Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ron, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Ron

Ron Member

So, my Friday night was going very well but hit the dumps at 1050pm. I was cruising around until the car in the left lane decided to all of a sudden turned in to my lane at the last minute. They clipped my car and I have minor damage to my mistress. But how should I go about getting them to pay for it when they have ZERO insurances. And let me put more info to this they were a minor also. The car is drivable just driver fender pushed in a little and also bumper as show in the pics. I know I could probably take them to small claims court but I was wondering if anyone has done this or just claimed it against your own. Cause, if I have to pay a $500 dollar deductible. I might as well save up the other $600 and get the CF fenders for my car. Just need some thoughts that is all. Oh also I do not want any shop to just pop the **** out. I want a new damn fender. Sorry if the pictures are show up large. Thanks for your advice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Did you call the police and get a report filed?

Jerf and clajiness like this.
  3. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Like asked about, did you call the police? Did you get their information? I will tell you the best way to handle it is to deal with YOUR insurance company and let them take care of the rest, usually though without a police report you will have a hard time convincing your insurance company that "This guy" hit your car unless when the insurance company calls him he actually confesses to it. At that point your insurance company will subrogate the claim against him and will try and get their money back from him. If he was a minor his parents should have insurance on SOME car and therefore you may have a claim there.

4. Ron

Ron Member

Yes, I did have the police show up. Cause when they hit me, they tried to take of but i followed them until they pulled over.

5. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

...and this is why I have a dash cam.

Cotts612 likes this.
  6. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

The police didn't do anything about them driving without insurance?

7. Ron

Ron Member

They received a citation and that was it. And yeah I plan on getting a dash cam put in first week of nov.

8. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

9. Ron

Ron Member

Thanks for the post on the dash cam.

10. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I have this one and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/ChiTronic-Upgraded-Blackbox-Ambarella-Processor/dp/B00XJTS8SA/

As far as collecting the money, the kid is going to have little to no incentivecoverage. h up short of taking them to court. You should file with your insurance, it falls under uninsured /underinsured coverage. They may or may not try to go after the kid (probably not) but depending on your coverage it may not fit under your collision coverage and there may not be a deductible.

File the claim, then see where you can go from there.

11. Ron

Ron Member

Yeah, I figured that I would just file the claim through my insurance. And see what they quote is on the dmg. And go to my body shop that I take my cars too and see what they think. My only issues is that the WRB color can really hard to match. Has anyone had issues with this or just depends on the shop?

12. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to my mom last week. Someone ran her off the road into median. Lucky the wheels only got curbed instead of the entire car.

13. gtcruiser33

gtcruiser33 Well-Known Member

Years back I was rear ended by a guy with no insurance, and the cops didn't show either due to it being a bad ice storm and them being deployed to more serious accidents. We filed through our insurance, with the guys name, plate info etc. I believe our insurance ended up sending what they were owed to collections.

14. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

A good shop will be able to do it. And redo it until it's correct.

I had a Saffron Metallic Pearl Volvo V70R that needed some paint work after a hail storm. The shop I took it to did an excellent job matching it, they had a rep from the paint company come out and help to make sure it was perfect.

15. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

They'll end up blending the fender and bumper into the driver's door and the hood. Just about the whole front of the car will end up getting new paint. Make sure you choose a shop with a lifetime guarantee on their work (some insurance companies will also offer this if you go with one of their preferred shops). I think your best bet is to slip the guy doing the work an extra $500 in cash to take his time and not cut corners and don't treat this job like the other 100 he will do this year. A good eye can pick out body work on 9 out of 10 repairs...there is always something. Good luck. Too bad the little uninsured jackass didn't try to merge into a Peterbilt.

16. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Which shop?

17. Ron

Ron Member

Yeah, I am looking to go to LaMetty's near my house.

18. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Monticello Autobody in Monticello Mn.

19. strangefamous

strangefamous Well-Known Member

I am an auto damage estimator at a shop here in the twin cities. I deal with customer's coming in all the time that are in your same situation. The problem with going through your own insurance is that you will have to pay your deductible and you MIGHT have a rate increase after using the claim that you file. You can have that conversation with your insurance provider. Ask them if your rates will go up on a Liability claim, if this person accepts liability. You can file as many claims as you want but you don't have to use them if you dont want to. What I would recommend doing is talking to the person that hit you and see if they are willing to pay you for the damages. If they are, I would go and get a couple of estimates at a couple of different shops. Show them the estimates and have them give you a cashier's check for the repairs for the estimate that you both agree upon. Make sure you let them know that there could be additional hidden damage and that it is just an estimate. The cost may go up when you have the repairs done but it may not. Based off the photos I can tell you that it should be a pretty straight forward job. I don’t anticipate a huge increase in cost. The reason I say Cashier's check is, pretty much every shop will not accept 3rd party payments even if the person that hits you calls the shop with a credit card number. The shop would have to collect the money from you. Also you would be covered as they would not be able to cancel or back out on a cashier's check. I would be more than happy to help you with an estimate and repairs to your vehicle if you want to give me a call. I work in Bloomington. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I can even give you the MN Subaru discount :) Shoot me your VIN and contact info if you want I can write you a sheet based off the photos you just posted if you want.

20. Ron

Ron Member

Shoot me a pm with you info and I can swing by tomorrow.

21. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Dang! Sorry to se/hear about this Ron! I saw it when I went by earlier today. Hope all works out for you.