Replacing Struts, shop or DIY?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Roboduck, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

Forgive the newbishness of the question but is it worth paying to get my struts replaced or should I give it a go myself? I've watched a few videos and guides, I know I would need a spring compressor and probably an impact wrench as I don't currently own either.

I don't have a lot of tools and have only done fairly minor repairs in the past (rotors, pads, exhaust) but most of the quotes I'm getting from my local shops are $1300+ so its tempting to just buy the tools and give it a go. So is it worth buying $300 worth of tools, $500 for new struts, $90 for an alignment (by Jeff) and risk trying it myself (free pizza and beer for anyone willing to help) or should I just suck it up and pay for it to be done (and if so any shop recommendations)?

2007 Subaru WRX Limited Wagon
    90K miles
    Tein H-Tech springs

Also, recommendations for struts? Looking at KYB Excel-G struts for around $110-$120 each.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

Damn I miss that car :(

I've done my own struts on a few cars including installing those H-Techs on your wagon. I have an impact but I rarely use it when doing struts aside from taking off the top nut of the strut and or cranking down the spring compressor. Otherwise a breaker bar/cheater does the trick nicely. Learned a few tricks along the way but its easily do-able in your own garage.

$1300 seems like a fairly high quote. Hit up NF Performance and see what they'll charge.

You can get KYB Excel-G for around $325 for all 4 at Rockauto.com

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions, lots of great write ups out there for strut installs.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  3. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Struts are easy. You just need a socket set and a loaner set of suicide sticks from your local auto parts store. And a can of PB blaster.

4. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

...and a large slip-joint pliers or large vise grip is handy.

5. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

If its rusty, a shop.

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. It's not too hard normally, but if any bolts are rusted/strip/break then it becomes a real headache. I would contact NF and see what they'll charge you before you decide if it's worth it to try yourself or not.

7. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

If you chose a shop, make sure that they are insured and will warranty the work.

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Strut replacement is relatively easy, but can be time consuming on your first job. A spring compressor is a must for safety.

I have a set of the Excel-g's that I may be parting ways with (less than 5k miles) - PM me if you're interested!

9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

If you buy new Excel-g's, they can be had for much cheaper at justsuspension.com

10. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll get the car up tonight and see how bad the rust is.

11. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

Might as well learn how to do it now, as you're going to be doing it alot on those Tein springs.

TMF likes this.
  12. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd recommend doing them yourself. It's fairly easy to do compared to most jobs and the for the same price you can get tools too. If you do the struts right you shouldn't need an alignment but it never hurts to get an alignment, especially if your alignment isn't perfect as of now.

13. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

The bolts are a pretty rusty :unsure:, I thinking id better leave it to the professionals before I get the car all torn apart then realize I'm stuck.
    [​IMG]

14. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I have a feeling NF will beat the local shop prices, send a PM

15. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Meh, I just did my gc struts not too long ago and they were much worse. the inly thing i got hung up on was a bolt that the previous owner put in backwards. It's really one of the easier jobs to do. What tools do you have now?

Tools you NEED:
    Jack
    2 jack stands (4 is even better)
    3/8" metric socket set
    1/2" metric socket set
    1/2" breaker bar
    Metric wrench set
    Pb blaster (or similar)
    Torch (heating up rusty bolts)
    Time
    Beer

You will also need the following if you aren't swapping fully assembled struts:

Spring compressors (rent)
    Pass through socket set

There are some other tools that make the job easier and faster but aren't necessary to complete the job.

16. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

I've got a jack, 2 stands and some sockets, that about it :(. I really need to increase my tool collection (might be a good excuse).

17. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

If you shop around you can get everything i listed above for a reasonable price. Do you have anyone that can help or loan tools?

18. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

I don't really have anyone to help or that has the the right tools but I'm willing to offer pizza and beer for anyone willing to help?Started looking for tools on Harborfreight, anything here that I don't need or am missing? I've got a metric wrench set and a 3/8" and 1/2" driver. I threw the impact wrench and torque wrench on there as I've wanted one for a while anyways.
    [​IMG]
    1/2" Drive 25" Breaker Bar
    Comment:

View Product | Add to Cart
    [​IMG]
    10 Piece 3/8 in. Drive Metric Color Coded Socket Set
    Comment:

[​IMG]
    13 Piece 1/2" Drive Metric Deep Wall Impact Socket Set
    Comment:

[​IMG]
    18 Volt NiCd Replacement Battery
    Comment:

[​IMG]
    1/2" 18 Volt Cordless Impact Wrench
    Comment:

[​IMG]
    Sta-Lube Moly Graph Lithium Grease
    Comment:

[​IMG]
    Single Action Strut Spring Compressor
    Comment:

19. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  20. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

Cool, didn't know you could rent them for free. The thread link seems to be broken though.

21. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Link fixed

22. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

The FSM also states to replace the nuts, but most ppl don't.

23. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I would definitely have help or at least a second car in case you need to go pick up parts.

24. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned this: if you have stuck bolts and PB Blaster isn't working heat the bolt head/nut up with a propane torch for 30 seconds, allow it to cool for a minute and turn it off. Works like a charm for me when necessary, I'm sure it's not a 100% success rate though.

25. 06TR

06TR Member

Struts are about the easist parts to replace. If your near rosemount i can help. May takr two hours tops.

26. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

I'm in Rosemount, off of 42 just past 3. I'd really appreciate the help, especially if you've done it before.

27. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

28. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

You can hit the bolt from the other side rather than the nut side above the axle boot just to crack it loose.

29. 06TR

06TR Member

:)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  30. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I would be glad to lend a hand depending on when. Also if you want any suggestions on tool purchases, let me know.

31. austinpike

austinpike Well-Known Member

Well that looks familiar...

Yeah, you might as well try yourself if you have the time. The most useful tool imho is access to another vehicle so you can go procure any sockets/nuts/bolts/food/beer you might need along the way. Something unexpected always seems to come up.

I'd be wary of the HF cordless impacts - that one might be fine, but they can be pretty hit or miss.

32. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

FYI, I have a corded Harbor Freight impact and it's no match for the strut bolts on my 2002 WRX. Time to buy a bigger breaker bar... And probably a torch.

33. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

I'll be giving it a go myself. Going to order the parts and tools tonight. I'm skipping the impact wrench for now (as it sounds like I won't really need it).

How long would you guess it would take to do all 4 if I have 1-2 people helping me? I'd rather not do it on a weeknight if I can avoid it but I'll be out of town the next few weekends. :/

34. that-dude

that-dude Well-Known Member

shouldnt take that long. took me about 2 -2.5 hrs by myself. with 2 people, we manage to do the swap in a little over 1 hrs. i highly recommend a torch for those rusty nuts! :)

35. 06TR

06TR Member

It certainly doesnt hurt to get a collection of tools going but the spring compressor is a bit of money to spend to only use once. Your still welcome to bring it by and im sure the two of us could get it done in short order.

36. vanyang17

vanyang17 Well-Known Member

If all fails let me know. I'm an assistant at Midas in Saint Paul and I can get you a pretty good deal. All of our work is warranted 1 yr parts and labor. Pm me if your interested.

37. Roboduck

Roboduck Active Member

I ordered parts and tools last night so they should show up sometime early next week. Thanks again for all the advice.