Local Tuner open source

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by WilliamSTian, Jul 10, 2017.

1. WilliamSTian

WilliamSTian Active Member

Hey guys-

I owned a 2006 STI years back, built motor, Front mount, FP Red, all the bells and whistles. it was built by RS Motors in burnsville. Car made 450/410 WHP/WTQ, but ended up selling it due to an out of state move. I now have a 2008 WRX and I'm doing a few minor modifications like downpipe and intake, possibly exhaust. I was wondering who are the good local tuners? when i first had my STI and had only gone to 'Stage II', Bullwinkle tuned my car. Is he around anymore? what about Nuke? I dont have an accessport or anything.

thanks for any info/advice, it's nice to be back in a turbo-charged subaru. I drove an impreza for years after the STI!

thanks guys

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

@jmyhre05 at JM Auto in Osseo seems to be the hot ticket lately.

RS Motors in Burnsville. DB Performance in Rogers.

I'm sure there are a few more and people will chime in. I feel like I've heard Nuke doesn't tune anymore?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Road tunes are nearly extinct in the Twin Cities for Scoobarus. I highly recommend Devin at JMA. Ronnie at RS can be tough to get ahold these days i hear, but an excellent choice! Db Performance is still a great option out in Rogers as well.

Nuke is still tuning big horsepower cars from my understanding, but not so much with anything smaller like stage 2.

I haven't seen Nate(Bullwinkle) on here for a loooooong time! Fairly sure that he is no longer tuning.

Nhibbs likes this.
  4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I bought some parts from Bullwinkle in like 2013/2014 when he was moving somewhere far away (I think maybe cali or washingon?). He seemed "all grown up" and definitely not tuning anymore haha. I got the feeling his wife didn't like all his car ****.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

He moved to CA like 5 years ago, old man.

6. tangledupinblu

Whaaaaat!? Speak up when you're typing to me you little whipper snapper!:grumpy:

7. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

At most, 4 years ago.

8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Realistically closer to 3. I used to work with him. But in the context of talking years and inches with Josh, I'll round up.

9. tangledupinblu

Well yeah.

10. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I round down. Leaves the boys less disappointed.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  11. Krazylegz1485

But does it bring them to the yard?

12. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

They come running when you crack a cold one.

13. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Bummer that Nuke isn't tuning the smaller stuff. I thought my tunes from him were always great.

Subscribing because I'd like to know for future options whenever I need to replace parts on my '05... which has been running a Bullwinkle tune for the last 70K miles!

14. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I am also curious because I bought a wagon with a nuke tune on it and want to make sure everything is kosher. Never know what people do before they sell a car. Car seems to be running strong though.

Silky21L likes this.
  15. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

I've had some personal experience with tuning my 13 sti on e85. I'm no professional by any means, but I've learned a lot about tuning subarus since stsrting and I haven't blown my car up... so there's that.

16. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

add yet

17. Mnelson

Yet.. I mean maybe. I stayed pretty conservative with my tune since I was worried about doing it myself. After all I've been through I'm pretty confident the tune will be the last thing that blows it up. My best guess will be a mechanical failure/leak (like when I blew the seals out of the TGV valves) or my own behavior. The tune itself is rock solid.

That being said, majority of my time went into learning how to make sure it's safe and not so much fast. The least I could do is share what I know. :)

18. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

To be safe you want the least amount of fuel, the most amount of boost, and all the timing possible. Flat 30 degrees spark advance from 3000 to redline. As long as you keep it lean and mean the small amount of fuel cant detonate and hurt your engine.
    :angel:

19. Mnelson

Knock is a natural engine noise that tells the ecu that the engine is on.

20. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Knocking is good, that way you know know you are getting the most power and not leaving any timing on the table.
    Detonation also increases cylinder pressure like crazy so you get gobs and gobs of torque!

Mnelson likes this.
  21. Krazylegz1485

I thought knocking was the next group of horsepowers standing outside waiting to get into the cylinders. Or maybe they're trying to get out because it's dark and scary in there?