when you are legitimately going for a wallet you will be in a world of hurt.

tell the officer that you have a permit to carry, you are carrying, and your wallet is on the same side. be prepared to exit the vehicle.

if your personal information is already accessible w/o reaching for anything (wallet on the seat etc), inform him or her that you have a permit, provide permit and whatever else is requested at the time.

moral of the story, the more up front you are the better.

Dont get all pissy if asked to step out of the vehicle, don't become a dick spouting off "i know my rights" "you are unconstitutional whats your badge number, im suing you"

remember everyone lies to cops, cops believe very little of what people say on the first approach of a traffic stop. So when a gun is present or a person carrying a gun is in a vehicle, the police will deal with it accordingly all officers handle things differently based on training and good or bad experiences. And always remember, on a traffic stop, you, the driver did something wrong to get your self stopped the cops are just doing their job.

stay safe.

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  38. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

I have not carried a gun in MN, but when I was up living in alaska if you had a gun in the vehicle you were required to inform the officer the moment they approached your window.

39. Gridlocked

I picked up something a bit cheaper to shoot yesterday.
    And something that will be a lot easier and more enjoyable for my wife to shoot than the .40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. Gridlocked

I picked up some .22 rounds the other day and didn't look close enough at the box.
    If any of you could use any Winchester Super X .22LR no. 12 shot. let me know. $5.00 per box of 50.
    Last time I do that.

41. AWDimprezaL

Put a couple of boxes through the mosin on sunday (at my inlaws) my shoulder has a massive bruise, awesome.

42. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Wear protection

43. ShortytheFirefighter

If you want, you could also look at a Limbsaver stick on recoil pad. They do a nice job on making recoil more livable.

44. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

[​IMG]

45. Gridlocked

HA! Tell me about it.